Sean McVay: Rams have three good RBs, still deciding how many carries they’ll get

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Sean McVay: Rams have three good RBs, still deciding how many carries they’ll get

Rams coach Sean McVay hasn’t determined who will fill the role of departed running back Todd Gurley, but he has no doubts that there are players on the roster who can do it.

McVay said that Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson and Cam Akers are all up to the task.

“We feel we’ve got three really good backs,” McVay said, via ESPN. “What does that mean in terms of the distribution of carries? I think that’s to be determined based on how things play themselves out and when we get a chance to actually compete in practice and in those live opportunities.”
McVay said his offense doesn’t need to identify one bell cow running back, but that he does feel good about the depth he has at the position.

“What we wanted to do was get a group that we felt really good about,” McVay said. “This enables us to say, ‘We’re not necessarily committed to any approach, it’s a feel for the flow of the game.’ But you’d like everybody to create a role for themselves, and we’ll see what ends up happening then.”

It’s anyone’s guess who will lead the Rams in rushing, but McVay sounds confident that all three backs are capable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Akers and Henderson are going to get the majority of the carries - something like 45%/40%. Brown gets the rest.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I’m glad we moved on from Gurley. Gurley clearly lost a step in whatever secret injury he has been nursing and the contract wouldn’t support anything less than top tier performance. Do we have 3 good backs that can fill the role? Maybe, maybe not but there was no way we could keep Gurley on the roster.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Akers and Henderson are going to get the majority of the carries - something like 45%/40%. Brown gets the rest.

I think this absolutely spot on with maybe the load increasing with which back is the most effective. Akers & Brown offer more in pass protection, but Henderson has the most speed and with it big play potential.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I can see where perhaps McVay might emphasize one of Akers or Hendy vs certain opponents. And certainly either one that has the hot hand on any particular Sunday.

But if all else is equal? I see Akers getting 60% of the snaps, if not more. I think fans are gonna fall in love with this kid.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
John Kelly : "What about me coach??"
McVay:
M7f1.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope they have three good runningbacks. But reality is that the Rams have two unproven guys and a backup. Two of them have had minor injury trouble already.

We all know that Browns hard running style has put him at risk in the past. Henderson was injured part of last year and rarely saw the field. Akers hasn't taken a snap yet.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I believe Brown will get a lot of opportunities early on. He's proven he can be productive when given the opportunity. I'd say certainly goaline and short yardage as he's the bigger guy. Also they trust him as a pass blocker as well. Henderson and Akers would then share the load as your primary 1st and 2nd down guys, and in the passing game as well as long as they're solid in protections.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I can see where perhaps McVay might emphasize one of Akers or Hendy vs certain opponents. And certainly either one that has the hot hand on any particular Sunday.

But if all else is equal? I see Akers getting 60% of the snaps, if not more. I think fans are gonna fall in love with this kid.

Totally, Agree! Rams Fans will LOVE Akers and he will be a Great Addition to the Rams Offense!!!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
John Kelly : "What about me coach??"
McVay:
M7f1.gif

It's a great position to be in honestly... When you have legitimate talent throughout the depth chart that you routinely forget about a quality player.

Any one of our RB's, including Kelly, has the potential / talent to be our difference maker on any given week.

Ram65

Legend
Funny how McVay says things to keep all three running backs engaged by not favoring one over the other early on.

The reality is that Akers will be the #1 running back. McVay didn't spend his first pick in the draft to have him be a backup. Akers has the goods to carry the load. The big question is, how many carries will Henderson get? The Rams were middle of the pack in rushing attempts in 2019 ranking #17 with 25.4 attempts per game while in 2018 they were #6 with 29 attempts per game. I think the Rams go back up to around 29-30 APG with a healthy Akers leading the way. Henderson is too explosive not to get his attempts in both the run and pass.

17-22 Akers
7-10 Henderson
2-3 Brown
2-3 WR/TE
2-2 Goff

I was surprised last year that Henderson didn't get much action in the passing game last year. The Rams were down from around 65 Passing Completions in 2019 to the running backs to around 35 in 2019 although Gurley and Goff missed connected at a higher percentage. They threw less to the running backs. Hopefully the Rams can get back to getting more completions to the running backs this year. The screen game wasn't nearly as effective as it was in the past. I think Henderson is made for big play screen passes. The good news is all three can catch the ball out of the backfield.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I was surprised last year that Henderson didn't get much action in the passing game last year. The Rams were down from around 65 Passing Completions in 2019 to the running backs to around 35 in 2019 although Gurley and Goff missed connected at a higher percentage. They threw less to the running backs. Hopefully the Rams can get back to getting more completions to the running backs this year. The screen game wasn't nearly as effective as it was in the past. I think Henderson is made for big play screen passes. The good news is all three can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Same. Seems like that had been a real strength 17-18--Goff was able to make pass rushers pay by dropping passes to TG over their heads, and it seems like throwing to backs would be a good adjustment to poor blocking up front. I must be missing something tho. Maybe protection just collapsed too suddenly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

The Rams prioritized Akers for a reason. They didn't go RB there with their top pick to have him taking an equal share among 3 backs, that's for damn sure. So 60% or more sounds right, and I'd lean towards more.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams prioritized Akers for a reason. They didn't go RB there with their top pick to have him taking an equal share among 3 backs, that's for damn sure. So 60% or more sounds right, and I'd lean towards more.

Co-sign. Less early, but 60% if all goes as planned. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a great position to be in honestly... When you have legitimate talent throughout the depth chart that you routinely forget about a quality player.

Any one of our RB's, including Kelly, has the potential / talent to be our difference maker on any given week.
Kelly has literally no chance to make the team save a rash of injuries

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same. Seems like that had been a real strength 17-18--Goff was able to make pass rushers pay by dropping passes to TG over their heads, and it seems like throwing to backs would be a good adjustment to poor blocking up front. I must be missing something tho. Maybe protection just collapsed too suddenly.

yep, gurley was too busy being a blocker. then when he had his chances in the passing game he kept dropping the ball.

something was off last season.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Quite simply, I think it will come down to who is the best in pass pro. They will see the majority of snaps.

oldnotdead

Legend
There are 2 UDFA RBs on the team that IMO don't offer much more than what Kelly brings. Two things work in Kelly's favor in making the team. 1. He's faster than both the UDFA RBs 2. He can catch and has been in the system so he knows the offense

With this truncated offseason I just don't see the UDFA RBs showing enough to take Kelly's spot this year. I think they will keep at least one RB on the PS be it one of these two or someone cut from another team. Kelly needs to earn his keep on STs and I think he will. Though they actually could just go with 3 RBs and keep one on the PS as a contingency player. That's why IMO if they keep 4 RBs on the active roster they need to show something on STs.

IMO they could keep an extra WR like Pope who can replace JoJo as a returner instead of a 4th RB. Either way, Kelly underwhelmed when he had his opportunities. The problem I have with Kelly is that in watching him both in the NFL and in college what is interpreted by evaluators as indecisiveness is IMO really a matter of poor field vision. If the hole isn't where it's drawn up on the whiteboard then he seems not to see alternatives. If the coaches think that is what his problem is, he won't make the team. Part of field vision is coaching as well, so I really think this is his last shot.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Henderson's lack of touches last year has me a bit skeptical. Malcom Brown is underrated, in my opinion, and will be the starter. I predict that at the end of the year he will be backing up Akers.

oldnotdead

Legend
Oh yeah as far as the three guys in front of Kelly I think Henderson and Akers are interchangeable while Brown is more situational.