Saffold surgery is a success/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Saffold surgery is a success
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f87f31cf-952f-5f44-8ecf-b39638514b6a.html

Rams offensive guard Rodger Saffold should be healthy and ready to go in time for training camp following shoulder surgery last week.

So says Dr. Frank Cordasco, who performed the surgery Jan. 7 at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

“In late July, when the summer ball (training camp) really starts, he should be there with the team,” Cordasco told the Post-Dispatch.

So barring a setback, Saffold should be fine to play in the Rams’ preseason games.

Cordasco repaired a torn labrum in Saffold’s left shoulder and said the expected rehabilitation time is six months.

“I think he should be able to do some of the OTAs as long as there’s no contact,” Cordasco said, referring to the June practices known as organized team activities.

For the first month after surgery, it’s a matter of recovery and healing, Cordasco said. “The second month is motion,” he continued. “The third month is strength. And then months four through six, depending on the athlete, you get into more sport specific rehabilitation.”

Saffold had problems with the shoulder in 2013, but it was decided he could continue playing without surgery, wearing a brace, without causing any further damage in 2014. He had a couple of instances where he suffered shoulder dislocations during the season but was able to continue playing.

Even so, Cordasco said, “It was clear this wasn’t going to go away.”

Saffold said during the season that he contemplated having surgery on the shoulder after the ’13 season, but didn’t because of free agency. He originally agreed to terms with Oakland but the Raiders backed out, failing Saffold on their physical because of concerns about the shoulder.

After re-signing with the Rams, Saffold appeared in all 16 games this season and started every contest at either guard or tackle. It marked the first time he has played in all 16 contests since his rookie season in 2010.

The procedure was arthroscopic, making the rehab process easier than if it had been an open surgery. Cordasco said he did nothing with the rotator cuff itself.

“The rest of the joint surface is in good shape,” he said.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It will be nice to have him play with two good arms next season.
It's a good thing he didn't damage his other arm trying to pick up the slack.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
When's the last time we've read where surgery hasn't been a "success"? How he rehabs and ultimately plays is the real measure of success.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Saffold at 100% is a beast. Just him being healthy should be a huge boost to our line.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Bad thing about it is probably no weight lifting for 5 or 6 months so he wont get to start that till around training camp and will come in weaker than normal and way behind where he needs to be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So this means our RG, and LT are settled for 2015. Next.....!!!?!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Bad thing about it is probably no weight lifting for 5 or 6 months so he wont get to start that till around training camp and will come in weaker than normal and way behind where he needs to be.

The doc said the 3rd month is strength. So he'll really be working his strength back up for the 3 months or so before training camp. I don't see it being too much an issue, though I'm not a doctor.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was impressed with Saffold this past year. He dealt with an injury shoulder and played solidly for the most part. He stayed on the field minus a few short stretches. With this fixed hopefully the Saffold is always injured thing will go away. He dealt with it and got 16 games in. I would to see him back at 100% with a good C next to him.....pound the rock.

jap

Legend
I was impressed with Saffold this past year. He dealt with an injury shoulder and played solidly for the most part. He stayed on the field minus a few short stretches. With this fixed hopefully the Saffold is always injured thing will go away. He dealt with it and got 16 games in. I would to see him back at 100% with a good C next to him.....pound the rock.

Something has to be done about Big Jake's contract. but, if we can get him sign to a more salary cap-friendly deal, we can have both Jake and Beetlejuice as our bull elephant guards and an improved Gregzilla as our stud left tackle. We still need to get the center and right tackle spots settled.

fearsomefour

Legend
Something has to be done about Big Jake's contract. but, if we can get him sign to a more salary cap-friendly deal, we can have both Jake and Beetlejuice as our bull elephant guards and an improved Gregzilla as our stud left tackle. We still need to get the center and right tackle spots settled.
Yeah, Longs deal is an anchor. I know if they cut him they save about $7M....thats no brainer if its a clean break. What I don't know is how his injury status (being put on the injury list) effects his contract status and the ability of the team to release him or redo his deal. I would rather get a healthier, young guy at LG than Long. But, who knows, maybe that would work.
Two elephants and a Gregzilla....sounds good!!

fearsomefour

Legend
So this means our RG, and LT are settled for 2015. Next.....!!!?!
Exactly....baby steps I guess.
Barksdale is sort of the wild card here. If he can be resigned at a reasonable rate the team is 3/5 there. Resigning Person and Barnes makes sense to me as well to secure some of the depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow great news here guys. :DNot having to cut into that shoulder and repair bone or remove/grind bone is always a good indication of just plain good news! I have two on the same shoulder. One like Saffold's (by four small holes) & one the other way UGLY total slicing & dicing bone grinding event. Made me a wuss for about a month rehab was worse than a water boarding event.:cry:

Yes he will be a smaller weaker OG early but once he is fully healed I trust Rodger to not waste any time getting his power back to what it once was maybe even better!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Now I'm not a Dr. .... and I won't pretend to be ... but my son is ..... was a Ca. JUCO All State WR. He tore his labrum in between his Frosh and Soph. seasons in college and had to have it repaired. it basically ended his playing career, as they told him that although the strength would come back in about 6 mos ... NO contact for a YEAR!. He had his surgery done by one of the top ortho Dr's in northern ca. and was told that he would NOT be able to play football for a yr. ....so He is now onto his coaching career ...
But, my point is, how can the same surgery result in such different prognosis's?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Now I'm not a Dr. .... and I won't pretend to be ... but my son is ..... was a Ca. JUCO All State WR. He tore his labrum in between his Frosh and Soph. seasons in college and had to have it repaired. it basically ended his playing career, as they told him that although the strength would come back in about 6 mos ... NO contact for a YEAR!. He had his surgery done by one of the top ortho Dr's in northern ca. and was told that he would NOT be able to play football for a yr. ....so He is now onto his coaching career ...
But, my point is, how can the same surgery result in such different prognosis's?

Every recovery is different I guess. Just like people recover from ACLs differently? No idea.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Yeah, but hitting the weight room has never been a problem for Saffold.

As soon as he can; he'll put in the work.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I give this guy all kinds of respect. this is one BAMF. I knew he was in pain most of the season playing through it with a brace but this guy was having his shoulder dislocated multiple times all season?? damn that's crazy. he'll have a huge season next year at 100%

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It would be cool if they could restructure with Jake and put him at RT if Barksdale moves on, if Barksdale stays that is 4/5 of a punishing OL. Add a solid C and the Rams will be winning in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd like Barksdale back.

He's not been flawless, but NO tackles are particularly when you get to the RT. He can play better, but he's a healthy player who's played well.

Re sign. Please.