Schrager: Everyone Absolutely Loves Watkins and Mack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags

Some interesting discussions w/ NFL personnel re: Draft the past few days. Two names everyone absolutely loves? Sammy Watkins. Khalil Mack.

The Khalil Mack "hype" is real. I've heard he won't fall past no. 3.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags

Some interesting discussions w/ NFL personnel re: Draft the past few days. Two names everyone absolutely loves? Sammy Watkins. Khalil Mack.

The Khalil Mack "hype" is real. I've heard he won't fall past no. 3.
The hype is definitely real. Won't argue with that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The Jags would be a perfect fit for Mack. To bad their #1 need is a QB. Not sold on Henne.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I'm feeling like if I was in charge I would just stick at 2 and take Clowney if he falls or take Mack.

Those two are such great talents that I wouldn't trade back for anything that doesn't absolutely blow me away.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't want a 3-4 OLB from a smaller school at #2. He's not gonna see the field enough on top of that.

If they get stuck at #2 the only players I'd be happy with are Watkins and Matthews.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't want a 3-4 OLB from a smaller school at #2. He's not gonna see the field enough on top of that.

If they get stuck at #2 the only players I'd be happy with are Watkins and Matthews.

I concur Max Watkins or Matthews and if Watkins then Lewan at 13, but I truly believe someone will trade up regardless if Clowney goes at one. Quite frankly I'm starting to feel if the Texans go QB then I would stay at 2 and take Clowney.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't want a 3-4 OLB selected at #2 period. I don't care what school he played at.

However, I'm not locked into the mindset that Mack is said player and could see him easily play a Von Miller (another so-called projected 3-4 OLB) type role with a creative DC like Williams.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I concur Max Watkins or Matthews and if Watkins then Lewan at 13, but I truly believe someone will trade up regardless if Clowney goes at one. Quite frankly I'm starting to feel if the Texans go QB then I would stay at 2 and take Clowney.

Yup. I've been saying all along that Clowney is going #1 or #2, regardless of who takes him. And if he's there at #2, which I have no clue what the odds are, the Rams will take him unless they get a great deal. I mean, if Atlanta gives up their 2014 2nd rounder, and their 2015 first and 2nd rounder, then I would make that deal.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yup. I've been saying all along that Clowney is going #1 or #2, regardless of who takes him. And if he's there at #2, which I have no clue what the odds are, the Rams will take him unless they get a great deal. I mean, if Atlanta gives up their 2014 2nd rounder, and their 2015 first and 2nd rounder, then I would make that deal.

I would too. If the Rams draft Clowney, I would love it, but I couldn't turn that deal down. At 6, Rams still get a solid starter. Next draft Rams are going to have some needs and it's a good draft class. They may even need a QB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur with Max & RamzFanz I would do that deal if you're going to pass on that type of talent, it better be worth the price.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

This kid is just a stud in every definition of the word.

I can't say this enough. I really like Mack...I think he'll be a player in this league. We just don't need him, at all. I wish we needed an OLB, because we'd be guaranteed to have a shot at him, but there is no need. If this was last year, and OLB was a glaring hole, I'd be all for him. But fortunately Ogletree looks like a future stud and I don't think he'll be able to contribute so much on this team.

jjab360

Legend
I can't say this enough. I really like Mack...I think he'll be a player in this league. We just don't need him, at all. I wish we needed an OLB, because we'd be guaranteed to have a shot at him, but there is no need. If this was last year, and OLB was a glaring hole, I'd be all for him. But fortunately Ogletree looks like a future stud and I don't think he'll be able to contribute so much on this team.
I'll just say what I said in another thread:
Ogletree played pretty much every snap last year so it's not like there isn't PT to go around if we want two OLBs to see about 70% of the snaps instead of one getting 100% and the other just getting 40%. We could also play a lot less nickel if our OLBs were proficient enough in coverage. Mack is also strong enough to play DE, imo, so with all of these things combined I don't think there would be a problem getting a player as talented as he is on the field.
If you rate the guy that highly, then you find PT for him. You fit the scheme around him and not try to fit him into the scheme.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'll just say what I said in another thread:

If you rate the guy that highly, then you find PT for him. You fit the scheme around him and not try to fit him into the scheme.
That's a good point, if that's what the Rams plan to do. But in doing so, they'll be changing the scheme of the defense a bit. I don't mind since Williams will be doing that anyway. But I would want to make sure that my defense will be able to put JL, Ogletree and Mack out there for at least 70-80% of the defensive snaps.