Sean McVay explains late game aggressive play calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lls-that-gave-chiefs-one-last-chance-for-win/

Sean McVay explains aggressive fourth-quarter play-calls that gave Chiefs one last chance for win

• By Ryan Wilson
  • 2m ago • 3 min read
It's been two days since the Rams and Chiefscombined for 105 points in the best game of the season, and we're still working through all the storylines. Los Angeles prevailed, 54-51, but coach Sean McVay raised eyebrows with his decision to throw the ball three times with 1:18 left in the game and clinging to a three-point lead.

"I mean they were basically playing zero coverage," McVay told reporters, referring to the Chiefs' defensive coverage that didn't have a safety in the middle of the field (via Pro Football Talk). "They had 11 guys in the box and you're short in the run game, there's unblocked players. We felt like being able to run a couple of those bootlegs, you certainly don't want to have an incompletion like we did on the second down, but we are an aggressive team. We wanted to close the game out right there.

"You don't want to get too risky, but the confidence that we have in our players, we felt like changing the launch point and running kind of the boot[leg] passes where somebody's sliding across the formation was a good opportunity to be able to out-flank the edge, out-leverage a guy that's responsible for the tight end or for Robert [Woods] like we did on the first-down play in man coverage. That was what we felt like was going to be the best percentage there, just because they're playing with nobody in the middle of the field. They dropped the 11th guy down in to the box and you're short in the run game and basically it becomes tackling practice for a defense."

Complicating matters: MVP candidate Todd Gurley suffered an ankle injury early in the game and perhaps McVay didn't feel comfortable turning to him late. It tells you all you need to know that questions about McVay's play-calling center around him being too aggressive. But it worked out in this instance, in part because Johnny Hekkeruncorked a 68-yard punt after the Rams managed to use up just 14 seconds off the clock. Four plays later, Patrick Mahomes threw his last interception of the night and Los Angeles won.

Of course, we're not even having this conversation if, on the Rams' previous series, Chiefs cornerback Orlando Scandrick doesn't drop an easy interception.

That happened with 2:19 left in the game, the Chiefs leading 51-47, and the Rams already out of timeouts. Kansas City would've had the ball on Los Angeles' side of the field. Even with the two-minute warning -- and without a first down -- the Chiefs would punt the ball back to the Rams with less than 40 seconds remaining. And Los Angeles, likely starting on its own 25-yard line under the best circumstances, would have no timeouts to go the length of the field for the win.

"We had an opportunity to end the game right there with an interception," coach Andy Reid said after the game. "It slipped through our hands there a little bit. We were in a position though to end the thing. In these games, in comes down to that. ... It was back-and-forth. And then, I could have called some better plays down the stretch, bottom line. We all look at it that way, every guy on this team will do that. That's the way these guys are wired and that's what's going to make us a great football team down the stretch."

Reid's right. Yes, Mahomes had three interceptions and two fumbles, and yes, five different Rams players scored touchdowns, but if Scandrick holds onto that wayward Jared Goff pass, the Chiefs are 10-1. It didn't happen, but the good news is that Kansas City remains the AFC's best team, one that appears to be getting better each week.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a lot of ifs and or buts involved in that game. Shame that they’re focusing on that one. If Cooks doesn’t drop that wide open touchdown, that was a good play by his db just likevRey olds on the Scandrick possible int. If Jared holds on to those strip sacks. If if if we can do those with every game.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I used to feel justified questioning Jeff Fisher's stratagems and decisions. But that was in the dark ages. McVay's renaissance, juggernaut boy-wonder brilliance shocked me into slack jawed awe.

I like McVay's explanation. Next time the Rams find themselves in a similar situation, our enemies won't have any idea what McVay may do. Keep 'em guessing McVay!

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I used to feel justified questioning Jeff Fisher's stratagems and decisions. But that was in the dark ages. McVay's renaissance, juggernaut boy-wonder brilliance shocked me into slack jawed awe.

I like McVay's explanation. Next time the Rams find themselves in a similar situation, our enemies won't have any idea what McVay may do. Keep 'em guessing McVay!

In another thread, I can't recall who posted the stills, but it perfectly illustrates what he is saying.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do I even question McVay? He apparently is way smarter than me regarding football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When McVay fucks up, he owns it. He's not admitting a mistake here. As I said in another thread, I stand with him here. He made the right call imo.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
There are a lot of ifs and or buts involved in that game. Shame that they’re focusing on that one. If Cooks doesn’t drop that wide open touchdown, that was a good play by his db just likevRey olds on the Scandrick possible int. If Jared holds on to those strip sacks. If if if we can do those with every game.
Ah our voice of reason. Because, good god, that sure isn't my forte.

Apt43Rams

UDFA
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lls-that-gave-chiefs-one-last-chance-for-win/

Of course, we're not even having this conversation if, on the Rams' previous series, Chiefs cornerback Orlando Scandrick doesn't drop an easy interception.

I've seen this potential interception referenced a number of times and it's never mentioned what a great play Josh Reynolds made in breaking it up. To me it was less of a drop and more of a great play by a receiver turning into defender. Similar to how Goff's pass to Cooks for a potential touchdown was broken up by the defender ripping the ball out. Sometimes defenders make great plays and gotta give credit where credits due.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think Gurley being hurt and used as a decoy all game played into this. Whatever Sean says, I sincerely doubt if Todd was 100% he wouldn't have ran the ball on that series. Because Todd would have likely had more carries up to that point and been in a better rhythm.

My question regarding the late game play calling, is did McVay make any changes over the past 4 weeks of four-min drives? This was now four weeks in a row, where we could have won the game on offense with a sustained drive, and all four weeks we go 3 and out. That cannot happen in the playoffs or we'll be done. We should have lost to Aaron Rodgers because of it, lets face it we all knew we were going to lose that game. I wonder if McVay has made adjustments with his play calls the last 4 weeks in those situations? That would be something interesting to look at. Because for the life of me I cant understand how we look so unstoppable all day most of the time, but in the big crunch four-min drives we haven't been getting it done.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The false start by #77 probably threw a wrench into the original plans . Big penalty in that situation

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
We should have lost to Aaron Rodgers because of it, lets face it we all knew we were going to lose that game.

Speak for yourself. I don't doubt the team. We always have a decent chance if we play to our potential. I never thought we would lose that game. I was worried, but never sure of it and never assumed it.

The best 4th quarter comeback QBs are just a hair over 50% in those situations. Believe it or not, Rodgers isn't one of those QBs. He's closer to 28%. So at best it's like a coin toss, and he's about half of that.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Speak for yourself. I don't doubt the team. We always have a decent chance if we play to our potential. I never thought we would lose that game. I was worried, but never sure of it and never assumed it.

The best 4th quarter comeback QBs are just a hair over 50% in those situations. Believe it or not, Rodgers isn't one of those QBs. He's closer to 28%. So at best it's like a coin toss, and he's about half of that.

You're open to your opinion man, but those percentages don't take into account how horrible the Ram's defense has been. And I don't doubt our team, I just doubt our defense. If you're comfortable with our defense heading into the Lions game then all the power to you. Our secondary has been playing horrible and we were facing a HOF, all time clutch QB that only needed a FG to win.

You can get defensive over the Packers comment but the core focus here is our late game play calling and execution. Our inability to sustain 4-min drives for a month straight to close out games has to be concerning. McVay is a wizard so hard to question his play calling, but our players need to execute better or he needs to tweak something late.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You're open to your opinion man, but those percentages don't take into account how horrible the Ram's defense has been. And I don't doubt our team, I just doubt our defense. If you're comfortable with our defense heading into the Lions game then all the power to you. Our secondary has been playing horrible and we were facing a HOF, all time clutch QB that only needed a FG to win.

You can get defensive over the Packers comment but the core focus here is our late game play calling and execution. Our inability to sustain 4-min drives for a month straight to close out games has to be concerning. McVay is a wizard so hard to question his play calling, but either our players need to execute better or he needs to tweak something late.
But Rodgers isn't all time clutch, at least not by the standard of 4th quarter comebacks.

And no I'm not happy with our defense. But I know what they're capable of, so I know that any given series they could dominate to such an extent that no QB or team has a chance at all. I mean, if 3 plays in a row Donald, Brockers, Suh, Littleton, Barron, Peters, Joyner, and Johnson all played up to their potential, no one could do a damn thing against them. That just hadn't been happening this season... At all. Ever. Maybe against the Chiefs a couple times, but that's still debatable. Never 3 in a row. But I always know that if they do, it's a wrap.

And yeah, on a few plays offensive execution has been lacking. Those are also clutch plays for the defense too. Given our success rate, you can't ask more. If they made those couch plays, they'd be perfect. I can't expect them to be perfect. So they're close enough, even if it does suck sometimes that they can't put teams away like I want.