Sammy Watkins Has Hip Surgery: Bad Luck or Injury Prone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN’s Field Yates talks about Sammy Watkins recent hip surgery. He had offseason surgery near his hip, according to sources, following a standout rookie year for the Bills. Watkins showed he could be a difference maker in the NFL, but he had a number of minor injuries last season for the Bills. Is it just bad luck or does he have durability issues?

Watch Watkins Report

Athos

Legend
I don't remember him really having injuries in college that kept him out.

But hip injuries are no joke, especially for a guy like Watkins who makes violent cuts when changing direction.

Anyone remember the play he got injured on?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sammy Watkins had offseason surgery near hip

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12611516/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills-had-offseason-surgery-hip

ESPN.com news services

Two Sides To Watkins
i
Sammy Watkins had a big first half of 2014, leading all rookies in receiving yards through Week 8. His stats took a dip in the second half of the season, however, as he played through injuries.

1st 8 GamesLast 8 Games
Recs3827
Yards590392
TDs51
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Watkins had the procedure done sometime before the Super Bowl for the injury that was suffered in a Week 13 win over theCleveland Browns, according to sources. He had three catches for a season-low 11 yards in that game, but played every offensive snap.

He played 72 of 80 snaps in the Bills' next contest, a Dec. 7 loss to theDenver Broncos, in which he had seven catches for 127 yards. Watkins was taken off the team's injury report the following week.

It's unclear if the procedure will affect Watkins' availability for voluntary offseason workouts, which begin April 6. The Bills will hold a voluntary veteran minicamp April 28-30 because they have a new head coach, Rex Ryan.

In his rookie season, Watkins proved to be Buffalo's top receiver, leading the team in targets (128), yards (982) and receiving touchdowns (six). He was also tied for second on the team in receptions (65). However after starting the season with five touchdown catches in his first eight games, he had just one in the second half of the season.

In addition to his hip injury, Watkins played through broken ribs that he suffered in the preseason and also missed practice time in early November with a groin injury, but played in all 16 of the team's games.

Buffalo remains unsettled at quarterback, the Bills addedMatt Casselto battleEJ Manuelto be the top quarterback following the retirement ofKyle Orton.

The Bills are without first- and fourth-round selections in the upcoming draft after dealing those picks to acquire Watkins in a draft-day trade last May.

Information from ESPN's Josina Anderson and ESPN.com Bills reporter Mike Rodak contributed to this report.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hip, ribs, groin... Played in all 16. Pretty tough SOB.

Alan

Legend
All I can say is I'm glad we didn't draft Clowney or Watkins and drafted GR and Donald instead.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injury in the rookie season? He's cursed! Will never amount to anything

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 hoping I'll see the light:
It's why I still trust in Snisher...
I don't think I'll ever take that leap of faith. :LOL:

Could have been our two guys out with knee injuries too.

I'm looking for little rays of encouragement that the horrible luck we've had with injures is over and the pendulum is now swinging the other way. (y) :LOL:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They better trade him to Cleveland while he is still worth something!