Schottenheimer on A.J. Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
ramsince62 said:
X said:
Overall records of head coaching candidates shouldn't be the primary focus. What should come into play is their ability to lead and whether or not they have a specific vision. That should work in concert with a GM and/or President of Football Operations who shares that vision - or at least one that put it in place to begin with.

Personally, I think it should start from the top down. Kroenke needs to name it, and then make sure everyone under him is on board with the plan. Even if that were to mean retaining everyone next year, he would STILL need to make it public. That would give him accountability and would remove confusion from the rest of the hierarchy.

That's the one thing Spagnuolo did that was most important. The whole "4 Pillars" idea. That's the way he and Devaney were building the team, and then everything else was supposed to just fall in place if they were successful in forming a team according to that plan. Obviously a lot of things transpired that derailed the plan, so we're left with what we've got. When discussing potential replacements, I think it's pretty important (to me at least) to determine the character and vision OF said potential replacements.

My two cents.
Very well said X, seriously.... I've said before that I'm not opposed to Spags return next season. Sadly, this season has been particularly harmful to Spags vision, we all know the primary reason why (injuries). At the same time, this is the NFL (not for long) and by just about every measure, this team has taken a step backwards. The world's unfair, in fact, it often sucks....I guess at this point we can only "watch and wait". Whatever happens, I hope it marks a positive change, because man oh man, do we need it...I'm just so sick of watching these guys lose, I can't stand it. :evil:
I hear ya, 62. And I share your pain. We were able to watch some good ball up until the 90's hit, and then whoa Nelly. Sans the quick lightning in a bottle fix that had absolutely no sustainability (because of COMPLETE front office dysfunction and power given to a coach who couldn't wield it right), we've endured a lot.
I've always wondered what would have happened if Vermiel didn't retire then. I think if he stayed around another three years, we win at least another Superbowl. Also, I think Martz would have done a better job as HC, after getting to see how it was done under DV.

But as far as today goes, I agree. We need some sustainability. Some type of long-term success. The Rams need to define whatever they want this team to be and then go get it. I've had to endure a terrible, terrible past five seasons. I don't want to have endure another five. This constant rebuilding has made me lose more hair than I needed and I don't want to be completely bald by 2016.

I would give Billy, Spags, and McD one more year. I like that they had a plan and vision and were on the right track, until the injuries hit. There has to be some progress. Otherwise, then he can change direction. I don't mean they have to win a Superbowl, but they need to be competitive and show signs of improvement or it's the door. I think if Spags and McD had the talent with experience, they would be winning games right now.

Given the injuries Kroenke should give them another chance. People around the league think that Spags is a good coach, and I think you'll see that after he is no longer the Rams coach. Maybe Kroenke would hire the next Lombardi, who knows, but I'd rather not be like the Browns and let Belichick go to the next team and start a dynasty there. I want a dynasty for the Rams.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
brokeu91 said:
X said:
ramsince62 said:
X said:
Overall records of head coaching candidates shouldn't be the primary focus. What should come into play is their ability to lead and whether or not they have a specific vision. That should work in concert with a GM and/or President of Football Operations who shares that vision - or at least one that put it in place to begin with.

Personally, I think it should start from the top down. Kroenke needs to name it, and then make sure everyone under him is on board with the plan. Even if that were to mean retaining everyone next year, he would STILL need to make it public. That would give him accountability and would remove confusion from the rest of the hierarchy.

That's the one thing Spagnuolo did that was most important. The whole "4 Pillars" idea. That's the way he and Devaney were building the team, and then everything else was supposed to just fall in place if they were successful in forming a team according to that plan. Obviously a lot of things transpired that derailed the plan, so we're left with what we've got. When discussing potential replacements, I think it's pretty important (to me at least) to determine the character and vision OF said potential replacements.

My two cents.
Very well said X, seriously.... I've said before that I'm not opposed to Spags return next season. Sadly, this season has been particularly harmful to Spags vision, we all know the primary reason why (injuries). At the same time, this is the NFL (not for long) and by just about every measure, this team has taken a step backwards. The world's unfair, in fact, it often sucks....I guess at this point we can only "watch and wait". Whatever happens, I hope it marks a positive change, because man oh man, do we need it...I'm just so sick of watching these guys lose, I can't stand it. :evil:
I hear ya, 62. And I share your pain. We were able to watch some good ball up until the 90's hit, and then whoa Nelly. Sans the quick lightning in a bottle fix that had absolutely no sustainability (because of COMPLETE front office dysfunction and power given to a coach who couldn't wield it right), we've endured a lot.
I've always wondered what would have happened if Vermiel didn't retire then. I think if he stayed around another three years, we win at least another Superbowl. Also, I think Martz would have done a better job as HC, after getting to see how it was done under DV.

But as far as today goes, I agree. We need some sustainability. Some type of long-term success. The Rams need to define whatever they want this team to be and then go get it. I've had to endure a terrible, terrible past five seasons. I don't want to have endure another five. This constant rebuilding has made me lose more hair than I needed and I don't want to be completely bald by 2016.

I would give Billy, Spags, and McD one more year. I like that they had a plan and vision and were on the right track, until the injuries hit. There has to be some progress. Otherwise, then he can change direction. I don't mean they have to win a Superbowl, but they need to be competitive and show signs of improvement or it's the door. I think if Spags and McD had the talent with experience, they would be winning games right now.

Given the injuries Kroenke should give them another chance. People around the league think that Spags is a good coach, and I think you'll see that after he is no longer the Rams coach. Maybe Kroenke would hire the next Lombardi, who knows, but I'd rather not be like the Browns and let Belichick go to the next team and start a dynasty there. I want a dynasty for the Rams.
Please just hire a CEO for the Rams organization, someone who is accountable to Stan on everything. And please ... please... have that person replace John Shaw at the navigator for this ship.