Samson Ebukam NFC Defensive player of the week.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6puk3542ylz11.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1065251452770238464

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He also hit Mahomes arm as he was throwing which lead to it coming up way short and Peters picking it off.

He created the INT.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Congrats to him.
Well deserved.

If he can continue playing with that intensity and with talib coming back we will look a lot better on defence.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:bow::nice:

The KC vs LA game worked to his favor. Ebukam plays much better in the passing game. The Seattle gm was totally different. The trade for Dante Fowler Jr. is taking LATE root in Wade's defense. Both OLB'er Ebukam & Fowler are bringing faster speed from the outside edges now. The two above are working well in Wade's front four DL passing scheme. In addition...DE John Franklin Myers is improving now with every new gm under his belt. These 3 are coming on..............:yess:

I expect rookie OLB'er Og Okoronkwo to show up & take Matt Longacre's relief role after the bye. Longacre no longer has enough quickness nor speed to be effective playing starting OLB'er especially in the passing game or when facing a nimble quick QB. That late 2017 back surgery put a major dent into Matt playing performance. ML will be a UFA in 3 months anyway. His future best playing post will be @ SS 43 DE post in a rotational role. It also appears that ML has put on a lot of lbs since last season around his mid section. ML still tackles very good IF he can get his hands on them.(y)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Awesome. Dude has been having his @$$ lit on fire here and electronic Ramsdom as a whole. Great to see him come out and show some growth in the scheme.

All of a sudden I look at Ebu, Fowler, and Obo and think to myself... "Maybe... Just maybe."

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I am cautiously optimistic about this “new” Ebu.

The Fowler addition seems to be helping him a great deal.

Yeah, he had an amazing game vs the Chiefs, but I need to see consistency in these remaining 5 games plus the playoffs before I’m fully convinced.

Like I said, I’m cautiously optimistic about both Fowler and Ebu, currently. But I hope that Les is scouting his brains out and is scheming trade opportunities while he waits for these two to convince us beyond a doubt that they deserve to be ‘19 starters.

It’s always team over players with me.

James Otto

Starter
I had to go back to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly, but this is Ebukam's 2nd season. It's fascinating that anybody on the internet would criticize him for his play. It usually takes pass rushers 2-3 seasons to get going, and this kid played at Eastern Washington, against lesser competition, and he looks ahead of schedule to me. He's been very close all season, and he's playing a little stiff and thinking too much. Once that is gone, he is going to be a very good player for us. You can see it already, just look closely.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
He’s had flashes, as well as lapses all season long. For a second year 4th rounder, he’s playing satisfactory. Consistency will come with experience.

Psycho_X

Legend
Like everyone has said, Fowler is going to at least make this defense dangerous in the takeaway, big play department. Teams can't block everyone and every game will have a player or two have big games. Whether its Ebu, Fowler himself, or anyone else not named AD since he takes care of himself. Bring back Talib who should help the secondary and our defense will hopefully improve just enough to make a few more stops every game. Barring injuries I still think our defense comes into its own just in time for the playoffs.

The mystery at the moment is what is wrong with Joyner and Barron. Barron was a tackling machine before even if he did get swallowed up on occasion. He's been almost non-existent it seems. Hoping he's just been working back into his old self since he was still struggling with offseason surgeries deep into the regular season. And Joyner, I don't know... the guy just seems lost. And he wasn't last season. He seemed to make plenty of plays obviously since we gave him a franchise tag. This year it's like we're playing a completely different defense and he has no idea what he's supposed to be doing. It's very odd.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Much deserved accolade. Win or lose--but it's more fun when you win--it's players like Ebukam that make this game fun to watch. Go Rams.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I had to go back to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly, but this is Ebukam's 2nd season. It's fascinating that anybody on the internet would criticize him for his play. It usually takes pass rushers 2-3 seasons to get going, and this kid played at Eastern Washington, against lesser competition, and he looks ahead of schedule to me. He's been very close all season, and he's playing a little stiff and thinking too much. Once that is gone, he is going to be a very good player for us. You can see it already, just look closely.

Ebu deserved some criticism, Otto.

He was given the starting position by none other than Wade Phillips. On a D from which much has been expected.

As to the 2nd season excuse? Some players don’t need 2 years to make their statement.

Gurley
Havenstein
Kupp
Brockers
AD
Peters
Talib
NRC
JJ

I wasn’t expecting Lawrence Taylor from Ebu, but I was expecting more than mediocrity prior to the Chiefs game.

Look, I want Ebu to excel. Hell, I want all Ram players to excel. But when they don’t, I’m not gonna look the other way.

Ram65

Legend
Ebukam has been close on a number of rushes in previous games. He made a nice INT and was in the right place for then scoop and score. Hope he keeps improving on the rush. He does have me shaking my head on some plays where is right there and somehow misses the tackle. The pressure at the end forcing the INT was a big play!

James Otto

Starter
Ebu deserved some criticism, Otto.

He was given the starting position by none other than Wade Phillips. On a D from which much has been expected.

As to the 2nd season excuse? Some players don’t need 2 years to make their statement.

Gurley
Havenstein
Kupp
Brockers
AD
Peters
Talib
NRC
JJ

I wasn’t expecting Lawrence Taylor from Ebu, but I was expecting more than mediocrity prior to the Chiefs game.

Look, I want Ebu to excel. Hell, I want all Ram players to excel. But when they don’t, I’m not gonna look the other way.

Ebukam was a 5th round draft pick from Eastern Washington. I'm seeing 1st round, 2nd round, 2nd round, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, and 1st round on that list of players. The exception is NRC, who was undrafted, and he was an average DB until his 4th year in the league.

Not alot of 5th round pass rushers that excel in the league, especially this early.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Ebukam was a 5th round draft pick from Eastern Washington. I'm seeing 1st round, 2nd round, 2nd round, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, and 1st round on that list of players. The exception is NRC, who was undrafted, and he was an average DB until his 4th year in the league.

Not alot of 5th round pass rushers that excel in the league, especially this early.
Opposing offenses don't make it easier because he was drafted lower though. If he's starting, then he needs to pay like a starter.

That being said, someone said it takes 2-3 years for pass rushers to get going. I keep hearing that about lots of positions. It's almost like rookies don't all come out of college ready to set the NFL on fire. But we all know that isn't true!

H.Birdman

UDFA
Name
Harvey
Aaron Donald has 2 strip sacks and creates havoc all game ... and it wasn't even the best defensive performance on his team! Love it

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
3 standouts from monday, Everett, Reynolds, and Ebukam are all in the 2nd season. All 3 also have played in limited roles their rookie season and only Ebu has played a prominent role this season. Reynolds now that Kupp is out will play a prominent role. Both Everette and Reyolds missed valuable time in preseason with injuries. Criticism is deserved but the degree or amount isn't, some fans were writing these 3 off as busts, and now look at them. It takes time.