Sam Bradford's IR salary implications?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Now that the Rams have put Sam Bradford on the IR list can someone please explain how that effects his salary cap situation for the Rams for the next two seasons? Will the Rams be responsible for the entire current amount, will it be reduced or is there a good chance Bradford & the Rams will redo/restructure his current contract (I thought I read somewhere that a player's salary still counts against his team while he is on IR?)? As much as I like Sam Bradford and I sincerely hope he recovers from these ACL injuries it seems like his current salary could really have a negative affect on the Rams roster unless he does agree to restructure. I apologize if this has already been discussed but I don't remember seeing it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Now that the Rams have put Sam Bradford on the IR list can someone please explain how that effects his salary cap situation for the Rams for the next two seasons? Will the Rams be responsible for the entire current amount, will it be reduced or is there a good chance Bradford & the Rams will redo/restructure his current contract (I thought I read somewhere that a player's salary still counts against his team while he is on IR?)? As much as I like Sam Bradford and I sincerely hope he recovers from these ACL injuries it seems like his current salary could really have a negative affect on the Rams roster unless he does agree to restructure. I apologize if this has already been discussed but I don't remember seeing it.
They don't get any relief just because he is on IR. But I am not sure why you would think it hampers them THIS YEAR any more than if he were still active. They have always included his salary in their budget. As they have already accounted for it next year.

In many ways, the Rams are in much better shape moving forward from a salary cap standpoint then SF and Seattle. SF has already started to feel the impact of having to bump Kaepernick, and how it will impact other players. When Seattle gets around to having the absorb what promises to be a major increase in Wilson's contract, they will have to make concessions in other areas.

The Rams have already been dealing with that, and have worked around it for 5 years. So the impact to the other players just hasn't been felt like it will be in SF and Seattle.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
My understanding is this year is locked in due to the injury (in theory they could cut him - but have no savings THIS year). I do not think the injury affects next year - he can be cut in the off season. His cap hit next year based on his current contract is $16.5 mil or so, if he is cut it is $3.9 or so (left over bonus money that rolls into that year). I know the cap savings is around $12.5 mil plus/minus a bit. I agree with those that say there is no wya he sees the contract go into 2015. They either restructure him to a much lower number or cut him and resign him to a much lower number - assuming it looks like he could even play at the start of the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If his salary cap hit remains the same, but he doesnt occupy a roster spot, essentially there's an additional hit to the cap by the amount of the 53rd guy to make the team? Seems there should be some relief for guys on season ending IR no?

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They don't get any relief just because he is on IR. But I am not sure why you would think it hampers them THIS YEAR any more than if he were still active. They have always included his salary in their budget. As they have already accounted for it next year.

In many ways, the Rams are in much better shape moving forward from a salary cap standpoint then SF and Seattle. SF has already started to feel the impact of having to bump Kaepernick, and how it will impact other players. When Seattle gets around to having the absorb what promises to be a major increase in Wilson's contract, they will have to make concessions in other areas.

The Rams have already been dealing with that, and have worked around it for 5 years. So the impact to the other players just hasn't been felt like it will be in SF and Seattle.

Thanks Coach for your reply! I guess I was thinking IF the Rams decided that they did need to go outside to get another QB (FA, Trade, etc) that they might need some additional cap space to sign a quality QB either this season or during the offseason (I am guessing that it might be prudent for the Rams to add a quality QB to their roster unless they feel real good about Bradford returning to health before next season or if they feel comfortable with Hill, Davis or Gilbert for the next two seasons if Bradford is not ready next season). I am pretty optimistic that Hill will do a good job this season but at age 34 is he the answer if Bradford is out past this season? I guess I am greedy - I would like to see the Rams keep Sam Bradford and get some salary cap relief to help shore up their QB position. And, I do respect and appreciate your information and opinions (No Doubt - You know more about Football and the Rams situation that I do!)!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If his salary cap hit remains the same, but he doesnt occupy a roster spot, essentially there's an additional hit to the cap by the amount of the 53rd guy to make the team? Seems there should be some relief for guys on season ending IR no?

What's the number? The top amount of contracts that count towards the cap? I think it's like the top 30...or was it the top 50? Can't remember.... Well anyway, if the guy you bring in for him isn't in that number, he doesn't count towards the salary cap.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
What's the number? The top amount of contracts that count towards the cap? I think it's like the top 30...or was it the top 50? Can't remember.... Well anyway, if the guy you bring in for him isn't in that number, he doesn't count towards the salary cap.

All 53 count against the cap plus anyone on IR and those on the practice Squad.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That's only through the preseason. They only count the top 51 throughout the preseason. Once they move into the regular season. All 53 count. As well as practice squad and players on IR

Just to be clear if we cut Sam today, would he still get that $3.595m this year and next, or would he be due $3.595m*2 this year?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Nicely done and over the years I have come to appreciate guys like you with understanding of the cap.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Cutting him gives up a zero cost option for no reason.

I totally agree with you that's how it "should" play out, but Bradford's agent is a master of maintaining contract leverage and cashing in on that leverage, and with the Rams it's that value of the lost opportunity of simply cutting him (the "zero cost option for no reason" as you put it.) that will get all the air play. From the start Bradford's agent will make it clear he will not sign any new contract -- let alone a bonus-only deal -- and there will be stories leaked about what a shame it will be if the Rams just cut him and get nothing for their millions of dollars invested after so much bad luck (and now that he's "fully healthy and looking great in his workouts!").

So I think the counter-intuitive result is more likely -- if the Rams want to keep him, it might actually force the Rams to just keep him at the same contract for the final year. If there is any contract relief from Bradford's agent, it certainly would not be bonus only, there will be a price for that help -- some amount of base, maybe even small guarantee included. Otherwise, his agent will say "the Rams aren't living up to the final year of the contract despite that SB is healthy and ready to go", just walk and sign with another team.

Your scenario is awesome from the Rams viewpoint since a bonus-laden deal gets his cap figure down towards the $4mil minimum hit, but for those that want SB back, I don't think it should include the high hopes that keeping Bradford will also include big cap savings -- his agent just won't allow it. In the unlikely case SB overrules his agent and wants to help, it will be small help. I wouldn't count on keeping SB for anything less than $10mil to the cap and even that's a pipe dream, most likely it will simply cost the current $16,580mil cap hit for one more year of SB in 2015.

Sadly, it's the worst reality -- instead of a home town discount, his cap hit to stay with the Rams will be more than if he just was cut and signs with another team that doesn't have to worry about the baggage.

This is the same situation that we had with Wells this year, (anyone still unhappy that we didn't just cut him?).
Yes. I am still unhappy that Barnes/Jones did not develop/get healthy enough to make Wells expendable, that the Rams did not take a more proactive approach in the offseason to solve the center position, unhappy that Wells will probably miss most of the season with injury, and I don't think he's very good even when he plays. Realistically the Rams were stuck with making a play for Mack or drafting a center higher, so I accept Wells is the best we could do, but doesn't mean I'm happy about it!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Just to be clear if we cut Sam today, would he still get that $3.595m this year and next, or would he be due $3.595m*2 this year?
If I understand correctly he has already been paid the money....the cost of the payout was/is spread out for purposes of the salary cap of the NFL. Sam already has the money (most likely).

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
He already received that as part of the second year signing bonus. That money would be considered dead money.

If I understand correctly he has already been paid the money....the cost of the payout was/is spread out for purposes of the salary cap of the NFL. Sam already has the money (most likely).

He already received that as part of the second year signing bonus. That money would be considered dead money.

Yeah, I got that, it's just that I thought if you cut a player his dead money is accelerated into that year, I was just wondering a) if that's correct b) if Bradford being on IR, or us passing a certain point in the calendar changed that any?