Scheme Focus, but Talent Matters most

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Earlier this year I broke down how Shanahan out-schemed McVay in the first 49’er game, yet the Rams talent won the day. This Super Bowl, the media is focused on the matchup between McVay and Belicheat along with McDaniels and Phillips. While preparation and in-game adjustments are paramount in all NFL games, ultimately the onus rests on how well the players execute after the third step of each play. Coaches put players in optimum positions, but after that....it’s all about talent, instincts, and drive.

With these two coaching staffs, there are bound to be winning plays on both sides. The chess match, as fascinating as it is, will only take each team so far.

My point is that each player has to win his own battles and the collective result will determine the outcome of this game. Who is going to fumble, create a strip, ad lib, get penalized, break a tackle, lose composure, miss an assignment, make an unblockable move to blow up a play, or drop a pass? These are the things that won’t show up on a chalkboard or iPad. These are the things that will make the difference.

This is why the Rams will win. Other than QB, the Rams have superior players at every position group on the field. While some may argue the Pats OLine, LB’s, TE’s and DB’s are equal to or superior to the Ram’s, I disagree. However, there can’t be any genuine argument that the Pats have better RB’s, Receivers, DLine, or ST’s. In short, the Rams have a superior roster and THAT will be the story after the Lombardi is sent to LA in February.

Too bad 1/3 of the Ram roster will turnover this offseason. It’s the nature of today’s NFL. But for now, this is as a special collection of talent as the Rams ever had (with all due respect to the 2001 team). Sunday, we get to watch the new dynasty wear the crown.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Earlier this year I broke down how Shanahan out-schemed McVay in the first 49’er game, yet the Rams talent won the day. This Super Bowl, the media is focused on the matchup between McVay and Belicheat along with McDaniels and Phillips. While preparation and in-game adjustments are paramount in all NFL games, ultimately the onus rests on how well the players execute after the third step of each play. Coaches put players in optimum positions, but after that....it’s all about talent, instincts, and drive.

With these two coaching staffs, there are bound to be winning plays on both sides. The chess match, as fascinating as it is, will only take each team so far.

My point is that each player has to win his own battles and the collective result will determine the outcome of this game. Who is going to fumble, create a strip, ad lib, get penalized, break a tackle, lose composure, miss an assignment, make an unblockable move to blow up a play, or drop a pass? These are the things that won’t show up on a chalkboard or iPad. These are the things that will make the difference.

This is why the Rams will win. Other than QB, the Rams have superior players at every position group on the field. While some may argue the Pats OLine, LB’s, TE’s and DB’s are equal to or superior to the Ram’s, I disagree. However, there can’t be any genuine argument that the Pats have better RB’s, Receivers, DLine, or ST’s. In short, the Rams have a superior roster and THAT will be the story after the Lombardi is sent to LA in February.

Too bad 1/3 of the Ram roster will turnover this offseason. It’s the nature of today’s NFL. But for now, this is as a special collection of talent as the Rams ever had (with all due respect to the 2001 team). Sunday, we get to watch the new dynasty wear the crown.
Exactly right!! McVay and Phillips will match up tactically, but the Rams are clearly superior in talent.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Sunday, we get to watch the new dynasty wear the crown.
The Rams stand very little chance of winning; yes, their talent is better. But the Brady at week 8-9, who was a B- QB, is now an A+ again. IF Rams CBs have to play lights out, while we have a consisent pass rush---which I dont count on, then we have a good chance. We can count on the offense being smart---but Bellyboy has outsmarted almost every coach. If our corners play A+ and we get to Brady, we have a chance.

Can Roby C handle Edelman? IF he can, wow...but, I doubt it; who has? Can Talib handle Gronk? Yes. Will he? Maybe.

Goff, who will go to the HOF, is a long way away from playing at an A- level by himself. In the 4th quarter and OT he weas great; he will need that for 5 quarters on Sunday. DOn't see it against this smart D. I predicted a punt block in the playoffs--hasn't happened...we need something on the special teams!

If Rams win, McVay will kinged...and knighted. Somehow, I don't care so much if Rams lose....let's see what happens when I wake up MOnday, lol. Maybe I have grown up :)

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The Rams stand very little chance of winning; yes, their talent is better. But the Brady at week 8-9, who was a B- QB, is now an A+ again. IF Rams CBs have to play lights out, while we have a consisent pass rush---which I dont count on, then we have a good chance. We can count on the offense being smart---but Bellyboy has outsmarted almost every coach. If our corners play A+ and we get to Brady, we have a chance.

Can Roby C handle Edelman? IF he can, wow...but, I doubt it; who has? Can Talib handle Gronk? Yes. Will he? Maybe.

Goff, who will go to the HOF, is a long way away from playing at an A- level by himself. In the 4th quarter and OT he weas great; he will need that for 5 quarters on Sunday. DOn't see it against this smart D. I predicted a punt block in the playoffs--hasn't happened...we need something on the special teams!

If Rams win, McVay will kinged...and knighted. Somehow, I don't care so much if Rams lose....let's see what happens when I wake up MOnday, lol. Maybe I have grown up :)
Just overflowing with optimism eh Steve?

fearsomefour

Legend

This is the problem with playing NE.
Everyone knows that rub route is coming to Edleman....just as others knew the post was going to Rice or the deep cross to Bruce. Edleman is not in their class as a WR, but, but play is. If you want to give him a bunch of attention and go man with Gronk it a physical mistmatch vs anyone....even with Gronk aging before our eyes. Jump inside and Brady can throw it up high and away and let the giant get it. Play out side and Gronk just shields the defender off to an inside pass. You want to bracket both of them and NE will play power football and run the ball vs a dime. Then come the wide array of screen passes.
As for talent the Chargers and Chiefs both have more talent than NE.
I'm not saying the Rams will lose but to win the Rams have to run the ball or score 40 points in my opinion.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Our guys are far more talented, probably the best roster in the leauge.

Gronkowski is not the old Gronk, I think john Johnson matches up well and makes plays for the defense .

Talib Is physical with Edelman and limits him . Outside of that the others dont scare me , UNLESS peters jumps the wrong route and gets burnt .

BUT u dont have to worry about any of that, Tom will feel be under pressure like he was against the Giants in those 2 superbowls, and Wade in Denver.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Rams must be physical at the LOS all day long. We know the Pasties will grab and hold.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
2 SB tickets for sale, cheap. No sense in going since we already know the outcome :giveup::redcard:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I agree with most of this, but NO WAY do the Pats have a better RB corps.

Not a chance on God’s green earth.

Ram65

Legend
The talent level is close. Against the Chiefs, NE made a lot of close catches that may be hard to duplicated. Sure players play but, the chess match could be epic and is a big part of the outcome. I suppose every game gets down to who makes plays and who doesn't. That's why they play the game.,

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Sorry, but that can't be right. I doubt very much if Belichick and Brady are underestimating the Rams as much as you do. They know they will have their hands full. Patriots were fortunate to beat KC, lost in the Super Bowl last year. They don't walk on water.

Even if the media nonsense were not nonsense, it's a football game. The Rams have an outstanding team. Just by showing up on the field they would have a better chance than you give them.

If the Rams win, as I think they will, all of a sudden the talking heads will be blathering about how it's all over for the Patriots dynasty, not enough talent, Brady and Gronkowski getting old, etc.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@leoram you always have well thought out and articulated posts.

I agree that the talent on field means more than the coaches almost every time. The fact that the Rams are facing Belichik reduces that margin more than anything, though I still believe the Rams should win the game.

This is a rare and special defensive mind. He is like Martz only on the other side of the ball. Yeah they have cheated to win, but even without that I'd say the same thing.

In the Pro Football HOF many years ago I saw a glimpse, though didn't realize it fully until later, years later. In a glass case they displayed his handwritten notes on lined paper, the same stuff you would use in high school. Perfect block printing.........he had every play the Bills had run all year and a formation/play to counter it. Talk about thorough!

I think the Rams talent will win the day. But out of the AFC this is the most dangerous team because of Brady and Belichik. If the Rams were playing SD, KC or anyone else I'd be celebrating already.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good OP

But when it comes to beating NE you have to out scheme them to win. They aren't as talented as most teams across the roster. They haven't been for quite sometime now, yet they're winning trophies. Belichick will out scheme you 9 times out of 10 and if you don't have the ability to adjust and execute on the fly you're in trouble.
What's cool is McVay and Wade have proven that they can and will adjust if something's not working. McVay isn't a HC who get's deer-eyed when a week's worth of gameplanning proves to be a mistake.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In my eyes, there are a couple of problems with this post. Our number one priority on defense is stopping the run. If we can take that away from the Pats, like we did against the Cowboys and the Saints, we can make them one dimensional. If we can get them in third and long, while Brady is playing at a top-notch level, he is not going to win them all.

This post's offensive side puts the pressure on Goff. Sunday's Superbowl rests on the shoulders of Todd Gurley. I know we have CJ, but we need to see the Todd Gurley we haven't seen in weeks. if we run for 150 yards in this game, it's over. Keep Brady off the field and open up play action fakes on first down for second and third down short yardage situations. Is Gurley healthy enough to give us that? He said earlier this week that he isn't on the injury list, so he's good. We'll see.

We have to start early. I know that our team is reactionary, and I like that. We can't get behind this team. We can't get our D tired. Our run game must be spot on.

The post I quoted didn't have any of these points. So, if we are handing out grades, I am going to have to give it a C-.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

In my eyes, there are a couple of problems with this post.
I must be wrong, the Rams will win!
Yes, I assume we stop the rush--that doesn't guarentee victor, but it has us knockin' on Brady's collapsable door