Sean McVay gives a key reason many teams don't like being on 'Hard Knocks'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Sean McVay gives a key reason many teams don't like being on 'Hard Knocks'​

In a span of 5 years, the Los Angeles Rams appeared on HBO’s hit series “Hard Knocks” twice. They were on it in 2016 when they first moved to L.A. and again in 2020 with the Chargers, so they know what it’s like to have the cameras around at all times.

The Jets are HBO’s focus this year, which is perfect timing with this being Aaron Rodgers’ first season in New York. Rodgers doesn’t sound thrilled about the fact that his new team will be on “Hard Knocks” and he won’t be the last to voice his displeasure, either.

It’s understandable. Not only will fans have greater access to behind-the-scenes footage of the Jets, but so will their opponents and teams around the NFL. Sean McVay gave his take on why teams usually don’t like being on “Hard Knocks” and it largely has to do with not giving other teams an edge.

“I think the first thing is, when you play in a league that’s so competitive – 32 teams in the league – information is at a premium so you just want to be mindful of not having anything that gives anybody a competitive advantage,” he said at the Variety Sportico Summit. “You’re always looking for your edges and your margins and just the seamless thing of being able to pick up somebody on their cadence and some of the verbiage and vernacular that can maybe give the opposing team an advantage. So there’s some of those things.”

View: https://twitter.com/variety/status/1679567216533032960?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

McVay also believes that having the cameras around all the time can take away from the authenticity of some conversations that are had in the building and at practice, which is another fair point. Players and coaches may not completely be themselves when they know they’re being filmed.

“The thing that I always had the most difficult time with was, when you have a camera on, is it as authentic as it could be when you know someone’s listening? As opposed to being able to have that real, authentic, true interpersonal interaction. And so it does take away some of that stuff,” he added.

Fortunately for the Rams, they won’t be on the show this year, but they’ve certainly put in more than enough time on “Hard Knocks” over the last decade.

dang

Legend
McVay is special. He’s way too motivated and driven to hang up the whistle for the booth at this point in his career. We’d be blessed to have him as the Rams head coach for the next 10+ years but it will require McVay to find a healthy balance between sustained success on the field and fulfillment in his personal life off the field.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember watching Hard Knocks for the first time (the one with the Falcons) and thought it was so cringe.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The irony is that I enjoy it when it is not my team. I don't need to see my team under a microscope I came away from watching thinking Jared Goff was not the sharpest tool in the shed because of one response. I will be more then happy to watch the Jets and their belle of the ball, Aaron Rodgers at Quarterback.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This year with Rodgers watching what he says is gonna be epic. That's one of those teams who could easily make the jump or in that division they could crash and burn. So they're set up for good drama, ideal really for that show with a marquee player in his first year in the NY market.

I will definitely be watching this year's show.

Psycho_X

Legend
I can't wait for the episode where Aaron Rodgers convinces a bunch of teammates to try ayahuasca mushrooms and Zach Wilson starts dry humping Rodgers because he thinks he's a middle aged woman while hallucinating.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I can't wait for the episode where Aaron Rodgers convinces a bunch of teammates to try ayahuasca mushrooms and Zach Wilson starts dry humping Rodgers because he thinks he's a middle aged woman while hallucinating.
I have not been a fan of Hard Knocks for years simply because it feels like "The Same Old Thing" to me. However, I would definitely watch THAT!!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Well, that settles it.

HBO subscription just renewed.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It would be cool if we had an owner that thought the same way. Jerry would gladly be on Hard Knocks for the exposure. Instead, he holds TC in freaking California so he can sell jerseys and extend the brand. It's NEVER about football with Jerry.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It would be cool if we had an owner that thought the same way. Jerry would gladly be on Hard Knocks for the exposure. Instead, he holds TC in freaking California so he can sell jerseys and extend the brand. It's NEVER about football with Jerry.
I'll always be grateful for his role in returning the team to L.A. though.:thumbsup1: