Samson Ebukam: "I'm going to do my best to keep the seat warm" for Clay Matthews

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Samson Ebukam: "I'm going to do my best to keep the seat warm" for Clay Matthews

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams OLB Clay Matthewswill miss at least 4-6 weeks with a broken jaw, leaving big shoes to fill in the pass rush.

His expected replacement for the time being, fellow linebacker Samson Ebukam, embraces the challenge.

"I'm going to do my best to keep the seat warm for him, though, because I know what kind of an impact player that he is," Ebukam said. "Definitely try to do my best just to live up to his reputation."

Matthews, a six-time Pro Bowler and former First Team All-Pro selection in 10-plus NFL seasons, had accumulated a team-high six sacks, plus 19 total tackles and two forced fumbles prior to the freak accident of an injury against the Seahawks last week.

While that stature is built upon lots of experience, it's not like Ebukam is lacking any.

In two-plus seasons, he has appeared in 37 out of a possible 37 regular season games since being drafted by the Rams in 2017. Last year, he played in all 16 games, starting in 14 of them and posting a career-high 39 tackles and three sacks in the process."He’s played a lot of important snaps for us," Rams head coach Sean McVay said. "He’s a guy that we have a lot of confidence in."

"He’s played a lot of important snaps for us," Rams head coach Sean McVay said. "He’s a guy that we have a lot of confidence in."

While Ebukam has been in a reserve role this year, he had no complaints about playing behind Matthews.

"I mean, you just got to take it like it is," Ebukam said. "That's a future Hall of Famer that they put in front of you, so I'm not going to sit here and question it because he's been eating on the field. I just want to do that whenever I get the chance."

He's proven he has the ability to when those opportunities come his way.

Within that career-best season in 2018 game a career game for Ebukam. In the Rams' 54-51 win over the Chiefs, he returned an interception and a fumble for touchdowns.

However, much like Matthews' reputation, Ebukam wants his to stretch beyond just one game.

"Yeah, quite a lot," said Ebukam, when asked if fans bring that game up often when they run into him. "I understand why. In my mindset, that's last year and this year's new. Got to be able to do that on a regular basis."

His teammates are confident he's capable of doing so.

"You're not going to be able to place a guy like (Matthews), but Samson's played a lot of football," Rams safety Eric Weddle said. "We'll be fine. Next man up."

While he took advantage of the time off players and coaches had over the weekend, it's evident that what Matthews means to this defense isn't lost on Ebukam.

What's also evident is that he'll be ready.

"I just kind of relaxed, reset my mind and everything," Ebukam said. "Knowing that Clay's down and that my role is going to expand, I just leave everything up to God, man, you know? I'm just going to go out there, have fun and play like I always play, and everything will work out in the end I believe."

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I like the depth this team has established over the past couple of years. Samson will be fine.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Hopefully Ebukam has another breakout game like he did against the Chiefs last year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Wasn't there something a while back regarding Ebukam playing hurt much of last year? Presumably that issue is no longer there, and in the meantime, he's gotten to observe a future HOFer in front of him. Hopefully, those two factors can help Ebukam dull the pain of losing Clay for the next few weeks.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Always pulling for the local kids - Ebukam played HS ball in Portland. I live in the area (albeit, Washington). Go get 'em!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ebukam is best when used as a designated pass rusher. Ebukam has seen many series of snaps while Wade has been resting CL during the first five games. He has not played well.

The rest of his 34 D OLB'er backpack of skills & talents are mediocre at best. I would expect some very big 9er outside run gains ( Breida/ Coleman / Mostert) be made from Ebukam's edge this Sunday :cautious:. Ebukam is easily fooled, bites early, so he is caught out of position a lot. Plus the fact that (No Tack) Marcus Peters lines up to his right behind him equals big outside runs will be there all day.

Natrez Patrick might be the better used on early downs. It would have been lucky if we had a run stopper like OLB'er Justin Lawler ready to go this Sunday.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've been really impressed with Ebu's development in the run game. He's very strong. He was the reason we got that stop vs the Saints earlier this season, standing up his blocker and stuffing the play to that side.

But yeah he's going to need to step up on the rush. But if he doesn't there are other guys who might. I'm interested to see what Patrick and Obo can do too. Should be a much more varied edge rush now with a ton of subbing and we'll see if one of these guys can take advantage.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've been really impressed with Ebu's development in the run game. He's very strong. He was the reason we got that stop vs the Saints earlier this season, standing up his blocker and stuffing the play to that side.

But yeah he's going to need to step up on the rush. But if he doesn't there are other guys who might. I'm interested to see what Patrick and Obo can do too. Should be a much more varied edge rush now with a ton of subbing and we'll see if one of these guys can take advantage.
IMO the reason we have not seen Okoronkwo yet since he has been healthy .....is his run defense skills are not up to par.....while he looked good in pre season playing the 5 tech DL (Brocker's) post & the edge rusher (OLB'er)position in Wade 's 2-4-5 pass defense ...... @ this point the other parts of what it takes to play OLB'er in Wade's 34 D are not there YET!

Okoronkwo sure appeared to me ....to be much more very tough mean short small 5 tech DL'er than OLB'er.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ebukam is best when used as a designated pass rusher. Ebukam has seen many series of snaps while Wade has been resting CL during the first five games. He has not played well.

The rest of his 34 D OLB'er backpack of skills & talents are mediocre at best. I would expect some very big 9er outside run gains ( Breida/ Coleman / Mostert) be made from Ebukam's edge this Sunday :cautious:. Ebukam is easily fooled, bites early, so he is caught out of position a lot. Plus the fact that (No Tack) Marcus Peters lines up to his right behind him equals big outside runs will be there all day.

Natrez Patrick might be the better used on early downs. It would have been lucky if we had a run stopper like OLB'er Justin Lawler ready to go this Sunday.
Yeah I think lateral movement is Ebu's problem. He's a good athlete and all but he will definitely need to be aware of the contain because Jimmy G can get out there and run around if it isn't there.

Speaking of contain one guy who has been getting caught inside a lot is Fowler. He's been running a lot of stunts lately, but IMO that's been a bit of an issue. So hopefully the staff is working that with him.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

You and I see the same things

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:OT: I watched & re watched all four preseason games often this summer. Of all the OLB'er/ER's I observed the one Ram that had a full complete package of skills was Landis Durham. His skills were not flashy or leaping out @ you like ....but he was a well-rounded OLB'er in Wade scheme. Landis Durham could do it all.

Psycho_X

Legend
I’m hoping to see a good dose of Patrick this weekend with some Obo in passing situations. Wouldn’t be opposed to using Obo in place of Brockers on passing downs.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm looking forward to this game.

I bet SF is going to run, run, run, and run even on passing downs.

We will get to see if the Rams have enough muscle to stop them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll add this too with Ebu... He's an easy guy to root for. Team-first type, no drama, gets in there and does whatever is asked of him. Yeah. I would love to see him step up and become a force really pulling for him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope he is actually secretly thinking "I plan on making everyone say "Clay who?" and I'm keeping his damn seat..."

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Ebu needs to angle himself when setting the edge. Too many times we've seen opposing players stutter and then run around him.