Sean McVay on Rams' inside linebackers: 'I love the depth of that group'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Sean McVay on Rams' inside linebackers: 'I love the depth of that group'​

061c94875af04a1dba4cba2c8468d95c.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

August 8, 2021 11:30 am PT

Unlike most teams, the Los Angeles Rams don’t have a surefire middle linebacker to lead the defense. Micah Kiser and Troy Reeder both held that role at different points last season, while Kenny Young also contributed as a second inside linebacker when the Rams were in their base defense.

Heading into this season, Kiser, Reeder, Young and two other young players – Travin Howard and Ernest Jones – will be competing for the starting jobs, but all of them will have to earn their roster spots, too. It’s an underwhelming group that probably won’t blow anyone away on defense, but Sean McVay likes the way his inside linebackers have come together.

“I think when you look at the confidence that those guys gained in that group, I mean you talk about a really deep group,” he said after practice Saturday. “Kenny is really building on a great campaign last year, Micah and Troy have played really high-caliber football and it’s great to have T-Howard back and healthy, so I love the depth of that group.”

Young especially needs a strong finish to camp and the preseason. The Rams can cut him and save $2.2 million in cap space, which puts him in a tough spot with roster cuts coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Jones is the safest bet to make the team as a third-round rookie, while Kiser, Reeder and Howard will all be fighting for roster spots like Young. Christian Rozeboom shouldn’t be forgotten, either, though as a second-year player who went undrafted in 2020, he really needs to shine the rest of the way.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I have my two guys with Travin Howard and Ernest Jones –
I thought Howard was coming on prior to injury last year and I think Jones may be the most physically complete
LB of the group and has leadership qualities that are head and shoulders above the rest.

Tell me who your liking of the group.

If I'm wrong in my assessment, tell me why.
Lot's of depth to choose from.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Still a fan of Howard. He played a lot in 2019 as an eventually replacement for Littleton. I thought he had insane range, and he was solid on teams.

Gun to my head, I'd go with Kiser and Rozeboom over Reeder and Young. I'm sorry, I'm just not a Reeder fan, and cutting Young saves cap.

However, I think Ernest Jones gets the job. I said he gives me JJ3 vibes as a late third round pick whom most weren't expecting to be taken so high. According to what people are saying in camp, he hasn't given me any reason to doubt it.

oldnotdead

Legend
The way the defense is trending they could keep 4 ILBs, Reeder, Young, and E. Jones are basic locks. In the competition for that last spot will be Kiser, Howard, Moncrief, and Rozeboom. I like Kiser and Howard, but their injury history is concerning. We've been here before with both Kiser and Howard only to lose them early. Young has the experience, and played better than most on this board think, but most of all he's proven durable. My guess would be Reeder & Young, Jones, and Howard. Both Young and Howard are very similar and I see their roles being similar. Kiser's injury history (3 in the past 2 years) and only playing 25 games in 3 years is troubling.

Reeder, Young, Kiser, and Howard all have SS type speed. Ernest Jones timed at around 4.7 which would make him the slowest of the 5. But I see him more as a run-stopper first with zone pass capability so paired with Howard would be just fine. If Kiser and Howard didn't have injury concerns I don't see Jones being drafted. The fact he was, would indicate the Ram's don't trust the health of Kiser or Howard either. Jone's role is aimed directly at Kiser who was expected to be the run-stuffing MIKE when he was drafted. People forget the Rams specifically had Young included in the Marcus Peters trade so he's not going anywhere and I see him paired with Reeder to maintain that starting duo. Therefore, it's why I see the pairing of Jones and Howard as most likely as the rotational guys.

So yeah I agree with McVay the Rams have an underrated group of ILBs. I see Moncrief and Rozeboom returning to the PS for one more year. Teams being able to protect players on the PS changes the roster dynamics as it is essentially a 4 player roster expansion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We really need Jones to get a full grasp of the defense so he can start. What we lack is instinct at ILB. Reeder, Kiser, Young, Howard all these guys are backup level players. McVay wasn't lying when he said he liked the "depth" of the unit. But if Jones can get in there and start doing his thing we're gonna be way better off.

Those depth types just can't read or anticipate very well at all. That's what we're lacking IMO. It's frustrating to watch our guys because they're flat footed as the run play develops. Jones should fix that rather quickly.

And btw it's the same thing at OLB opposite Floyd. None of them contain very well, they all get edged and trapped quite easily in the run game. When you couple that with marginal rushes it's kind of depressing. Hopefully Hollins with a full camp can improve a lot there (and I say Hollins because it seems like he's gonna win that job), but he's gonna need to improve a lot there.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We had decent enough depth before the draft. Entering the season with Kaiser, Young, Reeder, and Howard would have been fine for this defense. We dont need all pro LBs though it would be nice. Still wish we we went OLB or IOL with the Ernest Jones pick. I like him as a player and think he has the best upside of the entire group, but still think we have much bigger holes. OLB and OL are just more important position groups on this team.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember listening to a college football podcast and they were talking about the NFL draft. They were talking about how hard it is for linebackers as rookies because they get caught up in so much misdirection and stuff that they become targets sort of like the guy the Cardinals drafted last year. I can't remember his name but he was basically getting picked on every play.

This gave me some hope that Kiser and some of the other linebackers just needed more time. Looks like that could be correct. How cool would it be if our linebackers were leaps and bounds better than they were last year? Our defense would be dangerous

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't lump the four veterans together (Kiser, Reeder, Young and Howard). Consider them to have very different skill-sets.

I really like Kiser ... after the Cowboys' game to open 2020, I thought he covered ground on run-plays and tackled well. Think he can be really solid on run-downs. Major concern is his lack of durability. Have my fingers crossed for him this season.

Reeder was his fill-in, and stayed on-the-field late even when Kiser returned. He was OK but I see him more as a high-effort but limited athleticism run-stuffer. Great to have in reserve and on Special Teams but a below-average-starter. Don't think he covers as much ground, and don't see him as much of a sideline-to-sideline tackler. Don't think he's effective in passing situations at all.

Howard? I don't know what they have in Howard. Played some in 2019; and was slated for a significant role last year before going-down with a season-ending-injury. Believe he offers athleticism to cover ground in coverage and can hit. Think he would be a solid compliment to a run-stuffer. Have real hope for him in 2021.

Young has been in the NFL for four seasons and is a nice player to have on your team but he seems like an average starter at best to me. Does not excel at anything but is not weak.

For me, the two most promising are Kiser and Howard, who compliment each other, and offer the most up-side. However, durability is a huge question-mark for both of them. Reeder and Young are good reserves but no more than average starters. They can play but would prefer an up-grade.

Now the hopeful / wild-card, who may be the best of the group is Jones. A player the Rams clearly valued. If he is what they thought he could be; and if he's mentally ready, the question might come-down to which of the four veterans best compliment Ernest Jones.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Overall these two Inside base LB'er positions are in very good shape.

I would prefer to see a small trade or release of WSILB'er Kenny Young to add back in millions to insulate the Rams cap early going into the season.

MLB'er Micah Kiser will be a UFA in less than 6 months & has had two back-to-back seasons where the Rams were counting on him very badly to be healthy & in the end he could not remain on the field for any time. I would not go into this season with him as my #1 MLB'er.

I would hope that MLB'ers Troy Reader & rookie Ernest Jones will be the two MLB'ers that win positions on the master roster. Both will be here in 2022. Both are young & will improve.

I get most excited about the return of Travin Howard to be the starter @ the WSILB post. Taylor Rapp will return back into the lineup after his injury-filled 2020 season & will certainly get many snaps backing up Howard & providing rest when Howard needs it.

I would hope that young Christian Rozeboom will also hang on to snatch a Practice Squad ILB'er position.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
My money is on Jones and Howard being the starters that's if Howard can stay healthy. Keep Kiser or Reeder with Young as backups. I don't think Rozeboom has any chance of making this team.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't lump the four veterans together (Kiser, Reeder, Young and Howard). Consider them to have very different skill-sets.
Your right in not lumping them together, they are two different positions.
My thoughts on the combination is you would want a rangy backer to pair with a true thumper.
This a Base combination that can change depending on scenario.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Your right in not lumping them together, they are two different positions.
My thoughts on the combination is you would want a rangy backer to pair with a true thumper.
This a Base combination that can change depending on scenario.

I get that. How Dare You!

My point was that discussions often talk about them as a group.

I compared Kiser more directly to Reeder; and, less directly, Howard to Young.

Now Jones, I am not yet sure about. Could possibly see him in the base with almost any of those four vets.

Ram65

Legend
I see it as a battle in the preseason. So far none have stood out of any length of time. in order of years on the Rams IIRC.

Kiser-I thought he has played well when healthy. Maybe a half step or so too slow. Has made some plays sideline to sideline.

Travin Howard-Seems to have the most range being a former Safety. Was coming on before injury last year.

Young-Wish he showed more physicality. Has range too but, doesn't get of enough blocks. Would like to see a more attacking attitude.

Reeder-Seems slow in transitioning when changing direction. He can be physical when tackling.

Rozeboom-Haven't seen anything from him yet.

Ernest Jones-It's early. Reports are he is able to go sideline to sideline and make plays even with limited speed times. He states he likes to study game film and has shown passion.

I've been high on Jones based on the Rams reports. Didn't see much in the practice against the Girls. it could end up being the Rams rotate according to who they are playing against as well as down and distance with Taylor Rapp getting reps as a hybrid. Right now I don't know who gets the initial starts. It's going to be a competition. Looking for reports as camp continues and watching preseason.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get that. How Dare You!

My point was that discussions often talk about them as a group.

I compared Kiser more directly to Reeder; and, less directly, Howard to Young.

Now Jones, I am not yet sure about. Could possibly see him in the base with almost any of those four vets.
I do think Jones is the most complete prospect of the group. Just inexperienced.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've been high on Jones based on the Rams reports. Didn't see much in the practice against the Girls. it could end up being the Rams rotate according to who they are playing against as well as down and distance with Taylor Rapp getting reps as a hybrid. Right now I don't know who gets the initial starts. It's going to be a competition. Looking for reports as camp continues and watching preseason.
Jones & Rapp. That's the combo I'd love to see. You could leave them in there vs most personnel groups early in games. Just need Jones to get up to speed on that defense.

Until that point I'd go Reeder & Rapp. But with those two on passing downs Reeder goes off.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thats coach speak. There is nothing impressive about the Rams line backing corps other than and hopefully Jones. He's really thinking that Les screwed the pooch when it comes to drafting linebackers, especially when he thinks about facing Warner and Wagner.

oldnotdead

Legend
Part of the difficulty in evaluating players is understanding the scheme Staley employed and now how they will be used by Morris. As I've stated in other posts, a bit of hesitancy is to be expected from the starting ILBs, Reeder and Young. Reeder came in with more potential than most give him credit for. But he was raw and really needed a year to develop. So he got that year in 2019. He was one of the ILB that stood out in TC.

He was thrust into the starting lineup in 2020 going from 27% of defensive snaps to 41%. People don't realize that Staley's pass defense-centric scheme often went with only one ILB who was expected to play more like an in the box SS. Kenny Young was often the rotational ILB and actually ended up with slightly more defensive snaps. What was apparent was Reeder outperformed Young on fewer snaps. Extrapolating Reeder's stats to a more normal 80%-95% of defensive snaps and his production would compare favorably with some of the better ILBs. The problem with trying to evaluate Reeder and Young is their role in Staley's scheme. It was a new and fairly complex scheme and there were mistakes made by both LBs and DBs leading to breakdowns.

As with any new scheme installation, there is a "break-in" period as players think their way through the play. That begins to improve as the season progresses. That was apparent with Staley's scheme. Now with yet another new DC this year it would seem that Morris will return to a more conventional scheme. If that is so then he will employ 2 ILB normally on 1st and 2nd downs hoping for a 3rd and long to bring in his pass defense which in fact might not be so different in personnel as it is in how they are employed (much the same way Seattle used the Legion of Boom). Reeder and Young will be expected to play a more traditional role as ILBs which will be keyed by down and distance. The difference this year is that the expectations in their roles will be more in line with what they have always played. As such I would expect them to play faster with a much shorter "break-in" period.

I would expect their snap counts to rise closer to 60% or higher. If Morris platoons his guys then pairing the ILBs would seem to be the natural way to go. If Reeder and Young are again the starters than Jones and Howard offer the same type of skillset pairing. From reports it would seem Morris front 7 will employ 2 DL (Donald & Robinson), 2 OLB edge (Floyd & Hollins), 2 ILBs (Reeder & Young) and SS Rapp or DE J. Williams to play in front of Hollins on early run downs. By playing William at DE on early downs they bring speed and power to the DE position to disrupt outside runs by bringing penetration to force the run back inside. IMO that 7th guy will change the emphasis of the scheme from pass to run defense. Also, when you look at the possible ILB pairings, the same can be said with Jones & Howard could be employed to emphasize the run defense while still having the ability to drop into an effective underneath zone on early-down passes.

I think we will see J. Williams employed much the same way as Phillips used Brockers as a strong force on the perimeter to force runs inside where Morris will have 2 ILBs to deal with that eventuality. It may seem like a more cosmetic change in the scheme but IMO it's far more than that. With only one ILB it left only a bare-bones box and it's why Staley's scheme struggled against a strong run attack like the Niners have. It made Reeder look worse than he is. Now facing a good OLB and two ILBs it will be a normal box that RBs will have to face and that should control the runs on first and second down allowing the defense to key pass on a 3rd and medium to long. This is part of Morris' emphasis on results, not numbers.

Anyway, this is my takeaway from the scrimmage with the Boys.