Sammy Watkins Dropped the Diva Attitude and Got His Career Back on Track in L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Very nice article.

I would love to see Watkins thrive as a Ram for years to come.

But here’s the thing. Potential can only take Watkins just so far. At some point, he’s gotta turn in some #1 WR type production. And do so consistently.

So far, he has disappointed.

He’s down to 3 games plus the playoffs to show us the money.

I’m not comfortable giving him a huge salary until I’ve seen huge production first.

If Watkins fails to impress during the remainder of this season, I favor looking for a cheaper FA elsewhere or rolling with Reynolds. Surely Snead can find another Woods type player out there?

I think he’s one of four receivers to have zero drops. If he had more targets, he’d have more production. But he’s blocking and putting more effort into each route now.

I’m very high on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think people are underestimating the difficulty of learning a NFL offense. Watkins has been forced to play catch-up since he got here (and that doesn't change during the season as we install new plays and packages each week). While things have looked great for us this year due to our amazing coaches, I think people forget that it typically takes teams a year to adjust to new schemes. It also takes young players around 1.5 years to adjust to pro football (especially pro schemes).

Watkins is a veteran, but he didn't arrive here until midway through the preseason. Most of our guys had all off-season to familiarize themselves with the offense. Patience is always key. I agree that we shouldn't overpay for Sammy, but I also think we shouldn't undervalue him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A full season and two off-seasons is the earliest one can legit have expectations. So the fact that we had realized production this season is amazing!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods comes in and is immediately hand in glove with Goff and this new O.

Kupp did the same as a ROOKIE.

Yet here we are making excuses for the vet Watkins as we approach the 14th game of the year.

I’ll say it again. Something’s not quite “right” about Watkins yet. And decision time for his extension is rapidly approaching.

S&M have gotta get this right, fellas. No more Tavon contract BS.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Anyone thinking Watkins is going to purt up "#1 type WR" numbers doesn't understand McVay's philosophy.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Woods comes in and is immediately hand in glove with Goff and this new O.

Kupp did the same as a ROOKIE.

Yet here we are making excuses for the vet Watkins as we approach the 14th game of the year.

I’ll say it again. Something’s not quite “right” about Watkins yet. And decision time for his extension is rapidly approaching.

S&M have gotta get this right, fellas. No more Tavon contract BS.
Woods and kupp had the whole off-season. Woods started working with Goff as soon as he was signed. Kupp worked with Goff while preparing for the draft. Plus, the story doesn't say his struggles are happening now. Goff was probably asking that question in the huddle when watkins was still learning early on.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods and kupp had the whole off-season. Woods started working with Goff as soon as he was signed. Kupp worked with Goff while preparing for the draft. Plus, the story doesn't say his struggles are happening now. Goff was probably asking that question in the huddle when watkins was still learning early on.

I rest my case, majorleagued.

You just offered excuses why the vet Watkins is underperforming vs Woods and Kupp.

After 4 PS games and 13 regular season games the delay in joining the team excuses are pretty weak.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

You just offered excuses why the vet Watkins is underperforming vs Woods and Kupp.

After 4 PS games and 13 regular season games the delay in joining the team excuses are pretty weak.
There is a difference between excuses and facts. They didn't just come right in and know the offense or click with Goff. They had the entire offseason to work on it. I think Goff and McVay are just less comfortable with watkins.

Last edited:

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Sammy is young, at 24, same age as Kupp. Perhaps staying with the Rams on a short 2-3 year deal, for a fair amount of money would be his best interest. Stay in the McVay system, learn his role, put up some big numbers and then hit FA at 27-28 again.

JRobinson

MiLB

Tell ya what bro, tell me how many targets he as opposed to the others. Then tell me how many drops of those targets he has with what percentage.

I’ll wait.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Tell ya what bro, tell me how many targets he as opposed to the others. Then tell me how many drops of those targets he has with what percentage.

I’ll wait.

When a receiver gets a ton of targets, it usually means he has earned the trust of the QB and the coaching staff.

I bet there’s a reason that Sammy gets fewer targets than Woods and Kupp.

JRobinson

MiLB
When a receiver gets a ton of targets, it usually means he has earned the trust of the QB and the coaching staff.

I bet there’s a reason that Sammy gets fewer targets than Woods and Kupp.

Yeah, because they make plays too. Just like Gurley out of the backfield, and Everett from the TE position. Heck, even Reynolds has gotten in on the action.

Pretty sure Watkins made a clear note of this during his last interview.

Not to mention he has a pure passer throwing him, and ALL weapons the ball, not a slouch like Tyrod Taylor who had Watkins and an unestablished Woods.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Everyone wants to bag in watkins for lower yardage but he has 7 rec TDs he's quietly out in the board