Saffold and Stacy return to practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/stacy-saffold-return-to-practice/article_87f3e686-de3f-5aa6-9bb1-a1be77bacffe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... acffe.html</a>

After missing Wednesday’s practice to rest his sore ribs, running back Zac Stacy returned to the practice field Thursday on a limited basis.

Stacy indicated to reporters that sitting out Wednesday was more of a precautionary measure and said he felt good.

“Yes sir,” he said. “Just out here getting some great looks out at practice, working on techniques, and hopefully it'll carry over to the game.”

Stacy rushed for 78 yards in Sunday’s 34-20 victory over Jacksonville, the third-highest total for a Rams rookie since Steven Jackson was drafted in 2004. He is expected to start this coming Sunday in Houston.

Also returning for the Rams after a much longer absence was right tackle Rodger Saffold. Saffold has missed three games since suffering a medial collateral ligament injury to his left knee against Atlanta in Week 2.

Saffold obviously has some rust to knock off, and did his work with the scout team in practice Wednesday. He’s more likely to play in Carolina on Oct. 20 than against the Texans.

“It’s cool to be out there and go with the guys again,” Saffold said. “I know I’ve got to shake a bunch of rust off, get back into the groove.”

Saffold, Stacy, and defensive end Williams Hayes (knee) were listed as limited on the Rams’ official injury report. Defensive tackle Matt Conrath (concussion) was full participation. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) did not practice Thursday and is on course to miss his second consecutive game.

Meanwhile in Houston, the Texans had 20 players _ or nearly 40 percent of the roster _ on Thursday’s injury report. Of those 20, 10 either didn’t practice or had limited participation. Among those not practicing were star wide receiver Andre Johnson (shin) and wide receiver/return man Keshawn Martin (shoulder). Johnson’s availability against the Rams may be a game-time decision.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The reason I didn't like the Stacy pick is because he was always nicked up in college.

Just saying.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I really want to see how Stacy does against the Texans. While I like the job Barksdale has been doing, I was hoping Saffold would be available in a backup role.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yamahopper said:
While I like the job Barksdale has been doing, I was hoping Saffold would be available in a backup role.

It does look like Saffold be available for that back up role against the Panthers. That will be an interesting watch on what Fisher does with Saffold & Barksdale situation. Guess the standard line is once Saffold is ready he returns to the ORT post. With Barksdale going to the bench. I have always been told that the best five OL'ers will start ....well then if that's the case Barksdale should continue to start. Lets the versatile Saffold move inside to the OLG post so your best five Ol'er can start.

If you bench Barksdale and leave Chris Williams starting then that old standard line of the best five start......won't fly. Keeping Barksdale rolling getting better & more experience with each snap puts this team in a much better position in the future.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
Yamahopper said:
While I like the job Barksdale has been doing, I was hoping Saffold would be available in a backup role.

It does look like Saffold be available for that back up role against the Panthers. That will be an interesting watch on what Fisher does with Saffold & Barksdale situation. Guess the standard line is once Saffold is ready he returns to the ORT post. With Barksdale going to the bench. I have always been told that the best five OL'ers will start ....well then if that's the case Barksdale should continue to start. Lets the versatile Saffold move inside to the OLG post so your best five Ol'er can start.

If you bench Barksdale and leave Chris Williams starting then that old standard line of the best five start......won't fly. Keeping Barksdale rolling getting better & more experience with each snap puts this team in a much better position in the future.

I've been mulling the Barksdale/ Saffold dilemma for a few days. I like how Barks plays, the more he plays the better he gets. But I still think Saffold is the better player right now. I always thought Saffold would have been a better G than a T. But I would like to have him practice at guard for a couple weeks before playing in a game. I really have seen all of Clemens I need too.

The flip side is, the more I play Saffold sooner he gets hurt because you know he will. So maybe we would be better with him as the swing tackle to limit his snaps.

Next year they have to fix this line. It's not that bad but, Dahl and Saffold will be gone. Wells isn't getting any younger or better, but we have options there. The failure of this team the last few years to develop lower round picks as guards is mind boggling. Maybe Jones or Barnes will change that dynamic.
Barks would be fine at RT. If he stays at RT then we need a swing tackle and they can be harder to find than someone to just play RT.

Perfect world this, we get a tackle early in draft to play RT with the upside to play LT. Sign a RG in FA and draft a LG mid rounds to start next to Long.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
The reason I didn't like the Stacy pick is because he was always nicked up in college.

Just saying.

Seems a little early to be "just saying"...especially when said rookie 5th round pick averaged 5.6 yards per carry in his first real action on a team that was averaging 2.6 yards per carry prior to that.

It's the 5th round...I'll take a chance on a potential durability problem if I can get a potential starting caliber player.

We'll see how Stacy does against Houston. I think he'll have a solid game if given the chance. Just has much better vision, patience and lane recognition than the other HBs on our roster. Plus he can actually push the pile and doesn't tend to go down immediately on first contact. It's what made him so effective on an underwhelming at best offensive unit at Vandy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yamahopper said:
I've been mulling the Barksdale/ Saffold dilemma for a few days. I like how Barks plays, the more he plays the better he gets.
Yes I believe most of us can agree with this. How important is it to place Barksdale in a position so he can grow @ a fast rate? We sure need to get our possible future starting ORT ready or at least know if he can continue to get better against those speed second move rushers.

But I still think Saffold is the better player right now.
If Saffold's knee is completely healed and strong then yes Saffold is a much better pass blocker and just as good run blocker as Barksdale. The question is "Is that same knee that he hurt last yr and the same knee he had problems with this year" really fully healed & strong enough for a high performance conditions? Seems to me the Rams currently do not have a active swing OT on the roster if they do then someone needs to tell me who this OL is? So if I am correct then Saffold can fill the swing OT role all the time letting his knee get stronger & healed.

I always thought Saffold would have been a better G than a T. But I would like to have him practice at guard for a couple weeks before playing in a game.
Yes we agree on this too. NFL teams seem to find very good starting OG's everywhere with the exceptions of the Rams who for close to a decade have had issues in this OL area. I have always thought that Saffold has the talent to be a good left OT a good ORT a very good ORG and a outstanding left OG. The money is usually @ the OT positions. Saffold will find a team willing to pay him millions.

The flip side is, the more I play Saffold sooner he gets hurt because you know he will. So maybe we would be better with him as the swing tackle to limit his snaps.Yes.... Saffold is a walking future injury. Mix that with the fact that Fisher currently does not have a valid proven capable SWING OT on his roster. Looks like the perfect place to insert the damage & injury prone Saffold.

Next year they have to fix this line.
I was under the impression that both Snead & Fisher have already completed that goal & objective have they not?? They are done with that chore. :plzstop: :ahahah:

Late last season the Rams the Rams " Big Nine OL'ers " was :
2012__________________2013____
OLT-Saffold_____________long
OLG-Turner_____________Williams
OC-Wells_______________SAME
ORG-Smith_____________Dahl
ORT-Richardson_________Saffold
Swing OT-Hunter________Barksdale
OG reserve-Williams______Smith
OC reserve-Barnes_______SAME
OL-Barksdale___________B.Jones
So from I can see they made a bunch of changes in the Ram OL in a short period of time. Only two out of the nine OL'ers (Wells & Tim Barnes) remain at the same spots. Is this new 2013 OL that much better than late last yrs OL?

Dahl and Saffold will be gone.
Of the current 2013 Ram OL only 2 OL'ers will be UFA's (OT Saffold & OT/OG Williams), I do expect these two to be elsewhere. The Ram Org. has 11 OL'ers on this 53 player roster! Harvey Dahl gone?? well Harvey is a Boudreau find in Atlanta & a Boudreau type. Harvey took a major pay cut a few months back this season to help out the Ram cap issue ... so I am not so sure on Dahl being gone in 2014.

Wells isn't getting any younger or better, but we have options there.
The Cutting/releasing of veteran Wells is certainly possible. Wells is due 6.5 mil in 2014 but he has no guaranteed $$ on the books or dead money like this year.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/scott-wells/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/scott-wells/</a>

Looks like the Rams have paid around 16 mil for Wells services in 12 & 13 seasons. The much younger, bigger & cheaper 2014 ERFA center Tim Barnes would seem to be a better deal than the expensive Wells.

The failure of this team the last few years to develop lower round picks as guards is mind boggling.
Do you mean these 14 Ram draft picks over the last decade...Rok Watkins, Roger Saffold, Jason Smith, John Greco, Roy Schuening, Dustin Fry, Ken Shankleford, Mark Settertrom, Tony Palmer, Alex Barren, Rich Incognito, Claude Terrell, Larry Turner & Scott Tercero.

Maybe Jones or Barnes will change that dynamic.
I sure think that both those Ol'ers (Barksdale, Barnes & Jones)will help change that deplorable Ram poor record of non hits of drafted Ol'ers & luck with FA's. FA Tim Barnes has been around the Ram org now since 2011.

Barks would be fine at RT. If he stays at RT then we need a swing tackle and they can be harder to find than someone to just play RT. Perfect world this, we get a tackle early in draft to play RT with the upside to play LT.
I have seen where some ROD'mers think a OT is not a need in the draft in 2014 if we have JL & JB starting @ OT but that's just not sound thinking in my book. Outside the starting five the Swing OT is very important. Rams have been forced to carry a bunch of 11 Ol'ers on the roster since the first injury to Saffold took place. Ram have 3 young Olers like Washington, Persons & Jones who played OT in college but none of them would seem to be future bonified NFL swing OT material.

Sign a RG in FA and draft a LG mid rounds to start next to Long.
If it were my decision I would offer contracts to RFA Shelley Smith & ERFA Tim Barnes. Then when the draft arrived I would be planing to select a swing OT with one of my first round selections & a OG with one of my second day draft selections & see how things go with the 2014 OL from there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sorry but i have zero confidence in Saffold finishing more than 2 or 3 straight games in a row from this point on.
I look forward to Barksdale getting better as his role increases into the "starter mentality."

I wish Rodger all the best. Nice talent,quality person but too fragile for the NFL game. It happens.