Saffold vs. Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who should start at RT?

• Barksdale

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Saffolds

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Eventually Saffold will come back from his injury, but should he be given back his starting job? I know a lot of coaches have the philosophy of "players don't lose their starting job b/c of an injury".

Barksdale is playing very good right now and is playing like a top 5-10 or better RT. Seems our line is gelling together quite well the last few games. I think the Panthers will be a good test for this line.

I think Barksdale deserves to be starting even after Saffold is cleared at this point, especially if he continues on with his recent play, but we shall see.

Thoughts?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Wow, tough call. I have had the same thoughts and was still unable to make a choice in the poll. I guess it's a good problem to have but, especially with a win this Sunday, I would be skeptical about interfering with the chemistry that seems to be developing within the OL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I vote Barksdale this week because he did play well last week so let's see if he can continue to gel with the rest of the OL. I don't like anyone losing a starting gig because of injury but let's let Barksdale prove us wrong before we insert a Saffold, fresh off an injury, into the mix on the road, out-doors, while we are on a two-game winning streak. Just smart thing to do from the view from my couch.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Has anyone heard if Saffold is healthy enough to play this week? I did see the instagram he sent out with Sunday's date but nothing other than that.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I picked Barksdale. This line is gelling quite nicely. You shouldn't interfere with that. Can you imagine if they put Warner on the bench after Green got healthy? Barksdale has played the same if not better now than Saffold was when he was healthy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as the OL and Barksdale play well, I'd say no. Unless Saffold can transition to LG.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
jrry32 said:
As long as the OL and Barksdale play well, I'd say no. Unless Saffold can transition to LG.

How pissed do you think he (read this as his agent) would be about that? I just don't see them attempting to teach him another position he has never played this year.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Oh and Barksdale is under contract next season so for long term success you go with Barksdale.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why put Saffold back at RT when everyone knows he's not going to be re-signed by the Rams? Let Barksdale continue to develop at the position. He may be our long term answer.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think Saffold has been pretty damn good when he's been in there. Joe has been very solid as well. It's nice knowing we have 2 guys that can play.

What's the stats on this btw? How many sacks, pressures given up, run grades, etc.? I'd imagine Joes run grade might be a little on the upswing the last 2 weeks because of Mr. Stacy.

Id like to hear Dr.'s thoughts on this as well.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Rams and Gators said:
If it's not broke don't fix it.

Oh and Barksdale is under contract next season so for long term success you go with Barksdale.

That's another thing. If we're talking long run, I think you obviously have to let Rodger go because of the injuries. He's playing with incentive though under the contract year. Let him and Joe battle it out, it will make them both preform better. I like the combo right now.

iced

whoever is playing better in practice...i voted saffold only because our line play was very good/great when he was in there,at least pass pro wise...wasn't bad run blocking

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lets see here who played a major part in that Texan game on one of the best DL'ers in the NFL? Barksdale & Harvey Dahl! Biggest win in an non home game in a long long time. Lets see here ..... :huhidk: lets repay ORT Joe Barksdale with an outstanding effort :nono: with a benching.

Rams have been in need of a Swing OT reserve since the release of Max Starks nearly three weeks ago. Rams went into the last two games without a reserve OT. If this decision was up to me dealing with this week against the Panthers.....

Saffold's durability is a concern, would dress and be activated since he went down in the second game on 9-15-2013 early in the 2nd quarter. Barksdale & Long will start with Saffold as the reserve swing OT. I may get Saffold some action but I sure would like to put some more time in distance away from that injury & desire more healing on that knee for at least one more week. Why rush it?

Do I need to remind my fellow ROD'mers that Saffold played in the first pre season game early in the game Saffold dislocated his left shoulder & missed the rest of that first game, & did not return healthy until the last pre season game & played in one quarter. I still remember that Saffold suffered another knee injury a grade-three MCL sprain to the same knee last season in game two just like this yr. The week before that in game one he was carted off the field with a neck injury & taken to the hospital. So two years in a roll in game 2 of 2012 & 2013 Saffold suffered a MCL sprain to the same knee????

Bottom line Rams should have a reserve swing OT dressed for all games. The last two games Fisher has gambled and went without one. Now with Saffold's return from injury why not just keep him in this reserve position somewhat safe & protected. Giving him time for that MCL to get stronger :gr: .....until circumstances mandate Saffold being press into full service again. Lets take some comfort :sure: in this new situation with a very good reserve swing OT ready? Why screw it up? :idk:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Barksdale because he's playing well and getting better. Saffold is gone after this year and we need a large sample size in Barksdale to see if we need another player. We may be fine, here.

FLramFAN

Rookie
If the Rams seriously think they are going to want to try to re-sign Saffold, then he's back in playing at RT as soon as he feels ready to go 100% and the team doctors clear him to play.
If the Rams are unsure about resigning Saffold, then they are more likely to keep him as the new swing tackle. There is some advantage to this as well for the Rams if they are considering re-signing Saffold and think he's still starting material.
Keeping him on the bench for an extended period of time allows them to see if Barksdale is the real deal and Barksdale likely could be signed to an extension next year at a far lower price than Saffold. Additionally, Saffold being on the bench will lower his value to other teams because they already know he's had several missed games due to injury and they wouldn't have any recent film on him to know if he's been held out because he's "damaged" or held out because Barksdales the better RT.

TexasRam

Legend
I wish they would consider moving Saffold to LG. Power run with Stacy down their throats. As it stands Williams and Smith are a weak link.

We are loading up with 3-4 TE looks, why not further beef that Oline up with Saffold inside.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
TexasRam said:
I wish they would consider moving Saffold to LG. Power run with Stacy down their throats. As it stands Williams and Smith are a weak link.

We are loading up with 3-4 TE looks, why not further beef that Oline up with Saffold inside.

I certainly agree with you TexasRam. :tu: Thus far in the six games I have watched & even goes back to the four pre season games too...Chris Williams has been the weak link of the five starters. Harvey got off to a very bad start too & had me wondering if he liked getting his posterior handed to me each week & into self abuse but seems like all this run blocking has gotten him all fired up and raising hell ...of course that's what he is best at.

Saffold, as I tried to explained above in my extended post, never even had much on field time playing Right OT or even completed the chore of right side stuff...he was having issues in TC & it was played down by all, then got his shoulder mangled in the first quarter of the first pre-seaon game .... then he returned for one quarter in the last pre-season game....then played just one complete game against the Cards.... fair performance but not on par with what we have seen from him when he was healthy when playing on the left side either..... then Saffold goes back out early in the 2nd game & hurt that same knee again.....so lets be straight here Saffold certainly has not nailed down the ORT post period....if any one thinks different please chime in here cause I would love to hear that position..... :neh:

One thing we do know is Rams do not have a complete package starting @ LEFT OG....nothing new here...another thing we know is Saffold is a bonified serious LEFT side pass & run blocker when healthy .... I have read a couple ROD'mers comments ..questioning this Saffold to LEFT OG post with something to the effect having to retrain Saffold on how to play LEFT side OG position??? :???:

I just do not see the merit in this train of thought...Saffold may be a serious injury prone OL'er but he is far far from being slow in the NFL intellect brain area. He has played left side forever he will play left side when he leaves the Ram organization after the season is over. Saffold know the OLG assignments as well as he knows the OLT assignments. Plug him in there & let him rock on...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Rodger Saffold is really good, but keep what's working. I don't think he's gonna be back next year anyway.