Sean McVay on Rams: 'We haven't arrived by any stretch'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...cvay-on-rams-we-havent-arrived-by-any-stretch

By Alden Gonzalez ESPN Writer

The Los Angeles Rams were fresh off one of their most decisive, complete victories of this young season. They had shut out an opponent for the first time in nearly 35 months, had started a season 5-2 for the first time in 14 years -- but Sean McVay didn't want to hear anything about what it all meant.

"We haven't arrived by any stretch," McVay, the Rams' rookie head coach, declared from London after a 33-0 dismantling of the division rival Arizona Cardinals. "5-2 is a good feeling, but that's all it is right now."

As fleeting as these feelings might be, the Rams head into their bye week in first place in the NFC West, with the look of a team that already appears to be a legitimate contender and might still be getting better.

In Sunday's Week 7 win at Twickenham Stadium, the Rams held the ball for 39 of 60 minutes, converted 28 first downs and outgained the Cardinals by 232 yards.

Lamarcus Joyner and Mark Barron each intercepted passes, giving the defense nine for the season -- one shy of their interception total from all of last year. Aaron Donald, Ethan Westbrooks and Matt Longacre all had sacks, and Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Sammy Watkins all caught for more than 40 yards. So did Todd Gurley, who added 106 rushing yards, including an 18-yard touchdown run, to reach triple digits on the ground for the fourth time in five weeks.

Jared Goff, light-years ahead of where he was as a rookie, threw for a touchdown, ran for another and completed 22 of his 37 passes, with only one of those throws resulting in an interception.

The Rams have been held back by their offense for about a decade and have finished last in the NFL in yards each of the past two seasons. But they have scored 212 points in seven games this season -- only 12 fewer than what they scored in 16 games last season. Goff believes there are still "a lot of things we can clean up offensively, which is the exciting thing."

That's the point.

The Rams entered this season as the NFL's second-youngest team, behind only the Cleveland Browns. They had a new head coach -- who just so happens to be the youngest head coach in modern NFL history -- and were integrating a new defensive system under coordinator Wade Phillips. If they remain healthy, they should only grow as the season marches on.

Their defense, which has allowed only 39 points in the past 14 quarters -- after allowing 90 in the previous 10 -- is a vivid example of that.

"They're playing together," McVay said. "I think they're getting more and more comfortable with the system and the way that we want to operate. ... The thing that we're most pleased with, especially with regards to the defense, is that they have continued to improve and get better as the weeks have gone, and that's a positive sign for us going into the bye week."

The biggest key, perhaps, is the offensive line, boosted by the additions of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan. (Sullivan left Sunday's game with a knee injury, but McVay thinks he is "going to be OK"). Goff has been sacked only 10 times through the first seven games, after absorbing 26 sacks in seven games last season. Gurley, meanwhile, has already gained 374 yards before first contact in seven games, after totaling 442 yards before first contact in 16 games last season.

The Rams have beaten two good teams, the Dallas Cowboys and the Jacksonville Jaguars, on the road. They have two blowout victories, against the Indianapolis Colts to open their season and against the Cardinals to head into their bye week. And they would've beaten the Seattle Seahawks had it not been for five turnovers, most of which were easily avoidable.

They look like a playoff team.

"Call it whatever you want, man, we're just trying to win games every week," Goff said. "I don't think we're ever content with where we're at."

The Rams fly back home Monday morning, concluding an 11-day trip that took them from Southern California to Northern Florida to Western Europe. They covered something in the neighborhood of 12,000 airline miles. And in the days leading up to Week 7, McVay challenged his team to put together its best performance yet.

McVay called Sunday "our best game of the year" and said, "You can feel everybody's pushing in the right direction."

He conceded that it was "a great day for the Rams."

But not much beyond that.

"We have experienced a lot of things in these first seven games, but by no means have we arrived," McVay said. "There's a lot of improvement that we can continue to focus on, both as coaches and players."

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy is refreshing to listen to and is just what the Rams needed . Night and day from the old regime.

Flint

Pro Bowler
The exciting thing is it's not just coachspeak McVay's right. They have made a lot of trips to the red zone and kicked a lot of fgs, if they turn 1 of those fgs into tds the offense would be explosive. Of course this was an issue in Washington as well so who knows if it can be fixed.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This is a coach keeping his team grounded and focused. It would be very easy to boast and pound his chest saying "Look at Us... We are Back," after going 5-2. He's leaving those statements for us fans to say! Still lots of improvement in all phases, but this team is light years ahead of what I was expecting this season. It's nice to see where they are headed. Going to be a long couple weeks waiting for the game against the Giants.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The exciting thing is they have a lot of cap space to retain players or find better fits in FA on a young team without a ton of holes.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
How can you not love McVay? He always says he respects his opponents and never boasts about victories. I love how humble he is, and I love that he has given this team the mindset of never being satisfied despite being one of the better teams in the league right now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Night and day from the old regime.
We're not supposed to denigrate the "old regime".

I said it in another thread... it's so nice to see things actually fixed after the coach says they'll fix it.

3rd down conversion: 13/19 (68% - CHECK
Red Zone effectiveness: 3/6 (50% - CHECK
Balance: 14 passing first downs, 11 rushing first down - CHECK

They said they'd fix these... and, finally... finally, Rams coaches were true to their word.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We're the highest scoring offense in the league atm. Please gentlemen find something to complain about other than our offense.

More Tavon threads please...

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're the highest scoring offense in the league atm. Please gentlemen find something to complain about other than our offense.

Man I wish Sully and Whitty were a decade younger.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Right? I was thinking about that the other day. I don't understand how Whit even got away from Cincinnati, He's a staple at LT for any team. Even at his age, which is double impressive. I'm just glad we have him this year. Hope he can stay healthy and play at this level for at least another season or two, all while teaching his successor... That's the way you do it.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right? I was thinking about that the other day. I don't understand how Whit even got away from Cincinnati, He's a staple at LT for any team. Even at his age, which is double impressive. I'm just glad we have him this year. Hope he can stay healthy and play at this level for at least another season or two, all while teaching his successor... That's the way you do it.

Yeah, I just love it when we don't have the "other" LT whiffing for a sack fumble anymore. I'm glad those days are behind us now. Cheers!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't want to create a thread for this, but quietly, Cooper Kupp had a rough game yesterday.

1st drive - Goff hits him with what should be a TD - good defense, but Kupp has to catch that

2nd drive - Goff hits him on 3rd down in the redzone, threw to his back shoulder, touch catch, but the ball hits Kupp in the hands and he would have fallen backward for a first down

Last drive before half (after INT) - Goff hits him in the hands, he's between two defenders, but still..

The first two were really interesting to me because: Goff did his job. We were already 13/19 on 3rd down, but Goff had us effectively good enough to be 15/19, possibly with two TDs instead of two FGs to start the game.

On the flip side, Goff threw the ball right to the Cardinals and had it dropped - so even though his actual INT probably shouldn't have stood, he deserved to have 2 TDs and 1 INT yesterday for the way he played.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I didn't want to create a thread for this, but quietly, Cooper Kupp had a rough game yesterday.

1st drive - Goff hits him with what should be a TD - good defense, but Kupp has to catch that

2nd drive - Goff hits him on 3rd down in the redzone, threw to his back shoulder, touch catch, but the ball hits Kupp in the hands and he would have fallen backward for a first down

Last drive before half (after INT) - Goff hits him in the hands, he's between two defenders, but still..

The first two were really interesting to me because: Goff did his job. We were already 13/19 on 3rd down, but Goff had us effectively good enough to be 15/19, possibly with two TDs instead of two FGs to start the game.

On the flip side, Goff threw the ball right to the Cardinals and had it dropped - so even though his actual INT probably shouldn't have stood, he deserved to have 2 TDs and 1 INT yesterday for the way he played.
I think that is very fair, and I agree with all your points.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maybe a Quinn thread? :LOL:

Only thing that concerns me is injury. Sully went down yesterday (McVay says he'll be OK) and Blythe has now filled in at least twice and done an admirable job.

What might happen if Whitworth goes down?

At least with Blythe, I can consider that it's coaching that is helping a back-up do well.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I love the coaching attitude where McVay is quick to dismiss successes and eager to bring the focus to what needs to improve. That is a winning mindset. It creates a thought process with the players that they can’t be content.

I see the same thing from Coach Frost here at UCF (another offensive minded coach that has turned a team completely around). What an amazing year of football so far.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"We haven't arrived by any stretch," McVay, the Rams' rookie head coach, declared from London after a 33-0 dismantling of the division rival Arizona Cardinals. "5-2 is a good feeling, but that's all it is right now."
So glad to read this....so true...haven't done squat yet...and gave away the division by losing at home to the Seahawks.

Gotta continue to get better.
but quietly, Cooper Kupp had a rough game yesterday.
Not so quiet if you look....drops too many passes. May be something we need to keep an eye on.