Scot McCloughan fired today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's a shame. I know some die-hard skins fans that were on cloud nine last season.

If the drinking is not a problem, Kroenke should be looking hard at McLoughon and get him in the fold.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I hope McLoughlan gets the help needed to sort out his demons, alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs of our time - get well.

But the timing to me sounds like a PR stunt TBH

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...loughan-was-still-drinking-when-he-was-hired/

Washington knew McCloughan was still drinking when he was hired
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2017

Pretty much every aspect of the way Washington has handled the Scot McCloughan situation makes the organization look bad. If it’s true that he was fired due to an alcohol relapse, they shouldn’t have leaked unflattering details to the Washington Post. If alcohol issues were a pretext for firing a man who otherwise was performing his job in an acceptable manner, it’s beyond shameful.

There’s one important fact that suggests the latter view is the accurate one. Less than a month before Washington hired McCloughan, ESPN The Magazine published an article in which McCloughan admitted that he still uses alcohol.

“I’d think to myself, ‘OK, Scot, why not have a beer? It never affected your life before; you went from being an area scout to being General Manager,” McCloughan told Seth Wickersham. “Don’t touch the vodka, don’t touch the hard stuff. But if you want to have a beer, have a beer.’ So that’s where I got to. I stopped going to AA. . . . If I was an alcoholic and had a beer, I’d have two, then four, then six, then . . . you know, you can’t stop. I can. I can have a beer and I’m fine. I don’t need any more.”

McCloughan ordered a beer while meeting with Wickersham for the interview on which the profile was based.

The article carries a date of December 12, 2014. On January 7, 2015, Washington hired McCloughan.

Either they affirmatively knew that McCloughan was still using alcohol when he was hired, or they engaged in one of the worst background checks in the history of the NFL. Regardless, McCloughan didn’t have a “relapse” while with Washington; he was still drinking when he walked through the door.

And then, with power taken from Bruce Allen and given to the new arrival, McCloughan presided over the team’s first back-to-back winning seasons since 1996-97.

Regardless of how this will play out before the Commissioner and/or in a court of law, the decision to fire a guy for drinking when he was hired while drinking seems inherently, and grossly, unfair. If McCloughan’s drinking progressed to the point that the relationship could not continue, Washington should either have gotten him help or accepted the fact that, when signing him to a four-year contract, they knew damn well that this could happen.

Instead, they’ve tossed him out the same door for drinking through he entered while still drinking. That’s no way to run any responsible business, and the team deserves every ounce of criticism it’s getting from the media, and more.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RotoWorld :

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Field Yates report that NFL Network's Mike Mayock has "emerged as a candidate" for the Redskins' GM job.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 10 - 2:35 PM

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mike Mayock should avoid that place like Chernobyl

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/10/washington-redskins-scot-mccloughan-nfl-free-agency

There’s Another Mess in D.C.
The Redskins have spent much of this century redefining dysfunction, and now they’re at it again. Here’s a look at the firing of Scot McCloughan
by Albert Breer

mmqb-garcon-mccloughan.jpg

Photo: Jonathan Newton / The Washington Post via Getty Images

The first day of the 2017 league year started with news on the fortunes of big-name players breaking left and right.

It ended with the ouster of one of the best in the business when it comes to picking those guys.

That the Redskins would part ways with general manager Scot McCloughan became inevitable as one day rolled into the next without him at last week’s scouting combine. The company line was that a death in his family (his grandmother passed away Feb. 6) was keeping him away. The rumors of his past battles with alcohol resurfacing were more sinister.

The truth? Well, the truth is that at least a part of this is the Redskins reverting once more to being the dysfunctional organization we’ve all gotten to know over the past decade-and-a-half.

And so here we at the start of the league year, when so many teams are celebrating new beginnings, with one of the NFL’s flagship franchises blowing things up yet again. Only this time it’s not at the beginning of January or even late in the season, when these things are happening all over the place. This time the Redskins are losing their top talent evaluator smack in the heart of talent-evaluation season.

Power struggles are nothing new in D.C., nor is the concept of disagreement metastasizing into disaster. It happened when Vinny Cerrato was the GM working with Jim Zorn. It happened when the Robert Griffin III era was initially derailed by a knee injury, then sent into a ditch by his uneven play. It was obvious when the tension between ex-coach Mike Shanahan and owner Dan Snyder came to a head.

Before that, there was the circus of Steve Spurrier’s two years. Before that, there was Marty Schottenheimer’s one-year stop-in between longer tenures in Kansas City and San Diego.

So this one went wrong the way things usually do in Washington. It started with arguments over roles and duties within the organization—and that led to power plays over decisions. One involved whether or not to use the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins. Another centered on allocating resources to fix the defense over the course of the 2017 offseason.

And there came a point where team president Bruce Allen took over. The reasoning will be the subject of debate, but that shift in power is ultimately, as I understand it, a major reason why McCloughan wound up sitting out the combine, which is as central to his job as any event on the NFL calendar. This time it wasn’t about ownership. It became McCloughan vs. Allen.

While McCloughan hasn’t been involved in any Redskins decision over the past two weeks, the team has followed his board early in free agency—safety DJ Swearinger and defensive tackles Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee were high on his list as he emphasized rebuilding the defense up the middle. Washington landed all three of those guys. And the draft board, while subject to change, also was set before he left.

Was there one thing that might have been done differently had all of this not happened? My sense is the Redskins may have made a stronger effort to keep Pierre Garçon, although even that is questionable based on how the Niners valued him.

What McCloughan’s rivals will tell you is that he leaves behind a roster that’s much more competitive at the bottom, stronger in the middle class, and sturdier overall than perhaps any during Snyder’s ownership of the team.

But all the optimism and goodwill, and the public trust that was restored over the past two years—the first consecutive winning seasons since Snyder bought the team—has vanished overnight. Now, the future of the franchise looks as murky as it did in that chaotic final season of Zorn.

Maybe Allen and Jay Gruden—who has proven to be a very good head coach—can steady the ship over the coming months. Maybe they can weather coordinator changes on each side of the ball, navigate a stormy situation with Kirk Cousins and manage the attrition at the skill positions.

All I know is that as strange as the last week in Washington may seem on the surface, a closer looks at the actual issues shows many of them to be awfully familiar.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone know if he needs to be bought out despite being fired. I can't recall where I read that. Anyways I would bring him in to pair w/ Snead. Add the great gin blossoms to our crew

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My take from afar is that Bruce Allen resents McGloughan's success and wanted to be both GM and President (or w/e his current title is).

Problem is that he sucks hind end as a GM and McGloughan is still one of the best talent evaluators in the business.

It always baffles me how grown men become children over power struggles.

It's like they hate everything about Kindergarten...sharing...playing nicely together...having a buddy...nap time... seems that once some dudes get any responsibility at all, they become someone from Lord of the Flies.

It's a shame.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Does anyone know if he needs to be bought out despite being fired. I can't recall where I read that. Anyways I would bring him in to pair w/ Snead. Add the great gin blossoms to our crew

He was fired for cause, so Snyder is trying to NOT pay him.

Problem is they hired him over a beer. They knew he wasn't sober when they hired him, so certain workplace laws and the ADA prevents them from dismissing him unless they have gone through explicit steps. The team did not.

So, either they can pay him or pay their lawyers, his lawyers and then...ultimately pay him. And if their leaks prevent him from gaining further employment, they'll likely be sued for damages as well. And they'll lose on that count, too.

But, losing is pretty typical for Snyder...so they'll probably do that.

The smart thing would be to buy him out and say nothing more on the subject. Ever.

Notice, I said the smart thing...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yup, I know a lie when I smell it.

I'd heard his downfall was the qb position. He went to Snyder to convince him that RG3 wasn't the answer they needed to change to Cousins. Now this year after tagging Cousins twice he went to Snyder to tell him Cousins wasn't the answer they should trade him to the niners. That was the end for him because Snyder hates the Shanahans.

Those idiots should have locked up Cousins a long time ago. They could have signed him to a moderate contract for 4-6 years two years ago. Now they are losing WR's and Snyder is showing his azz once again.

In a wide-ranging column detailing the Redskins' impending split with GM Scot McCloughan, the Washington Post explains the separation was caused by arguments over control and whether to sign Kirk Cousins long term, and the Redskins' lack of support for McCloughan.

Cousins has been treated with some level of disdain too..........

“He’s had multiple relapses due to alcohol,” the unnamed source told the Post. “He showed up in the locker room drunk on multiple occasions. . . . This has been a disaster for 18 months.”

If he was fucking up for 18 months he would have been gone a LONG time ago.

Snyder is a joke.

Yup, worst owner in the NFL right now, he is the new generation Al Davis/Bud Adams.

The Redskins have spent much of this century redefining dysfunction, and now they’re at it again. Here’s a look at the firing of Scot McCloughan
by Albert Breer

Breer is a mostly reliable guy.