Sam Bradford - Coach's Film - Jaguars

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Yamahopper said:
Nice work. Great analysis. I know it's hard to diagnose off the coaches film and it takes a lot of time. Good effort. Thanks.

On the dump off to Kendricks. Pettis looked open and he was for a second, but the CB had already turned his shoulders and was driving on him. That ball has to be thrown before Pettis makes his cut inside. It couldn't because the other receiver was clearing the underneath. And that's where the ball should have went. He had the defender shielded and the ball should have hit him in Stride as he headed downfield.

The CB fell down and was out of position to make a play on the ball if it was thrown when Pettis went into his break. Even if he hadn't fallen down, he wouldn't have made a play on it. When Pettis made his break, the CB had to continue up-field a few yards to gear down and break with him. That took him from inside his hip pocket to a couple yards over the top and on his outside hip. He can't make a play on the ball from that position.

That's the issue with Givens's out route. You can round breaks vs. zone coverage to get to the soft spot in the zone or if you win at the line against press coverage because you already have separation.

But you never round off a route when you have a CB in man coverage in your hip pocket. It's one of the worst sins you can commit as a WR.

You sink your hips, you plant your foot into the ground and you make a hard break. The vast majority of the time, if you do it correctly, it'll be enough for you to gain a yard or two of separation at minimum. Especially on a deep route with a hard break such as the out or dig. Because the defender is running so fast and often leveraged inside, it takes him a few yards to gear down and break with you which puts him to the outside of the WR and behind the WR. Which puts him into a position where he can't make a play on the ball. When you round it, you make it easy on him to sit on your hip, gain inside position and undercut the route.

Also, I don't see the opening that you do for the other WR.

On the dump to Austin in the flat...Wrong side of the field. The rec. topside has a step and shielded his defender, the ball has to be put in front of him for a hands catch because he's in stride and heading downfield.

Disagree. You have Tavon Austin in space at the first down marker on 3rd down. Take the easy conversion.

The other WR hadn't gained the separation needed to make that throw imo. We don't have a guy like Dez or Calvin or Fitz who you can take that sort of shot with. What likely would have happened is the CB would have hooked the WR's outside hip and reached around to knock the ball down. Then you're counting on a 50/50 call from the refs for PI. I'd take the sure thing there.

But I appreciate your thoughts here even if I disagree. You make some valid points and maybe that shot would have paid off.

Before the coaches film I had to sit in the upper deck and watch it as it happened. I've seen Warner and Bulger and even Bradford make those throws a 100 times. It's timing and ball placement to where the DB has to go thru the rec. to get the ball.
Both are huge windows to get the ball in there where only the rec can get it or knock it down. Separation isn't only 5 yards it can be as little as the defender behind the angle of the throw having to go thru the rec. or slow and reaccelerate to make a play. It's no more risky than a toss to the flat or a slant.

It's a timing offense. That's what Schotty said we will run. The ball comes out before the break or the rec. is open. It doesn't hope for CB's to fall down or blown coverages. It's practice and trust. A vertical game doesn't have to be mad bombs, just catches with a downfield slap.

But none of that goes to the point why the rec. are just running sideways or sitting down.
The players have the talent. The Rams have killed with both of those plays in the past. It's just a comfort issue that they will work through in time.

But I guess it goes to the play it Shumur safe or take the next step.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
Before the coaches film I had to sit in the upper deck and watch it as it happened. I've seen Warner and Bulger and even Bradford make those throws a 100 times. It's timing and ball placement to where the DB has to go thru the rec. to get the ball.
Both are huge windows to get the ball in there where only the rec can get it or knock it down. Separation isn't only 5 yards it can be as little as the defender behind the angle of the throw having to go thru the rec. or slow and reaccelerate to make a play. It's no more risky than a toss to the flat or a slant.

I agree. I just don't agree with the particular targets that you saw as the best options there.

It's a timing offense. That's what Schotty said we will run. The ball comes out before the break or the rec. is open. It doesn't hope for CB's to fall down or blown coverages. It's practice and trust. A vertical game doesn't have to be mad bombs, just catches with a downfield slap.

And as I just said, it doesn't have to hope for that. On that play in particular, the CB falling down is only relevant to the YAC. He wasn't in position to defend the play even if he had kept his feet. It's a throw that imo should have been made...and was the best option on that particular play.

But none of that goes to the point why the rec. are just running sideways or sitting down.

Receivers are taught to sit down against zone. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say running sideways. :idk:

Speed

UDFA
Rabid Ram said:
max said:
LesBaker said:
max said:
LesBaker said:
OnceARam said:
Nice work. I see a lot of clean pockets and a lot of open WR... Just say'in.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was looking at the photos.

Jrry thanks for the work.....

Yup. It's a natural reaction to think Sam should be doing a lot more with the way his supporting cast played.

I just get the impression that Sam is playing way too timidly.

It's gonna be a lot tougher sledding against Houston. They haven't given up more than 183 yds passing this year and they really get after the QB.

I'm nervous because this has been an issue in every system he's been in and since he came into the NFL. I'm wondering if this is just how he will play for his entire career. Bulger had the same issues with missing open guys too.

I know this will sound as an oversimplification but Rodney Harrison said this week that Bradford has all the tools to be elite. Then he said he doesn't know if Sam has the willpower to get the job done on the field.

He said Luck is a nice guy off the field as is Bradford, but Luck enforces his will on the field and Bradford doesn't.

Watching Sam for 4 years now, I am constantly urging him to go for the jugular. He teases, but just hasn't shown that killer attitude of the really good QBs.

When you look at the young QBs you see that Luck has it, so does Wilson, and RG3. And Geno looks like he has it too.

Will Bradford ever get there? I think at this point it looks doubtful. He should be showing a lot more than what he's shown so far this year.

I keep waiting for Sam to have that signature game where the light goes on but if I don't see it this year, I highly doubt he will be anything more than a bland middle of the pack QB.

So I'll watch him in Houston, and expect anything from a poor showing (with the usual explanations of why it wasn't all Sam's fault), to a decent showing that leaves something to be desired. That's my perception of what Sam Bradford is as a QB. A guy whose arm talent and smarts are better than almost every QB in the NFL, but who doesn't show that spark to put a scare in any defense.
Usual explanations for why it's not all Sam's fault? So it's Sam's fault balls get dropped or recievers run rounded or wrong routes or the oline misses assignments and that there's no run game. Give me a break. Sam can yell till his ears bleed. Or even show the players what they are doing wrong it doesn't mean they will fix it.

I'm with you max. I hate the fact that I just don't expect him to do anything to lift the team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Speed said:
I'm with you max. I hate the fact that I just don't expect him to do anything to lift the team.

Congrats and welcome aboard on your first post!

And yup, I'm still waiting for Sam to shock me and stick that dagger in a defense.

F. Mulder

Starter
There are 3 issues for me:

1) The guy (Bradford) can't catch his own passes. Sure every team has drops, it is part of the league, but Cripes, some of the drops have been brutal.

2) I have NO problem with check downs when it is the LAST resort. If things are falling apart then check down. If reads 1 and 2 are not there the fine. I want to see him push the ball down the field more. Be a little more reckless. Let these big body guys (Cook, Quick, Pettis) fight for more balls. Sometimes you get a PI which is the same as the completion. I realize it may result in INTs but sometimes you should force the issue more IMO.

3) I'm still waiting for a game where Bradford takes over, he puts the team on his shoulders and wins a game the Rams have no business winning. Don't get me wrong, he has had good games but just looking at this season the Az and Atl games he was trying to do some of his own problems (pick 6s vs Az and Atl). Let's hope Houston is one of those games!

moklerman

Warner-phile
max said:
Speed said:

And yup, I'm still waiting for Sam to shock me and stick that dagger in a defense.
It might be hard to remember all the way back to last Sunday but Bradford sealed the win with that 31 yarder to Pettis. Or are you talking about another type of dagger?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
F. Mulder said:
There are 3 issues for me:

1) The guy (Bradford) can't catch his own passes. Sure every team has drops, it is part of the league, but Cripes, some of the drops have been brutal.

2) I have NO problem with check downs when it is the LAST resort. If things are falling apart then check down. If reads 1 and 2 are not there the fine. I want to see him push the ball down the field more. Be a little more reckless. Let these big body guys (Cook, Quick, Pettis) fight for more balls. Sometimes you get a PI which is the same as the completion. I realize it may result in INTs but sometimes you should force the issue more IMO.

3) I'm still waiting for a game where Bradford takes over, he puts the team on his shoulders and wins a game the Rams have no business winning. Don't get me wrong, he has had good games but just looking at this season the Az and Atl games he was trying to do some of his own problems (pick 6s vs Az and Atl). Let's hope Houston is one of those games!

1) Agree that the drops are a problem now. They will get better with time so I don't see this as a long term issue.

2) I'm not looking for reckless. Troy Aikman wasn't reckless. He he had great anticipation and accuracy and he made stick throws on plays that were there for the taking. When he put the ball up to Irvin he knew that Irvin would come up with it, Troy had no doubt. Sam doesn't have that confidence with anyone except maybe Pettis now. So I'm just looking for Sam to make stick throws on plays that are there for the taking, and there are enough of them, and Sam is leaving them on the field.

3) Yup. Me too.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

It might be hard to remember all the way back to last Sunday but Bradford sealed the win with that 31 yarder to Pettis. Or are you talking about another type of dagger?

I'm talking about a dagger against a half way decent team, not a doormat team.

And Sam will have plenty of chances to do that the rest of the way this year. Let's see him stick in that dagger against:
Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

That's what I'm waiting for. So far no dice.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

Like he did in AZ? Or tried to do in Atlanta but our D couldn't make one more stop? Ya I didn't see that either :roll: really think we will see these kind of posts no matter what SB does. The Team Wins and the Team loses until you figure that out we will see posters with the same BS.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:

And Sam will have plenty of chances to do that the rest of the way this year. Let's see him stick in that dagger against:
Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

How about the dagger against Tampa Bay last year to make it 28-6?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
JIMERAMS said:
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

Like he did in AZ? Or tried to do in Atlanta but our D couldn't make one more stop? Ya I didn't see that either :roll: really think we will see these kind of posts no matter what SB does. The Team Wins and the Team loses until you figure that out we will see posters with the same BS.

These type of posters are supported by neutral analysts such as Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, Rodney Harrison, and many others. They have no reason to be critical of Sam outside of seeing him for what he has done on the field.

Do you think I like being critical of Sam? No one would be happier than me if somehow he makes that big step up that so many of us have been hoping for.

And defending him doesn't solve the problem. It's gonna be there until either Sam steps up or they get another QB.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jrry32 said:
max said:

Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

How about a dagger against a decent team?

As I said, he has 8 games remaining to show it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:
jrry32 said:
max said:

Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

Keep on moving the posts. First it was a half way decent team, not a doormat. So I offered up a 7-9 team(BTW, that Bucs team was "decent").

Now it's a decent team.

Ok, how about the TD and 2 point conversion against the Redskins that put us up 31-28 and won the game? The Redskins team that went to the playoffs.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
max said:
JIMERAMS said:
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

These type of posters are supported by neutral analysts such as Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, Rodney Harrison, and many others. They have no reason to be critical of Sam outside of seeing him for what he has done on the field.

Do you think I like being critical of Sam? No one would be happier than me if somehow he makes that big step up that so many of us have been hoping for.

And defending him doesn't solve the problem. It's gonna be there until either Sam steps up or they get another QB.

Defending him doesn't solve the problem? And bitching does? I guess the whiner games last year doesn't count either? Oh that's right our defense let them come back again. Oh and the lions game which our D couldn't hold them again. Ya it's SB for sure. :roll:

Fisher is the only one that makes a decision to get rid of our QB it doesn't matter what you or I think about him. He is not great IMO but he sure isn't as bad as you think he is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:

I don't think this really means much. You can find "neutral" analysts to support whatever opinion you have on Bradford.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
JIMERAMS said:
max said:
JIMERAMS said:
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

Defending him doesn't solve the problem? And bitching does? I guess the whiner games last year doesn't count either? Oh that's right our defense let them come back again. Oh and the lions game which our D couldn't hold them again. Ya it's SB for sure. :roll:

Fisher is the only one that makes a decision to get rid of our QB it doesn't matter what you or I think about him. He is not great IMO but he sure isn't as bad as you think he is.
Come on guys can we please quit tearing at eachothers throats here.
A debate about a player is one thing but to go after eachother is a whole other can of worms that I am tired of seeing show up here.

This post is not singling out just posters in this thread but all over the board. Debate the point not the person

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Rabid Ram said:
JIMERAMS said:
max said:
JIMERAMS said:
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

Come on guys can we please quit tearing at eachothers throats here.
A debate about a player is one thing but to go after eachother is a whole other can of worms that I am tired of seeing show up here.

This post is not singling out just posters in this thread but all over the board. Debate the point not the person

Sorry bro just tired of the SB doesn't do this doesn't do that crap. I apologize to everyone for getting a little heated on this subject.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
max said:
moklerman said:
max said:
Speed said:

Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

How about the drive in OT in the 10th quarter vs SF last year that set up the game winning FG? Was that not a dagger?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jrry32 said:
max said:
jrry32 said:
max said:

Houston
SF
Seattle (2 games)
NO
Tenn
Indy
Chicago

Keep on moving the posts. First it was a half way decent team, not a doormat. So I offered up a 7-9 team(BTW, that Bucs team was "decent").

Now it's a decent team.

Ok, how about the TD and 2 point conversion against the Redskins that put us up 31-28 and won the game? The Redskins team that went to the playoffs.

That was a good one. It was the 2nd game of the season last year and gave everyone renewed hope that Sam was gonna be ok after the disaster of 2011. But what happened after that? Sam was erratic all season long. And left us all expecting the big step up this year. It's been 19 games since that Skins game. And I'm still waiting. Aren't you?

moklerman

Warner-phile
What about the 80 yard TD to Amendola that got called back? That was the ultimate dagger but it got called back. But Bradford did everything you could ask.