Saturday's playoff games were a real eye opener for me...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Clearly, I haven't been watching enough games that didn't involve the Rams.

Guess I've been living in a kind of Ram "player bubble" and have lost quite a bit of perspective as to what constitutes good play at multiple positions.

The first 2 playoff games on Saturday brought me back to a crashing reality.

Alex Smith demonstrated what a good (not great) QB can do for his O. Both Foles and Keenum fall far short of his mark.

Kelce reminded me of what a weapon a good TE can be while blocking, catching, and running after the catch. Cook is stealing money from Kroenke.

All 4 playoff teams have WR's that can run circles around anybody on our staff. A glaring weakness in our O.

That rookie Steeler kicker, Boswell, hit 4 FG's dead solid perfect in a dramatic and pressure filled playoff game in the rain. His kicks would have been good even if the goalposts were only 3 feet apart. His kickoffs were all deep and unreturnable. Did I mention he was a rookie? Looked like a sophomore in high school. Who needs GZ?

I hope and pray that S&F can upgrade all four of these positions this offseason.

While they're at it, we are not up to snuff at LDE or MLB, either. Not when compared to playoff caliber, anyway.

The kicker is an easy UDFA fix. QB, not so much.

Let's hope that the draft and FA can provide solutions. 'Cause right now we are at a distinct disadvantage vs even the lower seeded and wild card teams at 5-6 positions.

Sorry if this post steps on anybody's toes. But there are no sacred cows on this roster for me anymore.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Guess I've been living in a kind of Ram "player bubble" and have lost quite a bit of perspective as to what constitutes good play at multiple positions.

Alex Smith demonstrated what a good (not great) QB can do for his O. Both Foles and Keenum fall far short of his mark.

Kelce reminded me of what a weapon a good TE can be while blocking, catching, and running after the catch. Cook is stealing money from Kroenke.

All 4 playoff teams have WR's that can run circles around anybody on our staff. A glaring weakness in our O.

That rookie Steeler kicker, Boswell, hit 4 FG's dead solid perfect in a dramatic and pressure filled playoff game in the rain. His kicks would have been good even if the goalposts were only 3 feet apart. His kickoffs were all deep and unreturnable. Did I mention he was a rookie? Looked like a sophomore in high school. Who needs GZ?

I hope and pray that S&F can upgrade all four of these positions this offseason.

While they're at it, we are not up to snuff at LDE or MLB, either. Not when compared to playoff caliber, anyway.

Let's hope that the draft and FA can provide solutions. 'Cause right now we are at a distinct disadvantage vs even the lower seeded and wild card teams at 5-6 positions.

Sorry if this post steps on anybody's toes. But there are no sacred cows on this roster for me anymore.

My toes are fine. I think you could have included a few OL positions as well.

However watching defense, I think we are ok even with the MLB and the DEs underperforming. Not saying we shouldn't look for alternatives, just saying that with some decent offensive players it is good enough to win playoff games as is.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I saw the exact same things. Our defense, while pretty good, takes plays off at crucial times and our offense isn't good enough for the SEC much less for the NFC west!
Probably why I always see Mizzou players that would be an upgrade to what the Rams have.;)

Leuzer

Daniel Leu

You nailed it. 100% agree.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yet. It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Rams could beat everyone of them in a playoff game (with Keenum at QB).

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Great post. 100% agree.
I have also noticed the number of 4-5 round picks and UDFA that have that come in and start.
IMHO a lot of this comes down to coaching. Coaches are getting fired right and left for far less then what the Rams have endured yet Fisher stays.

I said from year one, the day the Rams veterans start leaving or the draft picks under Fisher start leaving then it's too late. Then the Rams will not only be needing to improve the team but they will be wasting picks on replacing players. Signing Foles to a long term deal before taking one snap and then watching him implode was the last straw for me. The other major mistake was drafting GRob. If he does not step it up next year then that wasted 1st round pick will kill the Rams. They could have had a Bortles, Watkins, Beckham, Mathews, or Mack. Bad decisions all around.
The Rams will be 8-8 at best next year IF they are lucky. I fully expect the SOS. I would not be surprised to see a bunch of the Rams FA walk this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I agree except where the defense is concerned. Every good defense could improve itself at a couple spots. The Rams D is playoff caliber. Our depth at DLine is insane and so is the productivity. Front seven is playoff caliber and so is the secondary.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Keep him on the roster at a higher rate of pay. Enos can afford it.
That's just, well nevermind we shouldn't use those kind of words towards other members. It's not so much he's stealing from the owner as he's taking cap space that would be better spent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wild card round for both AFC teams the visitor won the game due to more experience and talent at QB. Today's games in the NFC you have the same thing, with both visiting teams having the better QBs. Will it be the same today?

When you get into the playoffs there is certainly more to it than the QB. But when you have teams that are reasonable matchups but have a differential in QB talent/experience it's a big advantage.

This is why even if the Rams had squeaked into the playoffs it would not have mattered. I'd love to see it of course, but we'd be quickly eliminated. Fish needs to quit effin around and put some draft capital into the position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the Minn kicker, 3 in a row. GZ now way. He cannot be counted on to make a FG from any range for the win. Needs replaced.

Yeah man was just making the same observation to my friend, who is a Vikes fan. GZ would have shanked one of those three FGs.

Fish says he's gonna bring in competition, but it's gonna be more than that IMO. I think he drafts a kicker to replace him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree with OPs take on GZ

Do agree with the rest tho

I was a big GZ fan his first couple of years myself, LeftCoast.

But he's slipped these past 2 years. Badly this last year. To the point that it could be said that he might have cost us 2-3 wins.

After seeing that rookie Steeler kicker last night, I've come to believe that we can do better. And with an inexpensive UDFA, at that.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" league, I guess.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a big GZ fan his first couple of years myself, LeftCoast.

But he's slipped these past 2 years. Badly this last year. To the point that it could be said that he might have cost us 2-3 wins.

After seeing that rookie Steeler kicker last night, I've come to believe that we can do better. And with an inexpensive UDFA, at that.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" league, I guess.

The dude we need is that kicker from Florida State.

Debacled

Starter
Look at the Minn kicker, 3 in a row. GZ now way. He cannot be counted on to make a FG from any range for the win. Needs replaced.

Foot, meet mouth:whistle:

Not a personal shot at you, but the guy you just used as an example missed a kick shorter than the XPs this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So with 3 of 4 wildcard games complete the winning team in each one was the team with the more talented/veteran QB in spite of the fact all three were visiting teams.

Can the Skins pull it out? Or will Rodgers make it 4/4?

FrankenRam

Starter

Yeah, and that same Minny kicker missed a chip shot to win the game. That's a meaningless comparison.

I'm all for bringing in some competition in training camp, but kickers better than GZ don't grow on trees.