Safety Darian Stewart still NOT practicing Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like last yrs early TC & pre season injuries to Safety Darian Stewart has been an ongoing sage this season too. Back before the draft I was very concerned & most of Ram fans were very involved in forums discussing the Rams big safety issues. I was somewhat at ease because of having Stewart available. I was sure off on that Stewart has been anything but available & when he did make a cameo appearance his missed tacks were something I sure did not want to see. My hope should have been placed on McLeod not Stewart.

Just finished re-watching the Denver game where I got an excellent chance to observe Safety Darian Stewart's back up Rodney McLeod Jr. I know he is small & does not bring the hit with his tacks but overall he is far more complete safety in my mind than the veteran Stewart is now. I think with him starting Rodney McLeod is what makes our top five secondary players (Finnegan- JJ- TJ- McDonald & Jr.) complete.

Psycho_X

Legend
Re: Safety Darian Stewart still practicing Monday

Your title is confusing. Did you forget to put a "not" before practicing or something lol?

But agreed with wanting to move on at this point. Stewart has been unable to stay healthy and I think lost his chance with this team for making the 53. I think he is a cut after the Ravens game. He'll either get picked up by another team and have a chance or maybe we bring him back later after he can prove he's healthy for a change. But as of right now we can't count on him and he's not competing so I'm ok with what I've seen from the other safeties to be fine with that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

BonifayRam said:
Looks like last yrs early TC & pre season injuries to Safety Darian Stewart has been an ongoing sage this season too. Back before the draft I was very concerned & most of Ram fans were very involved in forums discussing the Rams big safety issues. I was somewhat at ease because of having Stewart available. I was sure off on that Stewart has been anything but available & when he did make a cameo appearance his missed tacks were something I sure did not want to see. My hope should have been placed on McLeod not Stewart.

Just finished re-watching the Denver game where I got an excellent chance to observe Safety Darian Stewart's back up Rodney McLeod Jr. I know he is small & does not bring the hit with his tacks but overall he is far more complete safety in my mind than the veteran Stewart is now. I think with him starting Rodney McLeod is what makes our top five secondary players (Finnegan- JJ- TJ- McDonald & Jr.) complete.

McLeod has demonstrated the best instincts since he arrived here last year. The ONLY thing that could be perceived as a "shortcoming" (no pun intended), is his lack of size.

His diagnosing plays AS they are happening, is the best of all the Safeties, and while he isn't a thumper, he IS a good tackler.

Both he and Cody Davis, IMO, have shown more than Stewart in camp this year. But much like Dahl before him, Stewart was the incumbent, and it seems likes Fisher's MO. Give the vet the benefit of the doubt, and unless and until someone displaces him, he keeps his job. In Stewarts case, Fisher has stated that "injuries don't USUALLY cause a guy to lose his job, but they will continue to evaluate this position".

Reading between the lines, that means to me that this is McLeod's job moving forward.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psycho_X said:
Your title is confusing. Did you forget to put a "not" before practicing or something lol?

But agreed with wanting to move on at this point. Stewart has been unable to stay healthy and I think lost his chance with this team for making the 53. I think he is a cut after the Ravens game. He'll either get picked up by another team and have a chance or maybe we bring him back later after he can prove he's healthy for a change. But as of right now we can't count on him and he's not competing so I'm ok with what I've seen from the other safeties to be fine with that.

Yeah you should know me by now that my one working brain cell ceases up more often than not...sorry about that hate to confuse ya!

I am very pleased with the route the Rams org has gone here @ safety....UDFA's like McLeod, Davis, Daniels & Hall all young and should provide a solid safety cadre without the unavailable Stewart. I like TJ & Rod starting with Davis & Daniels as reserves & Hall making the PS.

It would not hurt my feeling if Stewart was traded off for a OLG.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

CoachO lying through his teeth:
McLeod has demonstrated the best instincts since he arrived here last year. The ONLY thing that cold be perceived as a "shortcoming" (no pun intended), is his lack of size.

Reading between the lines, that means to me that this is McLeod's job moving forward.

I think you're reading what Fisher said correctly. McDonald and McLeod will be our starters in the first game at least. That should make ScotsRam happy. :lol:

I wonder if Giordano makes the cut?

CoachO

Hall of Fame

albefree69 said:
CoachO lying through his teeth:
McLeod has demonstrated the best instincts since he arrived here last year. The ONLY thing that cold be perceived as a "shortcoming" (no pun intended), is his lack of size.

I think you're reading what Fisher said correctly. McDonald and McLeod will be our starters in the first game at least. That should make ScotsRam happy. :lol:

I wonder if Giordano makes the cut?

I think they may IR Giordano. He hasn't practiced since the first weekend of camp. By placing him on IR, he can continue to be "in the room", and provide a veteran's take on things, which IMO, is the reason he was brought in.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
At this point, I'd be surprised if it is NOT McLeod, and he wins by default. I think last week some of you saw that McLeod missed some tackles too, but, not unlike Stewart, you can't ask a safety to cover 3 or 4 holes. We need to clean that up with better with containment, and better fills by our LB's and DL.

A55VA6

Legend
McLeod is the better player in my opinion. He needs to start week 1 regardless if Stewart is healthy or not.