Sando Chat - Rams Q & A only

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Entire Transcript Here

[textarea]Roland (Winnipeg)
Rehash from last week, do the Rams have any remaining options to pursue that would be a better bet than giving up the pick and the contract for Wallace? They don't seem interested in keeping Lloyd and they would likely end up overpaying for any of the other remaing WRs that still would not be the #1 they really need. Plus, going into the draft with such a big need is just asking for a reach, especially if they target a WR in the first round when Blackmon is probably going to be gone already.

Mike Sando
They probably would not part with the sixth overall pick for Mike Wallace. If they did that, they would be taking on a huge contract and losing some of the value associated with the new rookie wage scale. I'd rather take the best player available at No. 6, get him signed on the relative cheap and then build the team that way. If they are going to acquire a veteran receiver, they could do so for a price lower than the sixth pick.[/textarea]
[textarea]Derek (St. Louis)
If the Rams sign Eric Winston, what does that mean for Jason Smith? Do we kick him to the curb or inside to guard? Would Saffold move to RT or would we keep him at LT?

Mike Sando
A contract for Winston would probably precipitate the end for Smith. I'm a little surprised we haven't heard something come down regarding Jason Smith. Perhaps there has already been a restructuring. I do not know. But the contract for Smith appears untenable. The Rams want to keep him, but not at that rate.[/textarea]
[textarea]Derek (St. Louis)
Say Blackmon and Richardson are gone at #6 when the Rams pick. Wouldn't it be tempting to pair up Claiborne with Finnegan? That would transform the Rams secondary into one of the top units in the league.

Mike Sando
The team needs playmakers for Sam Bradford at some point, right? That is the one thing in my mind as I look at the Rams' options. But if Justin Blackmon is not there, is there a playmaker? Pairing Finnegan with another top corner does have appeal, but helping Sam Bradford has to be the priority.[/textarea]
[textarea]Ryan F.
How long is it going to take the Rams to realize that Sam Bradford needs weapons....?

Mike Sando
They realize it, but they do not want to vastly overpay for a wide receiver.[/textarea]
[textarea]Massimo
I don't get the panic about Rams not overpaying for an average wr in FA. This team has needs everywhere, and will not win Super Bowl this year anyway. I hope Justin Blackmon is available at #6, but if not, we still get great player.

Mike Sando
That is absolutely the right attitude to have. It is the smart, big-picture view. But Sam Bradford does need help right now. Yesterday, actually. They have to make the Bradford investment pay off, and they cannot do that without getting weapons for him.[/textarea]