Schottenheimer will not coach in Georgia’s bowl game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
Brian Schottenheimer may have fallen in love with the South but it appears the South did not fall in love with him

He's available:

Schottenheimer will not coach in Georgia’s bowl game

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/schottenheimer-will-not-coach-in-georgias-bowl-game

ATHENS — The Brian Schottenheimer era has ended at Georgia, after less than a year.

Seth Emerson

Schottenheimer has informed his players he will not coach the offense in the Taxslayer Bowl on Jan. 2, the school confirmed on Monday evening, not saying anything other than that.

The news means no Mark Richt, Jeremy Pruitt or Schottenheimer for Georgia’s bowl game. And more spots could be vacated between now and then. Tight ends coach John Lilly, who called plays in last year’s bowl game for Georgia, would likely do so again – assuming he’s still around by then.

It was a rough one season at Georgia for Schottenheimer, whose offense ranks 75th nationally in total yardage, down from 30th last year.

It’s not clear whether Schottenheimer made the decision on his own, thus walking away from a good amount of money, or reached a settlement with UGA. His contract entitles him to the remainder of his salary – about $1.9 million combined over the next two years – and a bowl bonus.

Lilly called the plays in last year’s Belk Bowl because the team was in between coordinators. Mike Bobo had left to become Colorado State’s head coach and Schottenheimer had not been hired yet. The result was a 37-14 win over Louisville in which Georgia’s offense racked up 492 yards.

This bowl has different dynamics, however. Nick Chubb, who rushed for 266 yards in last year’s bowl game, is hurt. Richt isn’t around as head coach anymore, with Bryan McClendon (the receivers coach) set to serve as interim head coach.

Again, assuming McClendon is still around. Georgia has a bowl media day on Wednesday, and every indication is McClendon will be there. Incoming head coach Kirby Smart will be back at Alabama preparing its defense for the national playoffs.

The bowl practices are going to see a handful of positions coached by graduate assistants. Georgia has also lost its defensive coordinator, Pruitt, who took the same job with Alabama. It’s expected that outside linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer will serve in the role in the short term. Inside linebackers coach Mike Ekeler might also be gone, as he’s expected to land a job elsewhere. Offensive line coach Rob Sale has also seen his job filled, by Sam Pittman, but it’s not known if Sale will serve through the bowl.

Georgia has used graduate assistants in bowls before, when it has been in between assistants. The defensive staff only had one full-time coach in the Independence Bowl after the 2009 season, and Georgia won that game.

But that was just on one side of the ball, and with the head coach still in place. This time Georgia is approaching a skeleton crew.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Den (I think it was Den), you were right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It’s not clear whether Schottenheimer made the decision on his own, thus walking away from a good amount of money, or reached a settlement with UGA.
It'd be interesting to find this out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah Den nailed it, I didn't expect him to be so bad that Richt would be fired, since Richt was an offensive background guy and all. But it demonstrates how important the coordinator is particularly when you consider the talent on that team.

Schotty needs to get a job as a QB coach under a program with a very strong offensive minded coach. At least that's what I'd do if I were him, even if it's a small college. IMO that's the prob with sons of coaches, they can climb too fast.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
ha! there's always high school ball Schotty. shouldn't be too difficult for you

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Richt had been on the hot seat at UGA for some time now, well before Schottenheimer showed up. Can't blame Schott for Richt's firing.

UGA fans want a NC so bad that they'll clamor to fire a coach that averages 9 wins a season and a good bowl every year. They want to be Alabama and think that they should be.

Every coach in the SEC West is making $4M a year and all are in Bowl games but they wanted to fire Les Miles, and Malzahn and Sumlin are next.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well knock me over with a feather. What a shock.

And yes, it was Den who predicted that Schotty would get Richt fired.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Boras didn't get promoted on the basis of his "success" with the TEs...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Richt had been on the hot seat at UGA for some time now, well before Schottenheimer showed up. Can't blame Schott for Richt's firing.

C'mon now... that's no fun!!! :LOL:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
C'mon now... that's no fun!!! :LOL:

I know.
Didn't want to spoil it but I watch a lot of SEC football.

Frankly, Richt had won 2 SEC titles and I think had them in 3 other SEC championship games and UGA fans wanted him gone....unbelievable to me

MrMotes

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well a couple things are certain: Schottenheimer didn't save Richt and Georgia isn't interested in keeping Schotty around...