Scary night

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So I was about to relax for the night, watch the Thunder/Celtics game when I heard a chopper right above my house. Turns out it was circulating around my block. Choppers fly over my house all the time, so I wasn't too worried. Then I saw ambulance lights, cop cars, fire trucks, behind my house. A guy got sick few weeks ago, so that's what I thought it was. Well, actually it turns out that the man living there got his house broken into and he was shot and later died (sad). This happened right behind my house. There were K9 units, foot patrol, and chopper search lookin for them. The guys who did this are apparently caught, but man that was a scary few hours.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
So I was about to relax for the night, watch the Thunder/Celtics game when I heard a chopper right above my house. Turns out it was circulating around my block. Choppers fly over my house all the time, so I wasn't too worried. Then I saw ambulance lights, cop cars, fire trucks, behind my house. A guy got sick few weeks ago, so that's what I thought it was. Well, actually it turns out that the man living there got his house broken into and he was shot and later died (sad). This happened right behind my house. There were K9 units, foot patrol, and chopper search lookin for them. The guys who did this are apparently caught, but man that was a scary few hours.

....Wow. I cant even imagine going thru something like that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:

That's just frightening...and I have to hope that the poor man rests in peace. I'm glad you're alright.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pretty crazy, always sad when innocent people are killed over something that was probably really stupid and not worth much anyway. I hope those two are jailed for life.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, here's an update.

There's actually 4 ppl in custody, and they are nothing more than teenagers. They wanted money and shot him.

Even though I'm shaken, can't live in fear. Tomorrow is a new day.

Angry Ram

No, I still live w/ my parents and gettin a handgun will not sit well with them.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Shotgun is what you need. You don't miss with them and dead men don't sue!

RIP to your neighbor.

superfan24

Starter
Wow man glad you are ok too and that the guys are caught.
Anyone hear the recent story of a woman who killed a burglar with a shotgun and the other guy fled after the 1st one was shot? Gotta protect yourself at all times.

Angry Ram

Thank you, super.

Here's the latest (just heard on local news). 5 guys were arrested, 4 teenagers and a 28 year old. Police say the house was random choosing, but saw through peeping windows (really scary thought) that there was a gun safe and picked that one, knowing the gun wouldn't be a factor.

Slightly off topic, I want say that wherever you guys are, please respect your local police department. Yeah there are some dick cops, but most of them do their job and if it weren't for them things would be a lot worse. Yesterday there was an MLK day parade and some cops on horses were telling people they couldn't have their dogs there, the people didn't comply and the police had to be rough (nothing physical) and they have taken so much shit. I feel bad for them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What a tragedy.

I know how that kind of thing can really shake you up. It does change your perspective on things too.

I had the "fortune" of living in Fort Leavenworth, KS for 1 year of my life. When I looked out of my back door/windows, the only thing separating my house and the Federal Penitentiary (same 1 Vick was in) was a small barbwire fence and a big empty field. I'll never forget the first time a group of police came up banging on our back sliding glass door. In this case, the bad guys had just broken out of (or attempted to) the minimum security section. They were yelling at us to "Stay Inside, and Don't Come Out!". Always a comforting thing to hear. Road blocks out in the road,,, choppers flying everywhere. The first time was the worst. It happened at least 10 more times during a 1 year period. Just when I'd start to forget about it is when the next one would occur.

Hope things start to feel more normal for you soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
Thank you, super.

Here's the latest (just heard on local news). 5 guys were arrested, 4 teenagers and a 28 year old. Police say the house was random choosing, but saw through peeping windows (really scary thought) that there was a gun safe and picked that one, knowing the gun wouldn't be a factor.

Slightly off topic, I want say that wherever you guys are, please respect your local police department. Yeah there are some dick cops, but most of them do their job and if it weren't for them things would be a lot worse. Yesterday there was an MLK day parade and some cops on horses were telling people they couldn't have their dogs there, the people didn't comply and the police had to be rough (nothing physical) and they have taken so much shit. I feel bad for them.

Let me just say that I keep most of my guns in a rather large gun safe but have quick access to our personal protection piece. That would have been an unwise assumption by the punks were it my home.

A little ironic though isn't it? The rhetoric of "well you should always keep your guns in a safe to keep them out of the wrong hands". Yet these shit wads chose this house because the guns wouldn't be in the RIGHT hands. I still keep all my guns protected but ONLY from the wrong hands.

As to the statement about police. I totally agree. My main reasoning behind having our home personally protected is that while the police are great at a lot of things and work very hard, the one thing they really are not equipped to do is prevent someone from killing or wounding you or your family in a home invasion. They will almost always figure out who did it, but by then (as your neighbor found out - unfortunately) it is too late for the victim(s).

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
Thank you, super.

Let me just say that I keep most of my guns in a rather large gun safe but have quick access to our personal protection piece. That would have been an unwise assumption by the punks were it my home.

A little ironic though isn't it? The rhetoric of "well you should always keep your guns in a safe to keep them out of the wrong hands". Yet these shit wads chose this house because the guns wouldn't be in the RIGHT hands. I still keep all my guns protected but ONLY from the wrong hands.

As to the statement about police. I totally agree. My main reasoning behind having our home personally protected is that while the police are great at a lot of things and work very hard, the one thing they really are not equipped to do is prevent someone from killing or wounding you or your family in a home invasion. They will almost always figure out who did it, but by then (as your neighbor found out - unfortunately) it is too late for the victim(s).

I keep my firearms in a safe in my room, really easy to access. I had a finger scanner one, but the scanner wasn't that great, so I got one with a number pad, takes less time to open it actually. It wouldn't really be smart to try to rob my house, but I'm in a gated area so it's not easy either, plus my dog barks if people that he doesn't know gets close, giving me an early warning system if I needed... Either way if someone were to break into my house, they would be making a critical error unless I wasn't able to get to my safe. Since I'm usually upstairs doing work anyway, it's unlikely that I wouldn't be able to get to them. I hope that I never have to use them outside of the range though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
I hope that I never have to use them outside of the range though.

Ditto that.

Also, sounds like we have been through and use similar systems. Finger reader didn't work well for me either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have a bat. I'm not really afraid of guns in as much as I'm afraid of what I'd do if I had one. I'm not the most rational thinker when I'm cornered or angered, so.... yeah. I've only had to use it once (the bat), and I hope I never have to again. I'm even thinking I shouldn't have a bat either. Maybe I'll just get some mace or something. Or a tazer.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I have a lot of knives. I have throwing knives, homemade ballistic knives, k-bars...I actually collect them through. I spent a lot of time outdoors and feel that a knife can get you through any situation lol

Angry Ram

Selassie I said:
What a tragedy.

I know how that kind of thing can really shake you up. It does change your perspective on things too.

I had the "fortune" of living in Fort Leavenworth, KS for 1 year of my life. When I looked out of my back door/windows, the only thing separating my house and the Federal Penitentiary (same 1 Vick was in) was a small barbwire fence and a big empty field. I'll never forget the first time a group of police came up banging on our back sliding glass door. In this case, the bad guys had just broken out of (or attempted to) the minimum security section. They were yelling at us to "Stay Inside, and Don't Come Out!". Always a comforting thing to hear. Road blocks out in the road,,, choppers flying everywhere. The first time was the worst. It happened at least 10 more times during a 1 year period. Just when I'd start to forget about it is when the next one would occur.

Hope things start to feel more normal for you soon.

Thanks man. McAlester, OK is about 80 miles south of Tulsa and one of the state's largest prisons. Could never live there. It's still a little weird. We had somewhere to go tonight and when coming back I was a little paranoid.

X said:
I have a bat. I'm not really afraid of guns in as much as I'm afraid of what I'd do if I had one. I'm not the most rational thinker when I'm cornered or angered, so.... yeah. I've only had to use it once (the bat), and I hope I never have to again. I'm even thinking I shouldn't have a bat either. Maybe I'll just get some mace or something. Or a tazer.

I have an aluminum bat and a wood block, plus this huge wooden stick.

Anyway, I don't think a gun will be the answer. Our house is secured, alarmed, and every doorway has a heavy object or 2 in front of it. Coffee table, house plants, office chair, air dryer, w/e. Heck, even every window has something that will fall and alert us.

steferfootball

Starter
Took me a while to figure out that a chopper is not a motorcycle.

Hope you guys are alright.

Whereabouts in the world are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
superfan24 said:
Wow man glad you are ok too and that the guys are caught.
Anyone hear the recent story of a woman who killed a burglar with a shotgun and the other guy fled after the 1st one was shot? Gotta protect yourself at all times.
Yeah, she was 18, this happened on New Year's eve, she had a six month old baby and her husband died on Christmas day.

Two guys were attempting to break in. She called 911, put a bottle in the babies mouth, hid the baby, then asked if the operator if it was OK to shoot them if they got in. She had the phone crooked on her neck, a shotgun in her arms and a pistol dangling from her left hand supporting the shotgun. This was all caught on the 911 tape.

She killed the 1st one that came in and the other one fled and turned himself in the next day.

Sorry that happened so close to you, but it makes you appreciate life even more. Never know what can happen or to who.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Y'know me man. I am far from the guy who says that everyone should have a gun. If you choose to go that route, you have that right. As that rightful owner, you better take that right and be responsible. If you use a gun to do unwarranted harm, you should go down big time. Gotta admit, I have a bat in the corner too. A little t-ball bat that I think would be real quick to swing. Sorry, but if someone blasts through my door, swinging that bat will be my second choice. Rarely is that dickhead coming in without another dickhead backing him up. If I'm lucky, I tag the first one, if I'm horrendously lucky, I have another swing at the other dirt bag. Sorry, I'll take my chances with several rounds in the chamber without having to swing again.

Bye the way.... mace vs meth... I'm not taking that chance with my family.