Sam Bradford's best game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kohhwf

UDFA
I am not a Bradford supporter. I truly wish I could be excited as some of you are about the future of the Rams. I could not agree more that you have to build a team through the trenches like San Fran and Seattle. However both of those teams actually can score points on offense as they both ranked in the top 11 of points scored.

Is there a game Sam Bradford has played in the NFL which would lead someone to believe he has a chance to be a quality starting quarterback in the future? I do not mean this as an insult, but would like an honest discussion and would like to go back and watch games which people recommend.

I know he has had to deal with less than ideal circumstances, but if he is a good quarterback you would think there are a few outliers of games where he played very well.

PS - Just because you do not believe Sam is a good quarterback does not mean you are a Rams basher. I have supported this team for a long time through some really awful years. I want Bradford to do well, but I simply do not think he our answer. Please do not tell me to find another team.

jjab360

Legend
Probably the game against Carolina last year, the game he got hurt in. Sam was firing on all cylinders that day. I don't even know what the stats are because it's not important. The pass to Tavon that was called back, the dime to Quick in the corner of the endzone that was dropped, the long pass to Quick, a nice diving catch for Tavon between defenders, if Sam played like that every game he'd be a top 10 QB. And that was against one of the best 3 defenses in the league.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not a Bradford supporter. I truly wish I could be excited as some of you are about the future of the Rams. I could not agree more that you have to build a team through the trenches like San Fran and Seattle. However both of those teams actually can score points on offense as they both ranked in the top 11 of points scored.

Is there a game Sam Bradford has played in the NFL which would lead someone to believe he has a chance to be a quality starting quarterback in the future? I do not mean this as an insult, but would like an honest discussion and would like to go back and watch games which people recommend.

I know he has had to deal with less than ideal circumstances, but if he is a good quarterback you would think there are a few outliers of games where he played very well.

PS - Just because you do not believe Sam is a good quarterback does not mean you are a Rams basher. I have supported this team for a long time through some really awful years. I want Bradford to do well, but I simply do not think he our answer. Please do not tell me to find another team.

"Is there a game Sam Bradford has played in the NFL which would lead someone to believe he has a chance to be a quality starting quarterback in the future?"

Quite literally every single game Sam has played he has shown signs he can be a quality starting qb. And, imo he already is a quality starting qb..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"Is there a game Sam Bradford has played in the NFL which would lead someone to believe he has a chance to be a quality starting quarterback in the future?"

Quite literally every single game Sam has played he has shown signs he can be a quality starting qb. And, imo he already is a quality starting qb..

Agree.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I thought the Denver game his rookie year, the Washington game in '12 and the 3 game stretch last year were all good examples of how good he could be. I'm still waiting for him to have a WR, RB, O-line...any of the above actually stay healthy, much less productive for 16 games.

Speed

UDFA
I thought the Denver game his rookie year, the Washington game in '12 and the 3 game stretch last year were all good examples of how good he could be. I'm still waiting for him to have a WR, RB, O-line...any of the above actually stay healthy, much less productive for 16 games.
There have been plenty of games where he has shown he can be a quality starter. My question is can he be a difference maker. The reason why the Rams win. Also I think Sam's health is far more concerning than any of the other positions you mention. IMO Sam just needs to do his part. Stay on the field, make plays and elevate the players around him, & challenge the defense both mentally and physically. When he does those things the questions will go away.

jjab360

Legend

This should've been my answer, didn't read the whole OP.

jjab360

Legend
There have been plenty of games where he has shown he can be a quality starter. My question is can he be a difference maker. The reason why the Rams win. Also I think Sam's health is far more concerning than any of the other positions you mention. IMO Sam just needs to do his part. Stay on the field, make plays and elevate the players around him, & challenge the defense both mentally and physically. When he does those things the questions will go away.
Call me crazy but I don't think there's very many quality starters that aren't difference makers. And "elevate"? Really?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Call me crazy but I don't think there's very many quality starters that aren't difference makers. And "elevate"? Really?

The good ole elevation myth. Doesn't hold up at all when you start talking about football in any sort of rational sense.

Like why QBs that can 'elevate' their teams play choose not to do it in key situations like Peyton or Brady.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Probably the game against Carolina last year, the game he got hurt in. Sam was firing on all cylinders that day. I don't even know what the stats are because it's not important. The pass to Tavon that was called back, the dime to Quick in the corner of the endzone that was dropped, the long pass to Quick, a nice diving catch for Tavon between defenders, if Sam played like that every game he'd be a top 10 QB. And that was against one of the best 3 defenses in the league.
FOR sure the Carolina game

Speed

UDFA
The good ole elevation myth. Doesn't hold up at all when you start talking about football in any sort of rational sense.

Like why QBs that can 'elevate' their teams play choose not to do it in key situations like Peyton or Brady.

Well I definitely don't agree with that. Brees, Brady, P Manning are all QBs that elevate the talent around them. Big Ben is another... there are plenty. For example what you would like to see from Bradford is more plays where he makes something happen despite things not being perfect around him. Bradford has been no more than solid. Some might like that but I want more from him. Its time to stop making excuses for the guy and see him put this team on his back and lead them. The Rams went 7-9 with Kellen Clemens as their starting QB... and he didn't elevate anyone. This is not rocket science people should clearly understand what is meant by elevating talent around him. The best QBs make the offensive line and WRs even better. Sam has yet to display any of that. Rather he needs those things around him to be most effective. It would be nice to see him make things happen even when things aren't perfect for him. I will also note that many of these issues or questions may have been answered last year but we just don't know for sure because he got hurt again.

This is his 5th year coming up and we are still asking the same questions about him.

Its clear the Rams have the utmost confidence and Sam and these WRs. The WRs Quick, Givens, Bailey, Austin really need to grow up fast. I was looking at that Carolina game last week. Quick is such a specimen... so much potential. I would love to see him really come on this year... but his issues are mental. I really like Givens and his explosiveness. No WR other than Quick was hurt more by the injury to Bradford.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Is there a game Sam Bradford has played in the NFL which would lead someone to believe he has a chance to be a quality starting quarterback in the future?

Could you answer the same question in response to a question poised at who you do think of as a "quality starting QB"? There's too many ways to tear down (or build up...) any player. and I guess it's how you view that player. And from that extremely "low bar" statement.....there's nothing anyone could use to convince you otherwise. And I guess it stems from being "butt-hurt" over the fact that first round QBs weren't in play for the Rams last night. Oh well....from your view that sucks......

But let's investigate "your view" a bit deeper. Why does "your view" carry more weight than mine? Are you in some position where you get inside info into how Sam is viewed by our Front Office and Coaching staff? And if they see him as "your bench mark", why do you feel you have more knowledge than they do? And if you do, have that knowledge.....why aren't you getting paid for it as they are?

Because the truth is this. They know what they are doing. They've been there before and they understand things that you and I would never consider. (and before you take exception w/ that realize this isn't a "rah rah" little boys site)....... There are some extermely sharp individuals that know football here. And no one here sees themselves as "equals" to the professionals on the staff. Yes, we feel we might know just a bit more than the casual fan............. and even question the motives and manuevers of that same staff. but they are privy to info you and I can only dream of....and all we can do is 2nd guess their motivation for those movements.

Now your question appears to be motivated on your chance to "correct" some incorrect thought process by engaging one or more w/ the chance to have your points listened to. Been there, done that...... We aren't going to give you any sound bytes to further your rant against Sam. And probably aren't real interested to hear the same old 3.7 low points against him. We all know what we have and what we don't. Do we want him to do better? Yes. Will you pointing out the incosistancies you believe are prevalent make us feel better about the situation. No. We want the whole team to do better.

Bottom line. Sam Bradford is the QB of this team. I will support him because that. I will still cuss when he's involved w/ a bad play, whether it's his fault or not......I will still cheer when he's involved w/ good plays. And when the day comes that another is given his position, I will back him just as throughly. It's about the team. And even though, my voice is loud in support (and sometimes in disagreement.....) it's the team.....and it's players as a unit I support.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
There's one answer to your question about him being a quality starter. Well actually there's many, but here's the main one in my eyes.

He flat out does not give games away. In fact, most of the time you give him the ball with a chance to come back in the 4th he comes through.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well I definitely don't agree with that. Brees, Brady, P Manning are all QBs that elevate the talent around them. Big Ben is another... there are plenty.

Then perhaps you'll be the first to explain to me how these QBs lose? If they just have to elevate the talent around them then why have these teams either missed the playoffs or like Brady and Manning both recently lost Super Bowls in offensive flair outs?

Did they simply choose not to elevate the players around them that day?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Go back and watch the 49ers games two years ago, especially the second one. Lost in the GZ heroics is Sam carrying that offense to kicking range. Scrambling for first downs, extending plays, making great reads. Those last two minutes.

There are so many more examples, but if you want a quick fix there you go.

Speed

UDFA
Then perhaps you'll be the first to explain to me how these QBs lose? If they just have to elevate the talent around them then why have these teams either missed the playoffs or like Brady and Manning both recently lost Super Bowls in offensive flair outs?

Did they simply choose not to elevate the players around them that day?

Again why would this have to be explained to you? Honestly if I have to explain to you how QBs elevate teams and players around them then why the heck did the Rams draft Bradford #1 in 2010... because they thought he was cute? Of course not they drafted him number one because they believed he was a rare talent. If QBs don't elevate then the Rams should have kept Clemens

If QBs don't elevate then why did the Broncos go from potential playoff team to SB contenders with Manning. Brady played last year with a worst group of WRs than Clemens was throwing to... yet passed for over 4,300 yards and 25tds. You don't believe he elevated his offense? C'mon. Pick and choose your battles man and at least if your going to try and debate something like that be prepared to talk intelligently about it.

ausmurp

Starter
Go back and watch the 49ers games two years ago, especially the second one. Lost in the GZ heroics is Sam carrying that offense to kicking range. Scrambling for first downs, extending plays, making great reads. Those last two minutes.

There are so many more examples, but if you want a quick fix there you go.

And that pass to Amendola that was called back for the 'tripping' penalty that only seems to ever get called against the Rams. That pass won the game, then got called back, and Bradford drove us down regardless and we tied. But if the refs didn't screw us with that tripping call we win. And Bradford's pass was as good as a Manning/Brady bomb.

I think because of my hate for 49ers mostly, that play will always be in my memory.

Speed

UDFA
And that pass to Amendola that was called back for the 'tripping' penalty that only seems to ever get called against the Rams. That pass won the game, then got called back, and Bradford drove us down regardless and we tied. But if the refs didn't screw us with that tripping call we win. And Bradford's pass was as good as a Manning/Brady bomb.

I think because of my hate for 49ers mostly, that play will always be in my memory.

no doubt the game at SF in 2012 was probably his best game... crazy that the Rams didn't win it... and that is one of the few examples of where he put the offense on his back and in this case the "team" didn't get it done.

wrstdude

Rookie
Again why would this have to be explained to you? Honestly if I have to explain to you how QBs elevate teams and players around them then why the heck did the Rams draft Bradford #1 in 2010... because they thought he was cute? Of course not they drafted him number one because they believed he was a rare talent. If QBs don't elevate then the Rams should have kept Clemens

If QBs don't elevate then why did the Broncos go from potential playoff team to SB contenders with Manning. Brady played last year with a worst group of WRs than Clemens was throwing to... yet passed for over 4,300 yards and 25tds. You don't believe he elevated his offense? C'mon. Pick and choose your battles man and at least if your going to try and debate something like that be prepared to talk intelligently about it.
You're literally describing magic or powers not of this earth.

QBs cannot make their receivers run better routes or catch the ball better. They can't make OLmen block better. It is literally impossible.

What they can do is play better than someone else at the position. The resulting optical illusion is em that everyone else is playing better. Therefore the QB "elevated" them. Logic, physics & science, however, rule & dictate that this is not true. No matter how many times your favorite tv analyst utters the cliché.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

Illegal formation thanks to Brandon "stupid" Gibson. lol