Scariest Sci-Fi Movie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No order but ones that came to mind…

The Thing
A Quiet Place
Alien
The Terminator
Prometheus

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still say The Thing is the best horror movie of all time.

Scared the crap out of me too.

Event Horizon - I just could not understand anything that was going on so I was more confused than scared
Lots of mentions for 'The Thing'. I'm going to have to look it up.
Like this list, mine is very much the same:

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
2. The Thing
3. Alien
4. Aliens
5. Blade Runner

I know Blade Runner isn't at all a "horror" movie, but but it's sure effective at provoking a mood of dystopian dread.

Honorable mention:
Prometheus
The Fly
Altered States
Get Out
A Quiet Place

Haven't ever seen Event Horizon, but I'll check it out.
The Fly was pretty good and Goldboom nailed the acting. He should have gotten an award for best actor imitating an insect. I used to use the name Brundle Fly as my name in some video games.

A quiet place was pretty good too. It was more tension than scary. I'm sure if it really happened it would be terrifying. But, I don't see how humans wouldn't be able to eradicate those things.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Most of the greats have been mentioned. Obviously The Thing and Alien are sort of the pinnacle for sci fi horror. The Descent('05) was a good shout out. Underrated.

Some other decent Sci fi horror blends not mentioned. Some of these aren't really sci fi but aren't straight monster/villain/slasher movies either which i find boring. Sci fi thrillers i suppose is the correct term.

-Body Snatchers('93) Very underrated and i love the '79 film.
-Cabin in the Woods('11)
-Europa Report('13)
-Apollo 18('11)
-The Mist('07)
-Project Gemini('22)
-Reign of Fire('02)
-The Ritual('17)
-The Signal('14)
-Sunshine('07)
-Take Shelter('11)

I resisted watching the 2011 prequel to Carpenters The Thing for years because "Why?" right? And why put a female in the lead role? Well we know why. Pffft.

Anyway, IMO it's actually not bad. It has some great moments and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is quite good. I'd recommend it as long as you don't go in with unrealistic expectations.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Keep in mind there are 3 versions of The Thing: from 1951, 1982, and 2011.

My Dad (who was born in 1940) said the 1951 Thing was the scariest movie he ever saw (because he was 11 when he saw it).

As for the 2011 remake, I don't know much about it.

But we are all referring to the classic John Carpenter version from 1982. So you have to forgive the old school special effects of course. But if you can appreciate good acting and a tense paranoid thriller... then yea, the 1982 version is a great horror movie.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
The Thing is one of my favourite films and my favourite sci fi movie after the Star Wars trilogy (the originals).

I wouldn't call it a scary film (puffs chest out), but the elements of paranoia really bring out human emotions in the film which make it even better on the first viewing.

Whenever anyone mentions Alien I can't help but talk about The Thing and mention how much better it is.

10 Cloverfield Lane is also one to see for the feelings of claustrophobia and fear that the characters go through.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
10 Cloverfield Lane is also one to see for the feelings of claustrophobia and fear that the characters go through.
Another good call and performance by Winstead who likely got the part because of her similar lead role in The Thing prequel.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was 10 when my dad took me to see Alien in '79 at what was once one of the best theater's in the country, the original Cine Capri in Phoenix. 70mm projection, Dolby stereo on an 80 foot wide big screen that seated 800 people in a lavish old school decor. 16,500 sq ft in total. The friggin lobby felt like an event.

I was lucky enough to see alot of movies there as a kid before it was torn down in '94 including the Star Wars trilogy, but Alien fucked me up in a good way. Unforgettable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Highly recommend the 1982 version. Bad special effects, but honestly one of the scarier sci-fi horror flicks I've ever seen.

Also, if we're talking pure horror? Mirrors absolutely fucked me up so badly that I couldn't look at mirrors for a year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Highly recommend the 1982 version. Bad special effects, but honestly one of the scarier sci-fi horror flicks I've ever seen.

Also, if we're talking pure horror? Mirrors absolutely fucked me up so badly that I couldn't look at mirrors for a year.
Ok this is the second time I've seen someone make negative comments about the special effects for The Thing (82). They're not bad at all, in fact it's considered a gold standard in practical effects. It's one of the reasons the film is held in such high regard, same with The Fly.

The shift from practical to CG effects is one reason why a lot of the newer horror/sci-fi films aren't as good or are forgettable. Everything looks too "clean" and artificial. The Thing (2011) actually shot a lot of their scenes with practical effects but the producers or studio execs wanted CG and it looks like garbage.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Nothing wrong with the special effects of The Thing.
I still think they're great to this day and much preferred over CGI.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Event Horizon and Alien takes the cake for best Sci fi horror. Predator for best badass Sci fi. Other than that, I'm not too into Sci fi movies

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ok this is the second time I've seen someone make negative comments about the special effects for The Thing (82). They're not bad at all, in fact it's considered a gold standard in practical effects. It's one of the reasons the film is held in such high regard, same with The Fly.

The shift from practical to CG effects is one reason why a lot of the newer horror/sci-fi films aren't as good or are forgettable. Everything looks too "clean" and artificial. The Thing (2011) actually shot a lot of their scenes with practical effects but the producers or studio execs wanted CG and it looks like garbage.
Yep. Rob Bottin is a legend. His resume will blow minds.

Tano

Legend
Keep in mind there are 3 versions of The Thing: from 1951, 1982, and 2011.

My Dad (who was born in 1940) said the 1951 Thing was the scariest movie he ever saw (because he was 11 when he saw it).

As for the 2011 remake, I don't know much about it.

But we are all referring to the classic John Carpenter version from 1982. So you have to forgive the old school special effects of course. But if you can appreciate good acting and a tense paranoid thriller... then yea, the 1982 version is a great horror movie.
The effects in 1982 wasn't that bad for that time period