Saffold says his shoulder's fine: PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Saffold says his shoulder's fine
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_11e25103-7ba3-5264-a5c7-ca7e72f470d2.html

In case you were wondering, Rodger Saffold said his shoulder is fine. You know, the shoulder the Oakland Raiders don’t like.

“My shoulder feels great,” Saffold said Friday. “And if you (reporters) have any more questions, you guys can come into the weight room. I’ll be with Rock on Tuesday.”

That would be Rams strength coach Rock Gullickson. At a news conference Friday to formally announce his return to St. Louis, Saffold confirmed what agent Alan Herman had told the Post-Dispatch earlier this week.

Namely, that Saffold had bench-pressed 400 pounds recently, which would hardly seem possible for someone with a torn labrum — much less someone who needed immediate surgery as the Raiders claimed in nixing their agreed-upon five-year, $42.5 million deal with Saffold.

Even for an offensive lineman such as Saffold, a 400-pound bench press is no walk in the park.

“It was about a week and a half, two weeks ago,” he said, adding that 400 pounds isn’t even his max on the bench.

“I didn’t want to strain myself too bad,” he said. “You don’t want anything to happen in the weight room that’s unfortunate right when you’re about to sign with a new team. But yeah, I work hard all the time. I’ve been in here (lifting) in the offseason a bunch.”

Saffold also confirmed that a Raiders doctor told him he was fine after taking his physical in Oakland.

“Yes, but at the same time it went through a filter of many different places,” Saffold said. “Through the front office, through the trainers, through everybody. So exactly what happened, it doesn’t really matter anymore. Right now all that matters is going in, working, and continuing to work with Rock and the rest of the training staff to get me better for next season.”

Coach Jeff Fisher, who was on hand for Saffold’s news conference at Rams Park, was matter of fact in addressing the shoulder.

“We passed Rodger at the end of the season as far as the physical was concerned,,” Fisher said. “He’s been working here the entire offseason up to this point in the weight room, no issues.”

Saffold wasn’t the only Rams topic on another busy day in free agency.

The Rams continue to bring in free agents following visits by offensive guards Davin Joseph and Daryn Colledge on Thursday. Defensive lineman Antonio Smith (Houston) and wide receiver Kenny Britt (Tennessee) were due in this weekend for visits, but Smith has signed with Oakland.

The Rams were interested in using Smith as their third defensive tackle. Even with the connection to Fisher, bringing in Britt was surprising considering his off-field and injury issues, plus his underachieving career.

Meanwhile, three more Rams free agents found new jobs.

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan, serving as his own agent, brokered what is reported to be a two-year, $11 million deal with Miami. If that’s the case, the Rams could get most or all of the $3 million in guaranteed roster bonus money back, which would create even more salary cap room.

Offset language in Finnegan’s Rams contract will give the team up to the entire $3 million back if he signed with a new team, depending on contract details.

Offensive guard Shelley Smith has joined Finnegan in Miami, signing a two-year, $5.5 million deal with the Dolphins that includes $1.5 million in guaranteed money.

And tight end Mike McNeill, the former Kirkwood High star, has agree to a two-year deal with Carolina. McNeill was scheduled to be a restricted free agent, but the Rams in effect cut ties by not making a qualifying offer to him before the start of free agency.

Back to Saffold: Fisher said Saffold’s agents contacted the Rams little more than an hour after things fell apart in Oakland about the possibility of returning to St. Louis.

Even though the Rams were gracious after Saffold opted for Oakland, Saffold said it was “slightly embarrassing” calling to see if they were still interested after Oakland fell though.

“That just shows the goodwill of everyone in the front office,” Saffold said. “Coach Fish, Kevin Demoff, they got everything done so quickly. I was able to fly back the next day, and be able to get everything done and finally have this weight lifted up off my shoulders. Now that it’s time to go to work, it’s the best thing.”

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Wonder what Barrett Jones is benching these days

Dude lifts textbooks like you wouldn't believe ;)

"Off the field, he has earned a degree in accounting, graduating summa cum laude in August 2011 with a 4.0 grade point average. He graduated in December 2012 with his masters again maintaining a 4.0 GPA. In addition, he was honored as one of 11 members of the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Work "which honors football student-athletes for exemplary community service." Jones won the 2012 William V. Campbell Trophy, an award given by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame to college's football's "best and brightest.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Jones

Dude lifts textbooks like you wouldn't believe ;)

"Off the field, he has earned a degree in accounting, graduating summa cum laude in August 2011 with a 4.0 grade point average. He graduated in December 2012 with his masters again maintaining a 4.0 GPA. In addition, he was honored as one of 11 members of the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Work "which honors football student-athletes for exemplary community service." Jones won the 2012 William V. Campbell Trophy, an award given by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame to college's football's "best and brightest.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Jones

He was also the first football winner of the Academic All-America Team Member of the Year since Alex Smith in 2004-05.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Guy this dedicated just has to pan out for us, I'm sure hoping
train
Part of me wonders if his heart is really there for it though. This kid will have a bright future after football. I wonder if he wants to risk it by taking the knocks. Just a thought.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The only ones not saying it was fine were members of the OAK front office. Money they said they'd pay was the real issue.

jap

Legend
So does Beetlejuice get any "I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka!" moments with da Raiduhs this upcoming season for lying their asses off about his shoulder? :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

So does Beetlejuice get any "I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka!" moments with da Raiduhs this upcoming season for lying their asses off about his shoulder? :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

I wouldn't imagine so, it's not the player's fault that the team they play for has a liar as GM.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have a opinion that in the next five years we will be able to look back and claim that Barrett Jones was an outstanding third day draft selection by Snead....maybe one of his best!

jap

Legend
I have a opinion that in the next five years we will be able to look back and claim that Barrett Jones was an outstanding third day draft selection by Snead....maybe one of his best!

I remember the job Coach Bou did with Mark Settlestrom way back in 2006. I am looking for an even greater impact with Barrett.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm glad Saffoldis back but concerned by o-line depth. We just aren't healthy with Long and Wells yet, Smith Walked....hope Dahl comes back on a cheaper deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I remember the job Coach Bou did with Mark Settlestrom way back in 2006. I am looking for an even greater impact with Barrett.

http://www.footballdb.com/players/mark-setterstrom-settema01

Few Ram fans recall that late 2006 season marvel that was performed by Paul Boudreau in that OL! The magic key ingredient was Mark Setterstrom who was inserted into the interior of the OL and the run blocking power went off the Charts....Mark was a final round find. Boudreau lost to injury two all pros Orlando Pace & Adam Timmerman then center Andy McCollum. Todd Steussie moved from LG to OLT & the entire OL was injury riddled! It was even worse in 2007 as far as injury....Paul Boudreau was fired at the end of 2007o_O

Incognito & Setterstrom starting @ OG's & Brett Romberg @ center.

Ram_of_Old

Maybe the Raider rejection will put some fire into Saffold. He could come out with a renewed enthusiasm. The Raiders suck anyway...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the Raider rejection will put some fire into Saffold. He could come out with a renewed enthusiasm. The Raiders suck anyway...

From what I heard he also has plenty of incentive to stay healthy and perform as his contract is highly performance/health based

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I just hope he's careful with that weightlifting. Wasn't his 2011 injury due to a freak weightlifting accident?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No! You guys got it all wrong...

The Raiders FO guys know way more than the multiple doctors that checked out Saffold. Saffold benching 400 pounds a couple weeks ago just shows how high his tolerance for pain is.