Sean McVay attributes increased Todd Gurley usage to “me not being an idiot”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2019, 7:48 PM EST

gettyimages-1191321370-e1575506877530.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams had been careful with running back Todd Gurley for much of the season. In recent weeks, they’ve used him more extensively.
So what’s the reason for the heavier workload?

“Me not being an idiot,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Wednesday. “I think he’s felt good and, really, he’s done a nice job with that. You look at the Chicago game and then kind of just going from there, you don’t want to make the same mistakes that you ended up making earlier on in the season. I think he’s done a nice job handling a bigger workload, but then also, you do have confidence in those other guys if they need to give him a spell.”
McVay denied the notion that he used Gurley less earlier in the season to save him for the playoff push.

“It has nothing to do with that,” Gurley said. “It was really just, you’re just kind of working through the 2019 season — the best way to utilize all of our players and figuring out what our identity is. I think we’re still working through that, but didn’t have anything to do with [load management]. Shoot, we’re just trying to win a game. So certainly it wasn’t ever with the mindset of looking ahead before anything was accomplished.”
Many won’t buy this explanation. Given the issues Gurley dealt with last season, especially late in the year, it makes sense to be careful with him. He still has a lingering knee problem, an “arthritic component” as his trainer has called it.

Gurley’s touches in 2019 have unfolded like this: 15, 19, 14, 12, 18, zero (injured), 19, 10, 12, 28, 9, 20.

Gurley missed one game due to a quad injury unrelated to last year’s knee problems. And if it’s true that Gurley’s knee is fine and that his underutilization earlier in the year had nothing to do with concerns about saving him for later in the year, Gurley should be used far more aggressively during an upcoming run that includes games against the Seahawks, Cowboys, and 49ers.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Mcvay said it before the season that what he really wanted to focus on and learn from this year was feeling the Ebb and Flow. It happens throughout games as well as over an entire season.

We've had our struggles throughout the season. Multitude of reasons throughout the year for us losing games and for us not utilizing Gurley - for instance the Ravens and Bucs games both got out of control early.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He sure as hell looked fine on that long screen TD that was called back.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2019, 7:48 PM EST

gettyimages-1191321370-e1575506877530.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams had been careful with running back Todd Gurley for much of the season. In recent weeks, they’ve used him more extensively.
So what’s the reason for the heavier workload?
“Me not being an idiot,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Wednesday...
McVay denied the notion that he used Gurley less earlier in the season to save him for the playoff push.
“It has nothing to do with that,” Gurley said.

These are both fair statements in my opinion. I thought McVay's handling of Gurley earlier this year was awful. No situational awareness and not enough carries. The oline was bad too, but not using Gurley in key situations made it worse. If we are going to win games now Gurley must have a big role.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think losing Allen and Noteboom, and getting Blythe back to C is what has turned things around.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He sure as hell looked fine on that long screen TD that was called back.

Been saying this since last years cowgirls game. The only time Gurley doesnt look like the Gurley of old is when he has no blocking, then he looks like the Gurley of 2016.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Gurley has the same initial burst, speed nor lateral movement. He still can be affective, but he's running more like Malcolm Brown does now. You don't see the speed combined with subtle movements that caused defenders to whiff on tackling him. He doesn't explode through the initial cut and go move like he used to either. He's a different back now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will Los Angeles Rams HC Sean McVay be “an idiot” in Week 14 against the Seattle Seahawks?

The Rams’ head coach was hardest on himself on Wednesday regarding his usage of star RB Todd Gurley this year. What does that mean now that the Rams likely need to win out to make the 2020 NFL Playoffs?

By 3k@3k_ Dec 5, 2019, 12:21pm CST

Los Angeles Rams HC Sean McVay calls a play against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 13, Dec. 1, 2019.

Los Angeles Rams HC Sean McVay calls a play against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 13, Dec. 1, 2019. Photo by Kevin Abele/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Yesterday, Los Angeles Rams Head Coach Sean McVay was asked what has happened the last few weeks with the uptick in his usage of RB Todd Gurley.
His response?
Me not being an idiot.
That’s Sean McVay yet again offering himself up as the scapegoat to take responsibility for that which he isn’t solely and entirely responsible for.
That’s Sean McVay trying to bury the impact of the load management plan/veteran plan/whatever plan that has Gurley on track for the lowest rushing attempts in a single season in his career despite having only missed one game and perhaps the lowest receptions in a year outside of his rookie campaign. The idea that the Rams aren’t limiting his outputs is, to borrow a term from Vinny Bonsignore, the former beat writer for the Rams at the Athletic, “hogwash.”
Gurley has been prevented from excessive usage this year whether it’s because of the condition of his knee or concerns over the what that condition could allow or a general approach to preservation for JTG later into the season as well as later into his career now that he’s headed beyond his rookie contract after this season to be the highest-paid running back in the NFL in 2020.
But now, the Rams are facing the crux of the argument inherent in the load management plan. Sure, it’s fine to save Todd Gurley.
But to save him for what?
The answer is probably something close to a game against a 10-2 opponent in Week 14 with your back against the wall in the playoff picture.
It’s worth noting Gurley’s two highest carry totals have come amid the last three games with 25 carries in Week 11 against the Chicago Bears and 19 carries this last weekend against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 13. Coincidence or not, the Rams won those two games.
Now, they’re inviting the Seattle Seahawks to LA in what will be a massive meetup. The plan was, seemingly, to “take the load off so Todd Gurley can be better later in the season.” Well. now it’s later in the season.

It’s time to take off any brakes. Will McVay let him go? Or will he...be “an idiot?”

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/06/nfl-rams-todd-gurley-sean-mcvay-idiot/

“He said it, I didn’t,” Gurley said laughing. “That’s all I got to say. I don’t have anything else to say.”

When asked if he wants to continue getting more touches, Gurley repeated what he’s said in the past: It’s a team sport and there’s only one ball.

“It doesn’t matter. Hit you with the same answer: team sport, man,” he said. “Only one person gets the ball. We’ve got great running backs in Malcolm (Brown) and Darrell (Henderson Jr.) as well. Four great receivers and some good tight ends. (Tyler) Higbee had a great game last game. Whatever he calls, I’ll do my part and be ready.”

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Gotta give Gurley credit for being a (or was) superstar RB who isn’t selfish because he’s bought into the culture. Cool to see.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Gurley is a different back than he has been over the course of a pretty darn good career.

He's more of a straight line bulldozer now. It's almost like he's a throwback to the leather helmet days. He's still a stallion though (in that he's forcing defenders to make business decisions).

I agree that part of it is poor OL play though. He was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage a lot earlier on in the season.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the not playing the sophomores in the preseason thing.

The good news is 83 has jumped a level.

The great news is that Goff has been durable.

As long as Ramsey signs we're fine.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Foolio’s comment of “fuck the Rams,” I don’t regard what he has to say as anything other than veiled hate for team. I love how he tries to deflect the idea of his own bias in regard to Gurley’s knee, by starting off saying “”Many will say...” No, you coward, what don’t you be truthful and say “I would say?”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprise, surprise, Foolio and Simms are picking the Hawks. F*ck them.

TexasRam

Legend
There is no question in my mind that Gurley is not at 100%; He appears to have the straight line speed and power, but i think the lateral cutting isn’t there and is probably painful.

We almost never see him on those crossing routes or hard cutting routes anymore.

But It’s go time. We have to win and Gurley is going to get the ball and give it his all.

I think Mcvay is doing coach speak. Letting Gurley get the load so the critics don’t blame Mcvay for not playing Gurley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No coach works the press like McVay. I think that's something everyone misses. Since day one he's shown a natural ability to own that particular room and this whole thing is just another example of him doing that. Feed them that bull about Gurley since it's what they want to hear and they run all over the twittersphere with it. Whatever.

If he'd fed Gurley before we probably wouldn't be 7-5. This current line does allow for feeding Todd a bit more and he's done that. Not saying he's perfect btw, but I do think he has better instincts than fans and media give him cred for in his feel for when the run game is there.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the head coaches who would have this roster at this record.