Salaries, experience, performance....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jake Long....$9,250,000
Scott Wells...$4,287,000
Roger Saffold..$4,000,000
Davin Joseph..$1,750,000
Joe Barksdale..$645,000

$19,932,000 is the pay for what was deemed the starting line this year. Small sample size but the return on investment in terms of performance has been.....lets say poor.
Obviously, greatly improved play is needed.

Mike Person....$645,000
Tim Barnes....$570,000
Greg Robinson..$3,700,000
Salaries for our top backups.....

Does anyone really think a line of Robinson/Person/Barnes/Saffold/Barksdale would really perform worse than we say on Sunday??

It will be interesting to see what the thought process is going forward regarding the high paid guys on this line if play does not significantly improve. Over this season and into the summer two positions need to be addressed more than any other....is Robinson a long term NFL LT?....what is the long term plan at C?. The Rams have a lot of money invested in (in my opinion) the two most important O line positions....the returns have been inconsistent. From this week until the mid point of the season will really determine what the shape of the Rams line is going forward. Experienced guys that have multiple Pro Bowls on their resume like Long and Wells looks great on paper but they play so up and down it is maddening.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
$$ is not relevant at this point. On-field play is.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I hope they were making cap room to give our friend of RoD, Bazooka Joe, a raise.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$$ is not relevant at this point. On-field play is.
Money is always relevant. I guess I was trying to say perhaps it is time for the Rams to go in a totally different direction after this year in regards to the line.
In terms of value a guy like Barksdale gives them much more than Long or Wells....sort of apples and oranges I know, but, with the cap there are limited resources to be invested in the line. It has not performed up to snuff. Actually, I do expect them to improve as we move along. Just presents some interesting choices moving forward.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Biggest area of concern to me is the long term plan at center. Honestly, I really think the rest will come together over time this season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Money is always relevant. I guess I was trying to say perhaps it is time for the Rams to go in a totally different direction after this year in regards to the line.
In terms of value a guy like Barksdale gives them much more than Long or Wells....sort of apples and oranges I know, but, with the cap there are limited resources to be invested in the line. It has not performed up to snuff. Actually, I do expect them to improve as we move along. Just presents some interesting choices moving forward.
It seems a bit silly to me to want Wholesale changes to a Team, because of money, after The 1st regular season game!!

darth-vader-no_zpsdeb6db1e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

…..

Legend
week one is not the week to break down the offensive line performance. Not for this team. Its been years since I have seen a Ram team ready for opening week and the way Fisher is player friendly with practices and time off wont ever help the situation,

These guys will be much much better with time and a little separation from multiple quarterback changes.

fearsomefour

Legend
It seems a bit silly to me to want Wholesale changes to a Team, because of money, after The 1st regular season game!!View attachment 3046
I'm not saying I want anything.
Just saying IF the line continues to perform anywhere near what we saw Sunday the team will need to make choices.
As an aside, I too expect the line to improve. The ability to bounce back and get on the same page is one if the advantages of a vet line.

iced

Jake Long....$9,250,000
Scott Wells...$4,287,000
Roger Saffold..$4,000,000
Davin Joseph..$1,750,000
Joe Barksdale..$645,000

$19,932,000 is the pay for what was deemed the starting line this year. Small sample size but the return on investment in terms of performance has been.....lets say poor.
Obviously, greatly improved play is needed.

Mike Person....$645,000
Tim Barnes....$570,000
Greg Robinson..$3,700,000
Salaries for our top backups.....

Does anyone really think a line of Robinson/Person/Barnes/Saffold/Barksdale would really perform worse than we say on Sunday??

It will be interesting to see what the thought process is going forward regarding the high paid guys on this line if play does not significantly improve. Over this season and into the summer two positions need to be addressed more than any other....is Robinson a long term NFL LT?....what is the long term plan at C?. The Rams have a lot of money invested in (in my opinion) the two most important O line positions....the returns have been inconsistent. From this week until the mid point of the season will really determine what the shape of the Rams line is going forward. Experienced guys that have multiple Pro Bowls on their resume like Long and Wells looks great on paper but they play so up and down it is maddening.

Let me get this straight - you want the rookie, who's had his struggles adjusting to the nfl well documented, want him protect the qb's blindside? even though he showed he couldn't handle a stunt from the guard spot?

Hell no - i would not want him trying to block a de.. keep Long at LT, put saffold at RG,and robinson at LG...that line looks better than long,saffold,wells,joseph

fearsomefour

Legend
Let me get this straight - you want the rookie, who's had his struggles adjusting to the nfl well documented, want him protect the qb's blindside? even though he showed he couldn't handle a stunt from the guard spot?

Hell no - i would not want him trying to block a de.. keep Long at LT, put saffold at RG,and robinson at LG...that line looks better than long,saffold,wells,joseph
I obviously did a lousy job with this post....I was just discussing value vs pay, I don't "want" anything (except the line to play better). I was speaking more to the investment made as it relates to performance level and the approach after this year.

iced

I obviously did a lousy job with this post....I was just discussing value vs pay, I don't "want" anything (except the line to play better). I was speaking more to the investment made as it relates to performance level and the approach after this year.

are you talking the whole line or just certain positions? cause Long at LT is more valuable/efficient then robinson would be

fearsomefour

Legend
are you talking the whole line or just certain positions? cause Long at LT is more valuable/efficient then robinson would be
The line as a whole.
If the conversation is performance as it relates to pay then Long would have to be part of it based on his pay. I dont Robinson at LT at this point either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
To say the OL was a MAJOR disappointment in game one....serious understatement! But I posted a few days ago I'm not ready to go totally sour on them yet. Wells must get himself together here....Davin Joseph was just a waste last Sunday period. Barksdale is capable of a much better performance in the run game ....he had a terrible game in the run blocking IMO. I thought Jake Long performed the best of the five myself. Saffold had way too many issues for what he is. There is time for this OL to get its act together but I am not tolerate hold back my fire to many more game like last Sunday.

One thing I know is Greg Robinson is NOT ready for prime time!....so sad.

fearsomefour

Legend
To say the OL was a MAJOR disappointment in game one....serious understatement! But I posted a few days ago I'm not ready to go totally sour on them yet. Wells must get himself together here....Davin Joseph was just a waste last Sunday period. Barksdale is capable of a much better performance in the run game ....he had a terrible game in the run blocking IMO. I thought Jake Long performed the best of the five myself. Saffold had way too many issues for what he is. There is time for this OL to get its act together but I am not tolerate hold back my fire to many more game like last Sunday.

One thing I know is Greg Robinson is NOT ready for prime time!....so sad.
Yeah, I hear ya. So, is it lack of time on the field together or a bunch of individuals having issues? It is frustrating to see the names on our line (assuming Long and Wells are not just empty shells at this point) and see their performance....then watch other teams and their line performance. A good deal of this has to go on the coaches. It baffles me how veteran coaches had a team seemingly unprepared to play on Sunday. This seems to happen a couple of times a year with Fishers' teams here.
Our vaulted O line coach should catch some heat for this as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, I hear ya. So, is it lack of time on the field together or a bunch of individuals having issues? It is frustrating to see the names on our line (assuming Long and Wells are not just empty shells at this point) and see their performance....then watch other teams and their line performance. A good deal of this has to go on the coaches. It baffles me how veteran coaches had a team seemingly unprepared to play on Sunday. This seems to happen a couple of times a year with Fishers' teams here.
Our vaulted O line coach should catch some heat for this as well.

Its way too early to be able to see if Jake Long is close to what he was when he started game 16. Davin Joseph sure looked like the player that Bucs fired! Rodger Saffold was unhealthy early in camp with a stinger in the shoulder/neck area then when he got close he started his first pre season game & went out with a ankle just when he was getting close Saffold starts first game & once again he has another injury/stinger in the neck.....if I was using everything I have seen since the end of the 2010 season ... I feel convinced that Saffold can not be counted on to start & remain healthy on the field period. Time to move in a different direction @ first chance.....maybe he should be the new 6th OL'ers that way we get a chance keep him healthy & for him to earn his money . Greg Robinson (Saffold back up) presently is far from being ready to play @ this time. Scott Wells has failed completely to be worth what the Rams paid him for. Tim Barnes ...Wells back up has had a less than ideal 2014 early season thus far. Barnes has shown no improvement. Barrett Jones still remains a very big mystery we have no ideal whats there.

I have two positives in the OL. Mike Person has been the only real bright spot in OTA's/TC & pre season but @ best he is nothing more than a #6 to #7 reserve OL'er. The only Ram OL that I think has a long range Ram future is ORT Joe Barksdale. :bueller: