Sam Darnold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Assuming some of you Cali boys might be USC fans...

But I just felt like this dude was getting praised as the next best QB in the league earlier this year and it was baffling me. He was throwing more INT's than TD's and it's only gotten worse.

Not that he can't develop, but again it appeared to me yet another word of mouth syndrome- people starting repeating shit and all the sudden it's a fact.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

But I just felt like this dude was getting praised as the next best QB in the league earlier this year and it was baffling me. He was throwing more INT's than TD's and it's only gotten worse.

Not that he can't develop, but again it appeared to me yet another word of mouth syndrome- people starting repeating crap and all the sudden it's a fact.
Nobody should be worried about him. He will be fine. They just need to develop the offense around him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a rookie QB. And doin quite well considering that. Most of the rook QB class looks solid thus far, for that matter.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody should be worried about him. He will be fine. They just need to develop the offense around him.

Could be.. but all of the sudden he was the Next Joe Montana after he threw for 190 yards and 2 tds against Detroit.

Never saw a guy with such bad stat lines getting so much love.

Was perplexing.

Ellard80

Legend
He's a rookie QB. And doin quite well considering that. Most of the rook QB class looks solid thus far, for that matter.

he has a 68.8 Qb rating... like 25-30 pts below league average.

He is on pace for 25 interceptions or something.

Not saying he won't end up being good.. but thought people were getting way way ahead of themselves on him.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's had some solid outings. Last one was fugly, but again he's a rook so you're probably not going to win with a rook QB at the helm an entire season, unless he's got a loaded offense around him and top-notch gameplanning.

Probably the worst of the bunch was the Buffalo kid, think he's got the furthest to go.

Ellard80

Legend
He's had some solid outings. Last one was fugly, but again he's a rook so you're probably not going to win with a rook QB at the helm an entire season, unless he's got a loaded offense around him and top-notch gameplanning.

Probably the worst of the bunch was the Buffalo kid, think he's got the furthest to go.

Yeah Allen so far has just shown that he can run... the passing hasn't been so great.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there's a valid point that he has been treated with a lot less skepticism than rookie Goff. He's not playing that much better than rookie Goff.

Ellard80

Legend
I think there's a valid point that he has been treated with a lot less skepticism than rookie Goff. He's not playing that much better than rookie Goff.

Yeah this is what I mean - and I attribute it to people just repeating what they hear without actually following anything that Darnold is actually doing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I suspect Goff is precisely the reason the media has lain off this year's QB class tbh. That plus the way the running types they crown every year keep struggling with the second year load. ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not that he can't develop, but again it appeared to me yet another word of mouth syndrome- people starting repeating crap and all the sudden it's a fact.
Rookie QB's often struggle like he has. Personally I'd rather see a rookie work through how he's playing than to cruise through their rookie years only to later struggle like Mariota. I'm not going to call him a success but then again I'm not going to write him off yet either. He is also, like Goff, the youngest rookie of the class of QB's.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, in fairness to comparison to Goff, Darnold wasn’t drafted #1 overall, and he did open the season of Monday night football with a pretty good performance in a big win against Detroit.

But yeah, I think Darnold May actually have a worse coach than Goff had and nobody wants to risk throwing the bust label out there on a kid now after seeing what a real coach can do with JG

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Great splash start, but I think talk has leveled off a bit since then:

The Jets May Be Turning Sam Darnold Into Mark Sanchez
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/4/18062302/sam-darnold-new-york-jets-miami-dolphins

"He is young enough to be molded by the environment that surrounds him — which is why his ceiling is so high — but the issue here is that the environment is the Jets. Rather than Darnold changing the team culture, he might be enveloped by it."
-------------

View: https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1059193346881712129

View: https://twitter.com/SportsTalkJo3y/status/1059186049035976704

View: https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/1059193124357058561

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't understand why every single dickhead in the media says goff looked like a bust his rookie year. out of all the qbs ever drafted why was he the only one that wasn't allowed to be a rookie and make rookie mistakes?

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg

This is beyond stupid. He was the best quarterback USC has ever had by a mile-and-a-half. His first year as a starter he had a good enough O-line that it allowed him to routinely take over games. He was transcendent, and I hate words like "transcendent."

His second year a bunch of the O-linemen had graduated, the line faltered and Sam shockingly "regressed" a bit (mainly trying to do too much).

I'd suspect his struggles have more to do with the Jets than him. I was so sad when they drafted him, hopefully for his sake they'll surround him with some coaching and receivers this offseason so he can develop before he's ruined.