Sean McVay jokingly told Michael Silver he refuses to be ‘humiliated’ by the 49ers again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sean McVay jokingly told Michael Silver he refuses to be ‘humiliated’ by the 49ers again

news-711x399-116354-1527888897.jpg

NFL Network analyst Michael Silver was on NFL Network on Friday to discuss what he feels is the real rivalry within the NFC West – Kyle Shanahan versus Sean McVay. The two head coaches worked together for four years with the Washington Redskins and remain close. Shanahan, who is the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, was an offensive coordinator then. McVay, who is the head coach of the Los Angeles Rams, was an offensive assistant under Shanahan.

"I think the real NFC West rivalry is Sean McVay/Kyle Shanahan, two guys who respect the heck out of each other but certainly are aware that they are competing," Silver said.

The two entered the head coaching ranks together last offseason. During the 2017 season, the 49ers and Rams split their two-game series. Los Angeles won the first matchup 41-39 at Levi's Stadium in an early-season Thursday night thriller.

Having already secured the division and a playoff spot, McVay decided to rest several of his starters for the Rams' Week 17 matchup against the 49ers at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Riding a four-game winning streak, Shanahan took advantage of the situation and embarrassed the Rams by a score of 34-13.

The Rams have had an aggressive offseason, signing or trading for big names like wide receiver Brandin Cooks, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. While the Rams have taken a talent-first approach to their offseason acquisitions, the 49ers have focused on bringing in players whose personalities fit their locker room but also offer talent.

Rams general manager Les Snead insists the 26-13 loss to the Atlanta Falcons in the playoffs had more to do with his team's offseason approach than the Week 17 drubbing at the hands of a division rival.

"I always say we throw the Niners out because, at the end of the day, we pretty much played with, you know, let's call it our second-team unit on the field," Snead said in April during an interview on the Talk of Fame Network podcast. "So that one's out the door."

Still, that rivalry between Shanahan and McVay is well established and will make for some exciting division matchups for years to come.

"I spent some time with Sean McVay earlier this offseason," Silver said. "He was laughing. He said, 'You know, we went into that last meaningless game at the end of the year knowing we didn't have anything to play for and I pulled my starters. And Kyle just put it on me.'

"And he said, 'Never again. I don't care if we've clinched everything and we're playing the 49ers. I am playing my guys. I refuse to be humiliated in that fashion.' Of course, he was joking when he said it, but both guys, who have worked together and respect each other a ton are very, very aware that there's a competition between the two of them."

[www.49erswebzone.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many on this site debated between McVay & Shanahan, some compared Shanahan to Steve Spagnuolo, but I knew Kyle Shanahan was going to be one heck of a football coach, IMHO, he's one of the premier play callers in the NFL. This is going to be a great rivalry and I never use the word "Hate" in my vocabulary and have raised my children the same way "dislike" is the word utilized, with the acceptance of describing our displeasure for the San Francisco 49ers, where the word "Hate" is accepted.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
While the Rams have taken a talent-first approach to their offseason acquisitions, the 49ers have focused on bringing in players whose personalities fit their locker room but also offer talent.
I call BS on this narrative. Does anyone truly see our team as a bunch of divisive personalities? I see guys bonding together WITH superior talent. The Niners? I guess their personalities “fitting their locker room” must mean they have to have shown up on the police blotter.

Many on this site debated between McVay & Shanahan, some compared Shanahan to Steve Spagnuolo, but I knew Kyle Shanahan was going to be one heck of a football coach, IMHO, he's one of the premier play callers in the NFL. This is going to be a great rivalry and I never use the word "Hate" in my vocabulary and have raided my children the same way "dislike" is the word utilized, with the acceptance of describing our displeasure for the San Francisco 49ers, where the word "Hate" is accepted.
Ditto

tempests

Hall of Fame
"And he said, 'Never again. I don't care if we've clinched everything and we're playing the 49ers. I am playing my guys. I refuse to be humiliated in that fashion.' Of course, he was joking when he said it, but both guys, who have worked together and respect each other a ton are very, very aware that there's a competition between the two of them."

I hope not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well moves like the Rams made to rest the starters can be debated with both sides having positives. I was all for it at the time, due to the feeling that someone would probably get hurt, but also because I thought our second team could hang with the whiners. Hindsight shows that drubbing we received didn't exactly work out, though, and in the end I think if the Rams could do it again they'd play the starters at least half the game.

But maybe there's an alternate universe out there where they played the starters and lost a key guy with the same result of being one and done in the playoffs. So who knows. Either way, I'm proud of our young coach and organization at large in terms of how they handle most things, and excited for the future so that's what matters.

jap

Legend
Well moves like the Rams made to rest the starters can be debated with both sides having positives. I was all for it at the time, due to the feeling that someone would probably get hurt, but also because I thought our second team could hang with the whiners. Hindsight shows that drubbing we received didn't exactly work out, though, and in the end I think if the Rams could do it again they'd play the starters at least half the game.

It is entirely possible that if our starters were played until the half, we would not have started as flat as did against the Dirty Birds in the Wild Card game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Shannahan will be a fine coach on a long list of good coaches. Maybe he'll be the next Mike Martz or Sean Peyton.

McVay will be known as the first McVay. And that's the difference.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The writer of this story just had to embarrass himself by stating this:
"Shanahan took advantage of the situation and embarrassed the Rams by a score of 34-13."

An ABSOLUTELY meaningless loss by the Rams where the starters are rested, can't be an embarrassment when the end result was the playoffs. The "situation" was the Niners did their Super Bowl against our back ups, you freakin' idiot.

And den-the-coach. We don't say hate in our family either. Just as in the 49ers case, we dislike with such fierce red-hot intensity like the sun.
jGlDe4d.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think McVay’s style will play well during difficult times.

Shanahan doesn’t ooze the same confidence to me.

I guess we’ll find out... it will be a lot of fun watching their new rivalry grow.

jap

Legend
Don't be fooled by the smiling, laughing face of our Leprechaun. Any coach who takes a 4-12 team & retools the league's worst pass receiving squad into one of the league's most dynamic units and mentors a 0-7 QB to an 11-5 record is a first class competitor. He refuses to be humiliated again? What he basically said was,

"This is farking war!!!!" :lifting::boxing::wabbit::double::shooting::seizure:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think McVay’s style will play well during difficult times.

Shanahan doesn’t ooze the same confidence to me.

I guess we’ll find out... it will be a lot of fun watching their new rivalry grow.
Good old common sense helps you to see the difference. Which of these two teams went from worst to first under their first year with their new coach? Who became the NFL scoring leader their first year with their new coach? Which of these two teams is the favorite to go to the Superbowl? Which team has free agents willing to take less money to sign with them? Which team is loaded for bear in all phases of the game? Need I go on? Do @CGI_Ram I guess I agree with you.

dang

Legend
It’s because the Rams didn’t beat the 49ers in week 17 that we are now subjected to all of this 49/Jimmy G-string hype. So I like to hear it’s important to McVay to take care of our #1 objective this year. Dominate the NFC West.

Also being a sensitive Rams fan I take exception to the articles “McVay decided to rest several Of his starters” comment. The 49ers best the Rams second team as they kept MOST of the starters out.