Schottenheimer on A.J. Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

It's kind of a long and slow developing interview, so I cut out the part where he gives his opinion of A.J. Smith. Remembering of course that Schottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season. Obviously we don't have both sides of the story, but most accounts of Smith coming out now don't hold him in a very respectable light.

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/schottenheimer.mp3[/mp3]

Entire interview here:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/templates/audio_player.php?type=s&a=5298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/templates/audio_ ... e=s&a=5298</a>

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Honestly, I would rather have Shotty as HC than AJ Smith and Chucky running amok around Earth City......

Lesson

Oh, really?
Faceplant said:
Honestly, I would rather have Shotty as HC than AJ Smith and Chucky running amok around Earth City......

Marty is Jeff Fisher before Jeff Fisher was Jeff Fisher.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Schotty is a player's coach. Always has been. I was never a fan of his cheesy pre-game and post-game speeches, but for whatever reason, players ate it up. He knew how to treat people and players, and he was pretty well respected. By everyone except A.J. Smith, apparently.

Be that as it may, somewhere in that interview he was asked if he was done with coaching, and he pretty much said he was. BUT. He couldn't rule anything out. So there's a very small possibility he could return under the right circumstances. So let's just add another rumor to the rumor mill. If Spagnuolo is released from his obligations here, he did build something that is VERY conducive to Schottenheimer's success. A team full of quality character guys.

Yeah, I wouldn't be averse to that either.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

Marty's Career Record: 205-139-1 (Overall)
Jeff Fisher's Career Record: 147-126-0 (Overall)

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Schotty is a player's coach. Always has been. I was never a fan of his cheesy pre-game and post-game speeches, but for whatever reason, players ate it up. He knew how to treat people and players, and he was pretty well respected. By everyone except A.J. Smith, apparently.

Be that as it may, somewhere in that interview he was asked if he was done with coaching, and he pretty much said he was. BUT. He couldn't rule anything out. So there's a very small possibility he could return under the right circumstances. So let's just add another rumor to the rumor mill. If Spagnuolo is released from his obligations here, he did build something that is VERY conducive to Schottenheimer's success. A team full of quality character guys.

Yeah, I wouldn't be averse to that either.

Schotty has won everywhere he has gone. His only knock is his playoff record. I remember when he was here coaching the Redskins, and how much the players liked him. He had the team going in the right direction until the Danny decided to screw things up....again. You need look no further than the Redskins as a model for how NOT to do things in the NFL. They have had 8 coaches over the last 20 years!!

Lesson

Oh, really?
Faceplant said:
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

0 Superbowl wins between them.

1 Superbowl appearance.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

0 Superbowl wins between them.

1 Superbowl appearance.

By that logic, would you not want Andy Reid as your coach????

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Overall records of head coaching candidates shouldn't be the primary focus. What should come into play is their ability to lead and whether or not they have a specific vision. That should work in concert with a GM and/or President of Football Operations who shares that vision - or at least one that put it in place to begin with.

Personally, I think it should start from the top down. Kroenke needs to name it, and then make sure everyone under him is on board with the plan. Even if that were to mean retaining everyone next year, he would STILL need to make it public. That would give him accountability and would remove confusion from the rest of the hierarchy.

That's the one thing Spagnuolo did that was most important. The whole "4 Pillars" idea. That's the way he and Devaney were building the team, and then everything else was supposed to just fall in place if they were successful in forming a team according to that plan. Obviously a lot of things transpired that derailed the plan, so we're left with what we've got. When discussing potential replacements, I think it's pretty important (to me at least) to determine the character and vision OF said potential replacements.

My two cents.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RealRamsFan said:
Faceplant said:
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

I'll take any of those coaches.....I dont get why Fisher is getting talked bad about. Don't we want a winning HC?

Not like we saying hire Linehan back. We talking a HC who is an icon in the NFL

Its many of HC's that don't have a SB ring......I mean come on....Is Marv Levy or Dan Reeves not good coaches???? How about the Rams former coach Chuck Knox.....C'mon

:shock:

B/c he, IMO, is incredibly overrated b/c of his tenure. Yeah, great. 6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons (not including 1994). Congrats on nearly winning a SB, only getting there b/c of the Music City Miracle. THIS Rams team need needs luck of that magnitude.

It's not b/c he doesn't have a SB ring, b/c I agree that doesn't tell the whole story about a coach. Just look @ his records. Great season or 2, followed by disappointment and mediocrity. IDK about you, but I would like to see a perrinial contender, year in and out, no matter what, w/ 9+ wins every year.

And let's just say everything will be puppy dogs and ice cream, and Fisher gets 3 years of 10+ wins. And let's even throw in a Lombardi in there. What makes you think he'll want to be here for the long term? He could retire after 3 years. And right back where we are today. Only difference is that whoever that coach would be will have a great roster (assuming the draft picks pan out).

Get a cooridnator, someone that will be w/ the team for a long, long time. I don't give a damn that he would be "unproven".

Schwartz, Bellichick, both Harbaughs, Tomlin, McCarthy, Rivera, Payton, Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Ryan, Lovie, Mike Smith, Carrol (what did he "prove" w/ NE?). Even Andy Reid, was a one time assistant.

I just gave you damn near half the league who hired "unproven" cooridnators. How that work out for them?

Well actually, scratch that. Andy Reid...who is 10X better than Fisher IMO. He might get fired, but undeservingly. Better record, more playoff appearances, 5 NFC championship games, 1 SB appearance. But point still stands as, he was one time "unproven."

Bottom line: The Rams need to get players more than coaches.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/clang.mp3[/mp3]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Faceplant said:
Gruden/Smith combo will really make me question my continued loyalty to this team. I can't think of a worse combo for the longterm health of the franchise.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RealRamsFan said:
interference said:
Faceplant said:
Gruden/Smith combo will really make me question my continued loyalty to this team. I can't think of a worse combo for the longterm health of the franchise.

Really?

Put it this way....the things Gruden and Smith accomplished....I would take that over what we have had in past 10 years.....EASY
The means are more important to me than they seem to be to you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
RealRamsFan said:
interference said:
Faceplant said:

Really?

Put it this way....the things Gruden and Smith accomplished....I would take that over what we have had in past 10 years.....EASY
The means are more important to me than they seem to be to you.
There it is. One day I'll be able to condense my thoughts into one sentence. But then again, I still have time.
I've only been a Rams fan since 1978. NOT 1973 like you. :ww:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RealRamsFan said:
Angry Ram said:
RealRamsFan said:
Faceplant said:
Lesson said:
Faceplant said:

I'll take any of those coaches.....I dont get why Fisher is getting talked bad about. Don't we want a winning HC?

Not like we saying hire Linehan back. We talking a HC who is an icon in the NFL

Its many of HC's that don't have a SB ring......I mean come on....Is Marv Levy or Dan Reeves not good coaches???? How about the Rams former coach Chuck Knox.....C'mon

:shock:

B/c he, IMO, is incredibly overrated b/c of his tenure. Yeah, great. 6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons (not including 1994). Congrats on nearly winning a SB, only getting there b/c of the Music City Miracle. THIS Rams team need needs luck of that magnitude.

It's not b/c he doesn't have a SB ring, b/c I agree that doesn't tell the whole story about a coach. Just look @ his records. Great season or 2, followed by disappointment and mediocrity. IDK about you, but I would like to see a perrinial contender, year in and out, no matter what, w/ 9+ wins every year.

And let's just say everything will be puppy dogs and ice cream, and Fisher gets 3 years of 10+ wins. And let's even throw in a Lombardi in there. What makes you think he'll want to be here for the long term? He could retire after 3 years. And right back where we are today. Only difference is that whoever that coach would be will have a great roster (assuming the draft picks pan out).

Get a cooridnator, someone that will be w/ the team for a long, long time. I don't give a damn that he would be "unproven".

Schwartz, Bellichick, both Harbaughs, Tomlin, McCarthy, Rivera, Payton, Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Ryan, Lovie, Mike Smith, Carrol (what did he "prove" w/ NE?). Even Andy Reid, was a one time assistant.

I just gave you damn near half the league who hired "unproven" cooridnators. How that work out for them?

Well actually, scratch that. Andy Reid...who is 10X better than Fisher IMO. He might get fired, but undeservingly. Better record, more playoff appearances, 5 NFC championship games, 1 SB appearance. But point still stands as, he was one time "unproven."

Fisher 6 seasons of 10 or more wins in 16 years

Holmgren has 6 seasons of 10 or more wins in 20 years....4 came with Brett at QB

Fisher has a 54% win %.

Fisher has had a competitive team almost every year....only 1 season with less than 5 wins.....only 5 losing seasons....

You have a piont Reid and others were at one time unproven....but they never was at the helm of a team that has the worst 3 year tenure in NFL history....you seen the direction those HC were going in.

What direction is the Rams going in?
Its 3 years and I still can not figure out the team identity....Thats a major problem.

In 3 years its still no direction on how we going to rebuild......they said draft and we had on of the youngest teams in 2010......they then cut half their draft picks and we have one of the oldest....whats the direction???

Fisher is a good, well respected coach and all he does, for the most part , is win....and win with Chandler and Collins is not easy task. Imagine him with Sam, Long, Quinn, JL, Mikell, and so forth

I agree we do need players...need players VERY BAD

Again, you're missing my point.

The best teams year in and year out of 9+ wins, are in the playoffs almost every year, and can win the SB any given year.

Fisher has a bunch of 7-9, 8-8 seasons. Do you really want years of being average?? I just don't bye into the Fisher hype. And again, even he proves me wrong, he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
And again, even he proves me wrong, he'll be gone sooner rather than later.
That's part of the reason too. Longevity. Who knows how long he'd like to coach? See, I like the IDEA of Spagnuolo every bit as much as I like Spagnuolo. After 20 years of meh (sans lightning in a bottle), I'm ready to see this Franchise say they're gonna build something, build it, and then continue to further the plan. I'd like to see disciples of the head coach stay in place like a Dick LeBeau and Cam Cameron. For years and years. I'm tired of this three year rebuild crap. I'd like for the Rams to be a model of stability and consistency for once in my life.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
After the way that Smith screwed with Tomlinson, I don't want him anywhere near the Rams. That guy is a total fucking douchebag who treats the people who work under him like shit (see Tomlinson and Schottenheimer). Is that who we want as a GM?

Personally, if Andy Reid and Spags are fired, I'd love to hire Reid. His defensive system is almost exactly the same as ours. On defense alone, Rams have elite pass-rushers (Long, Quinn, Sims, a healthy Hall), good corners when healthy (including a new find in Gordy), two good safeties (including Mikell, who's familiar with the system), and one of the best middle linebackers in the league in Laurinaitis. On offense, Bradford, Jackson, Lloyd (please resign him), a healthy Amendola, Dahl, and Saffold (I really do think he'll have a bounce-back year in 2012) are solid building blocks. We just need more playmakers and linemen.

Still, this is only if Spags is fired. I personally want him to be retained as HC, so that a scenario like what X is painting can arise.

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
Faceplant said:

Completely agree, especially Smith

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Overall records of head coaching candidates shouldn't be the primary focus. What should come into play is their ability to lead and whether or not they have a specific vision. That should work in concert with a GM and/or President of Football Operations who shares that vision - or at least one that put it in place to begin with.

Personally, I think it should start from the top down. Kroenke needs to name it, and then make sure everyone under him is on board with the plan. Even if that were to mean retaining everyone next year, he would STILL need to make it public. That would give him accountability and would remove confusion from the rest of the hierarchy.

That's the one thing Spagnuolo did that was most important. The whole "4 Pillars" idea. That's the way he and Devaney were building the team, and then everything else was supposed to just fall in place if they were successful in forming a team according to that plan. Obviously a lot of things transpired that derailed the plan, so we're left with what we've got. When discussing potential replacements, I think it's pretty important (to me at least) to determine the character and vision OF said potential replacements.

My two cents.
Very well said X, seriously.... I've said before that I'm not opposed to Spags return next season. Sadly, this season has been particularly harmful to Spags vision, we all know the primary reason why (injuries). At the same time, this is the NFL (not for long) and by just about every measure, this team has taken a step backwards. The world's unfair, in fact, it often sucks....I guess at this point we can only "watch and wait". Whatever happens, I hope it marks a positive change, because man oh man, do we need it...I'm just so sick of watching these guys lose, I can't stand it. :evil:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
X said:

My two cents.
Very well said X, seriously.... I've said before that I'm not opposed to Spags return next season. Sadly, this season has been particularly harmful to Spags vision, we all know the primary reason why (injuries). At the same time, this is the NFL (not for long) and by just about every measure, this team has taken a step backwards. The world's unfair, in fact, it often sucks....I guess at this point we can only "watch and wait". Whatever happens, I hope it marks a positive change, because man oh man, do we need it...I'm just so sick of watching these guys lose, I can't stand it. :evil:
I hear ya, 62. And I share your pain. We were able to watch some good ball up until the 90's hit, and then whoa Nelly. Sans the quick lightning in a bottle fix that had absolutely no sustainability (because of COMPLETE front office dysfunction and power given to a coach who couldn't wield it right), we've endured a lot.