Sean Mannion looks the part, hopes to make smooth transition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UDFA
If that were true, Keenum wouldn't have went to the Texans and started. Nor would the rams have traded anything for his return. I guarantee you that we keep 3 QBs. There's no reason to believe otherwise. Fisher isn't the type of coach that would keep a rookie the only backup. And Keenum would likely be grabbed by someone else.

Actually I'm completely right.
He was on the Rams PS and picked up after Mallet was injured.
Like I said... Guys their caliber are easily found & they aren't worth holding a roster spot *if* Mannion is up to speed & there's no reason to think he won't be.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I wish you guys would have listened to me sooner. Mannion IS the better QB in this years draft, as I keep saying, he reminds me of Brees - but I think he's going to be better.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect them to keep 3 qbs. Even if eventually they decide Mannion is ready and can be trusted as the #2 guy - that won't be for game 1. I'd expect that to be at least after the bye.

Besides, the OL will still be coming together. They really don't want to be in a situation where Foles gets hurt and then a rookie is forced into the lineup behind a sketchy line, with another QB signed off the street to be his backup.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Like I said... Guys their caliber are easily found & they aren't worth holding a roster spot *if* Mannion is up to speed & there's no reason to think he won't be.

I can't see it. Davis and Keenum know the offense which is much more valuable than saving a roster spot. My money is on keeping at least 3.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...pects-quarterbacks-b99486130z1-301167651.html

6. SEAN MANNION, Oregon State (6-5 ½, 226, 5.10, 4-5): Started 43 of 47 games, rewriting the Beavers' record book in a prostyle offense. His 13,600 passing yards rank eighth in Division I annals. "He spins a really good deep ball," one scout said. "He's very accurate and incredibly smart (Wonderlic of 40). People will knock him because of his 40 time, but he's got good enough feet to move around and slide in the pocket. I just like his presence." Coach's son from Pleasanton, Calif. Beavers were just 5-7 in 2014. Passer rating is 89.5. "Long, slow delivery," another scout said. "He reminds me of Derek Anderson, who came out of Oregon State 10 years ago. He's everybody's backup. This kid is so smart, he's playing to every bit of his ability."

UDFA
I can't see it. Davis and Keenum know the offense which is much more valuable than saving a roster spot. My money is on keeping at least 3.

Mannion already has s bunch of the terminology down... Ran a pro style offense for 4 years.. Can make all the throws & is very, very bright.
I'm, obviously, betting on him to be the backup. Is he starter material, long term? That remains to be seen.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

I wasn't arguing about where Keenum was, or whether or not you can get scrubs when you need them. I was disagreeing with you saying that only 2 will make the roster. I will be right about that and you will be wrong. Show me any season when Fisher has rolled two out with the backup being a rookie. He doesn't do it. And this won't be an exception. He isn't throwing draft picks out the window to get a QB back, just to kick him back to the curb. Keenum will be on the the roster, unless Davis beats him out. Whether you like it or not. Fisher does not start rookies unless they are absolutely ready. And no rookie will be absolutely ready week 1. Look at Donald, he didn't start right away. Look at Robinson, didn't start right away. Fisher eases rookies in. No way is Mannion our only backup come week 1. If I'm wrong, you can have all my ROD dollars, I'll cancel my account and walk away with my head in shame. Don't expect that to happen.

nighttrain

Legend
Mannion already has s bunch of the terminology down... Ran a pro style offense for 4 years.. Can make all the throws & is very, very bright.
I'm, obviously, betting on him to be the backup. Is he starter material, long term? That remains to be seen.
Agree with everything you said 100 %
train

UDFA
Okay.
I say Mannion wins the backup job outright.
The no rookie starters thing is a myth.. Others have written the multiple names Fish has started out the gate. Also, Mannion ain't starting.
But if Foles got hurt, I have no doubt Mannion would be the starter.
Not starting rookies is this year's Fish doesn't draft Oline in first round, apparently.

RamzFanz

Damnit
None of us can know what Fish will do. Me? I'm keeping three, no doubt about it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I may be in the minority, but if the running game pans out and the defense finally lives up to expectations, I don't see why Mannion couldn't do an Andy Dalton and take this team to the playoffs as a rookie.

Hopefully, with better results, of course.:whistle:

Living in Pac12 country I've seen enough of this guy from an opposing fans view, he could be every bit as good as Dalton in your scenario, our resident draftniks are going to be in for a pleasant surprise come late summer.

I'm sure there are some offensive systems where a guy like...say Grayson would excel over Mannion in, that being said I'm pretty sure Grayson would have been 2nd string to Mannion under Mike Riley, I think that will translate well with the Rams next year. This guy is nothing like that joke of a 6th round pick last year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Okay.
I say Mannion wins the backup job outright.
The no rookie starters thing is a myth.. Others have written the multiple names Fish has started out the gate. Also, Mannion ain't starting.
But if Foles got hurt, I have no doubt Mannion would be the starter.
Not starting rookies is this year's Fish doesn't draft Oline in first round, apparently.
He doesn't draft WRs in the first round either ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion was the most pro-ready QB in the draft. Not the most talented.. But the most equipped to be a year 1 starter.
He won't be the starter unless Foles gets hurt, but he will allow them to carry only 2 QBs.

I wouldn't go that far. But he is a fairly pro ready QB. More so than guys like Mariota, Hundley, and Petty.(although Mariota might be able to cope as a rookie based on his physical talent)

UDFA
I wouldn't go that far. But he is a fairly pro ready QB. More so than guys like Mariota, Hundley, and Petty.(although Mariota might be able to cope as a rookie based on his physical talent)
Fair. You're probably right as it seems Winston is special. I have a mental block on him because of all the other stuff.
The crab legs pic was funny... But really not indicative of a young man with his head on straight, imo.