Sean McVay pleased with how Rams' OL played despite adversity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1188323299.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
10 hours ago

There was no lack of questions and concerns surrounding the Rams’ offensive line entering this season. Brian Allen and Joseph Noteboom both stepped in as first-year starters, but they struggled out of the gate.
Eventually, both would be placed on IR with season-ending injuries, which created even more problems up front for the Rams. Austin Corbett was acquired, Austin Blythe moved to center, David Edwards became a starter at guard and Bobby Evans replaced an injured Rob Havenstein.

Yet, despite all that adversity and change, the Rams still allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL this season. Yes, you read that correctly: the fewest.
That doesn’t mean the offensive line was one of the best in the league; it ranked 22nd in pass block win rate and created few holes for Todd Gurley and the running backs. All things considered, though, Los Angeles made the best of what it had on the O-line and Sean McVay is pleased with how the unit played.
“Well, I think the players continued to play. I thought the coaches did a great job – a lot of adjusting and adapting on the fly from Coach (Aaron) Kromer, Zak Kromer, Andy Dickerson. I think Andrew Whitworth’s leadership, really impressed with Austin Blythe’s command when he took over at playing that center spot,” McVay said.

However, just as all the blame doesn’t fall on the offensive line, all the credit doesn’t go to the five big men up front, either.
“Anytime you just look at that number, sacks are always a reflection of the unit. I think exclusively, in a lot of instances, offensive linemen are not always accurately pegged for the responsibility of sacks,” he continued. “They are certainly very helpful, but I think the quarterback has a huge responsibility, the backs if they’re used in protection, and then the other eligibles separating in the timing and rhythm. In some instances, those guys are even asked to protect. We’ve got receivers that are willing to protect, obviously the tight ends are used. I think it’s a great reflection of the entire unit and their ability to work through some adjusting, some adapting and then ultimately it’s about the players’ execution.”

Whitworth and Blythe are both free agents, and there’s no guarantee either Allen or Noteboom will be starters. Edwards and Evans are both candidates to start, as is Corbett. Havenstein should get his job back at right tackle, but that’s not a certainty either.

In other words, the Rams have a lot to figure out with their offensive line, but the potential for success is there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not really news to ROD members, although adversity on the OL is an understatement ...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Happy I guess that we might have found some future starters but just being honest they still sucked at run blocking. Please go out and get a rock in the middle. We need that all.pro center badly.
PS sign Big Whitworth ASAP for next season

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It sounds to me, as though he wasn't that impressed with it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What BS. It was evident from the start of TC the Rams OL was going to be a problem. If us fans could see it, I know damn well they could see it too. Havenstien got his contract and came in to TC out of shape and it showed from pre-season on. Kromer kept running out at every position Jamal Demby and even us fans could tell that wasn't going to work. Why they waited until after the bye to try Edwards, Corbett and Evans is beyond me.

Rams OL got pushed around all season and they didn't change it up until after the bye and then they finally started to hold their own. By that time it was too late. Rams need to get bigger up the middle.

McVay saying he was pleased with the OL this season is BS. Poor OL play cost the Rams the post season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay saying he was pleased with the OL this season is BS. Poor OL play cost the Rams the post season.

Or in the end, he was pleased and I can understand that. I agree with you, they were in trouble from the outset, however, Blythe taking over at Center (should be the only position he should play) was a plus and Corbett, Edwards & Evans get more push, but they also went with morre double TE Sets.

Noteboom is a tackle not a guard and hopefully will be ready for LT, they need to draft another high profile LT and Jackson from USC who looked awful in the Bowl game against Iowa or their DE is extraordinary. Trey Adams of Washington would be possible in round two and they need a Center too because no more Brian Allen please.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OL wasn't great, but I think Rams fans tripped over themselves all year long to blame them instead of Goff.

We had the third most pass attempts and the least amount of sacks allowed.

The Panthers had one more pass attempt and allowed 36(!!!) more sacks than us.

It's also worth noting that people will or have pointed to sites like PFF or Football Outsiders to discuss how bad the Rams OL was, but people trashed these same sites that told us that Gurley was an average NFL running back last year.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Guys the line was the main reason we are not in the playoffs.

Gurley could not find any holes because the oline was terrible. Goff was off rhythm most of the year because the line sucked.

The wrs didn't get open as much as the past why, because the line sucked. Goff disrupted his timing with his wrs due to the insane amount of pressure he was under.

My solution is make a play for Brandon Scherff he solves our RG issue plus an excellent run blocker. I would explore Trent Williams maybe a player trade since we have no draft capital. I would look in FA or in the draft for a Center. I saw the top two college centers play yesterday neither impressed me. They were from Wisconsin and Oregon. There are 3-4 FA Centers that are top notch not sure what we need to solve this but pretending that magically over the summer Allen, Notebook et Al are going to get a ton better it's not happening. Money is always a concern, but the Rams go as far as the oline will take them. Goff is for the most part a pocket passer he needs a clean pocket and it sucks to need to keep a RB and sometimes a TE in because the line can't hold their own which results in less receivers in the pattern etc.

The line is #1 priority.

Figuring out how to stop the Run is #2 priority

Finding a new DC that is an upgrade and don't do what Fisher used to do promote from within that never works hardly

We do these three things and we are good and will be back in the playoffs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Guys the line was the main reason we are not in the playoffs.

Gurley could not find any holes because the oline was terrible. Goff was off rhythm most of the year because the line sucked.

The wrs didn't get open as much as the past why, because the line sucked. Goff disrupted his timing with his wrs due to the insane amount of pressure he was under.

My solution is make a play for Brandon Scherff he solves our RG issue plus an excellent run blocker. I would explore Trent Williams maybe a player trade since we have no draft capital. I would look in FA or in the draft for a Center. I saw the top two college centers play yesterday neither impressed me. They were from Wisconsin and Oregon. There are 3-4 FA Centers that are top notch not sure what we need to solve this but pretending that magically over the summer Allen, Notebook et Al are going to get a ton better it's not happening. Money is always a concern, but the Rams go as far as the oline will take them. Goff is for the most part a pocket passer he needs a clean pocket and it sucks to need to keep a RB and sometimes a TE in because the line can't hold their own which results in less receivers in the pattern etc.

The line is #1 priority.

Figuring out how to stop the Run is #2 priority

Finding a new DC that is an upgrade and don't do what Fisher used to do promote from within that never works hardly

We do these three things and we are good and will be back in the playoffs.

I think you are going to be totally disappointed. The change are going to come within. It’s called competition !!

That’s just the way Mcvay is building this team. He also called out the coaches by name. These guys are all coming back.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The OL wasn't great, but I think Rams fans tripped over themselves all year long to blame them instead of Goff.

It's also worth noting that people will or have pointed to sites like PFF or Football Outsiders to discuss how bad the Rams OL was, but people trashed these same sites that told us that Gurley was an average NFL running back last year.
No the oline was trash. Gurley and goff both suffered from it and that's no coincidence. You keep using sacks as a way to grade a oline but throwaways and rollouts can cover that up and did. Under 4 ypc on the ground.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Im curious how it would be if we let Blythe go and put Corbett in at center. Hes a little bigger and stronger than Blythe. Return havenstien to RT. Let Whitworth go and put Edward's in at LT. Get a F/A guard and make Evan's the other guard. Brewer, Shelton and Allen can be depth along with drafting a few depth guys.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sean has clearly been drinking. They only started to get with a few games left...by adding two rookies! Lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think people need to read the article again.
The title is misleading.

McVay said he was happy to see improvements on the line, but some of that credit goes to TEs and Rbs that were held back to help the oline block.

McVay never says the line was good. At all.

Tano

Legend
Sean has clearly been drinking. They only started to get with a few games left...by adding two rookies! Lol
And adding roll outs - I believe Goff had a 100% completion % on roll-outs in one of the last 4 games that they started doing this and about 50% completion % in the pocket for the other passes in that game.

It shows Goff can be deadly when given time.

Goff was excellent once McVay implemented rollouts in his game plan. Many of us all year were calling for roll outs to give Goff more time because he consistently had 2 or less seconds to get rid of the ball the first 11 games. Only Goffs ability to get rid of the ball quickly and/or evade the pressure enabled Goff to only be sacked 22 times. However, Goff was definitely not a QB that could handle the pressure as far as accurately getting the ball to the receiver and it showed in his TD to interception rate in the first 11 games. Plus his completion % and yards per attempt were way down this year in those first 11 games as well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No the oline was trash. Gurley and goff both suffered from it and that's no coincidence. You keep using sacks as a way to grade a oline but throwaways and rollouts can cover that up and did. Under 4 ypc on the ground.

Goff and Gurley were also "trash" - many people commented on Gurley looking like a different player, and Goff made mistakes/bad throws even when he had time to pass.

All of them - Goff/Gurley/OL - are to blame for *only* finishing as the 7th ranked offense (11th in points). People neglect that both Goff and Gurley performed worse at their positions than the OL did.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Havenstien got his contract and came in to TC out of shape and it showed from pre-season on.
Havenstein played like a Pro Bowler his first year under that contract. So I don't think that was the issue. And re: his body he's always been sloppy round the middle.

I think he's going to come back next year with a new approach, either way. Whether it's with us or some other team he'll be back to a starter next year IMO.

Ellard80

Legend
3rd most passing attempts,... 22nd rated o-line...

yet fewest sacks in the nfl.

But alot on this board things McVay doesn't know what he is doing...

Such bullshit sorry.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think people need to read the article again.
The title is misleading.

McVay said he was happy to see improvements on the line, but some of that credit goes to TEs and Rbs that were held back to help the oline block.

McVay never says the line was good. At all.
Come now! You can't expect people to read something! It's much more in line with today to make a snap judgement off a headline :D

fearsomefour

Legend
McVay pleased with OL play......

Translation....

Likely few options to significantly improve the OL talent in the off season.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
And adding roll outs - I believe Goff had a 100% completion % on roll-outs in one of the last 4 games that they started doing this and about 50% completion % in the pocket for the other passes in that game.

It shows Goff can be deadly when given time.

Goff was excellent once McVay implemented rollouts in his game plan. Many of us all year were calling for roll outs to give Goff more time because he consistently had 2 or less seconds to get rid of the ball the first 11 games. Only Goffs ability to get rid of the ball quickly and/or evade the pressure enabled Goff to only be sacked 22 times. However, Goff was definitely not a QB that could handle the pressure as far as accurately getting the ball to the receiver and it showed in his TD to interception rate in the first 11 games. Plus his completion % and yards per attempt were way down this year in those first 11 games as well.
I agree, but not it’s only Goff handling pressure.

That’s the first I’ve read of McVay slight of handing himself on the back, and scheme certainly helped.

We also got the kind of tight end threat required for the extra protection provided.

Who can deny that Todd Gurley makes his blocks? That has been a consistent priority for our half backs.