Sean McVay expects Eric Weddle to play vs. Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_12780788.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 12 minutes ago

Eric Weddle’s debut with the Los Angeles Rams was cut short on Sunday after he suffered a concussion and laceration on his head in the first half. The injury occurred when Christian McCaffrey’s knee hit the side of Weddle’s helmet.
As scary as it was seeing Weddle’s face bloodied from the accidental hit, he’s expected to play in Week 2 against the Saints.

Rams coach Sean McVay said on Wednesday that he anticipates Weddle being out there in this pivotal matchup at the Coliseum.

This is great news for Los Angeles. The team can absolutely use his instincts and awareness in the secondary, not only making plays himself, but getting everyone else aligned, too.
He’s the defensive signal caller, too, relaying plays from the sideline to the rest of the defense. Cory Littleton held that responsibility last season and picked it up in Week 1 after Weddle went down.

With John Johnson, Weddle, Marqui Christian and Taylor Rapp all available against the Saints, the Rams defense should perform at a high level.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
12780791.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
fb.png
twitter.png
flipboard_white.png
reddit.png

Eric Weddle 'on track' to play in Week 2 after scary head injury
Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 9/11/19

Los Angeles Rams safety Eric Weddle is poised to play in Week 2 despite taking a knee to the helmet in the season opener.
Rams coach Sean McVay said Wednesday that he anticipates Weddle playing against the New Orleans Saints after he went through the concussion protocol without issue.

This is excellent news for the Rams, who will want their secondary in good shape against Drew Brees and the Saints. The 35-year-old safety left Week 1 early after he was badly bloodied when Christian McCaffrey’s knee collided with his helmet, but it appears no major damage was done.
This article first appeared on Larry Brown Sports and was syndicated with permission.
fb.png

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If Weddle did indeed have a grade 3 concussion (got knocked out), I’m kinda surprised he’s had no symptoms and will play so soon. Hope the Rams trainers protect Weddle from himself.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If Weddle did indeed have a grade 3 concussion (got knocked out), I’m kinda surprised he’s had no symptoms and will play so soon. Hope the Rams trainers protect Weddle from himself.
So where did I miss the actual diagnosis of a concussion? When he was sitting there on the field, it looked like he was clear eyed and answering rapidly. I am reading all these articles that are headed by "suffers concussion" yet not a one I have read says anything beyond that he entered protocol. Isn't protocol pretty much just observation and testing?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
usatsi_12780788.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 12 minutes ago

Eric Weddle’s debut with the Los Angeles Rams was cut short on Sunday after he suffered a concussion and laceration on his head in the first half. The injury occurred when Christian McCaffrey’s knee hit the side of Weddle’s helmet.
As scary as it was seeing Weddle’s face bloodied from the accidental hit, he’s expected to play in Week 2 against the Saints.

Rams coach Sean McVay said on Wednesday that he anticipates Weddle being out there in this pivotal matchup at the Coliseum.

This is great news for Los Angeles. The team can absolutely use his instincts and awareness in the secondary, not only making plays himself, but getting everyone else aligned, too.
He’s the defensive signal caller, too, relaying plays from the sideline to the rest of the defense. Cory Littleton held that responsibility last season and picked it up in Week 1 after Weddle went down.

With John Johnson, Weddle, Marqui Christian and Taylor Rapp all available against the Saints, the Rams defense should perform at a high level.

AWESOME news having our defensive QB leading a squad going to WAR at home on grass against Brees & whiners . We can expect more from our CB's with their leader in the fold. Thomas can't beat us as neither can Kamara. So GREAT to have WEDDLE and JOHNSON as RAPP is gonna make a BIG push to equal what JOHNSON has become for us. I even expect this Washington HUSKY (As the RAMS have 5 on the team). I want Greg GAINES active over SJD this week after last weeks butt whippin Day was handled. We need OBO & also our other OLB ready to give Clay all the breaks they can as they lock down the edge & apply pressure & obo can run down a RB from the backside where I doubt Clay can still do that. Littleton I believe has ths skills and I just hope he is durable and lasts ALL SEASON as he can be our DEFENSIVE leader in so many phases if he keeps playing at 1st week levels. No LB with that IT factor since London Fletcher did (IN HORNS)

We have DT's that can play & we need Tanzel Smart to show why we might need Patrick instead of Fox if our DE can't do better with pressure or run stopping. Gaines needs to play like a BULL as the Pat's #71 controls the LOS & we need to give Gaines the benefit of playing near AARON DONALD. Phillips needs to learn how to put OBO in different places to rush as he can help in run tackling as I watched in PS. We need guys punching that ball out like Littleton did last week and Obo had a FF in his last PS game. On offense we will see Goff hooking up deep with Cooks as we missed that in Carolina. Jared will be correcting his fundamentals & throwing more squared up and beating a weaker defensive backfiels and He will have big Whit on Cam their best rusher & Brian Allen won't have Dontari Poe & Booger McFarland the DT in his face. We should be able to run better than the Texans did on the aints. GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Good point, 503. DaSilva’s article in the original post claims it as fact that “Weddle had a concussion”, but I don’t see other articles which confirm it.

I re-watched the play again, and it’s really hard to tell whether or not Weddle lost consciousness. On the one hand, he did lie motionless for a few seconds. OTOH, the trainers brought him upright to a sitting position pretty quickly.

IIRC, last year Brandin Cooks had a concussion but returned within one week.

Lastly, I believe it is correct that a player in “concussion protocol” is being monitored for symptoms— but it doesn’t necessarily mean he had a concussion.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Only Weddle knows if he can play. So whatever McVay says, I dunno. It would be awesome if he did though...

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
What did I miss? All reports I read stated, "Weddle is going through concussion protocol." That shouldn't be confused with assessing with certainty that he was concussed.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ugh, Steve Wyche on NFLN just stated that Weddle “had a concussion.”

And as we know, Wyche is never vague or sloppy with words when discussing a Ram player’s injury

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. We'll definitely need Weddle in the secondary when we're going up against a quarterback like Brees.