S&M deserve kudos for bold moves putting Rams in SB window...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Fortune favors the bold, they say. And has any team been more bold than the Rams this side of maybe Philly?

Big Whit. A 2-3 year rental.
Talib. A 2 year rental.
Joyner. A 1 year rental, at present.
Suh. Would be a 1-2 year rental.
Peters. Technically, a 2 year rental although I suspect that he might be around for much longer.
Sully. Originally a 1 year rental although now extended for 2 more.

The above represent some pretty bold short term moves that many teams would consider too risky. Yet they have kickstarted the Rams into SB contention along with some good drafting and shrewd FA moves both incoming and outgoing. Couple of bold trades this offseason have opened the doors for cap opportunities and upgrades via the draft.

Been a long time since we’ve seen such bold thinking and competence from our FO and coaching staff, huh?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the moves this offseason show they are committing to winning. Everything so far indicates they think they're not far off and they're going all in to get to the Superbowl. I don't know if they'll end up with Suh or not, but the defense is going to be pretty good even without him. I expect an improved defense and they weren't that bad before the moves.

Hard to improve on the highest scoring offense but they should be a good one anyway. Goff is far from a finished product. Gurley is elite. Kupp is only going to get better. Woods is already good. I expect one of the youngsters like Everett or Reynolds, or both, to be more involved.

feel like we'll still have a top tier offense to go with a much improved defense. They're a Superbowl contender as is.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how the tone of this could change if Suh signs with Tennessee....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It shouldn't change much. They are going after Suh. That doesn't mean they should be overly aggressive by breaking the bank for him. They've already put a huge stamp on our secondary and locked up Sully. Regardless of what happens with Suh, the organization has shown it intends to aggressively pursue a SB contender.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nope, dieter.

With or without Suh, this Ram team will be very strong in all 3 phases and our coaching staff takes a backseat to no one.

Suh would merely be some frosting on the cake.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Suh, historically great defensive line to go with the secondary, and a tape and baling wire linebacker corps.

Without Suh, a good defensive line, probably with a rookie NT, another signing or two for the linebacker corps, and more money to put towards re-signing Donald.

Advantages to both, though Suh would be spectacular in some ways.

Ram65

Legend

It would be a let down.

Either way the Rams still have to add players on defense.

Fortune favors the bold, they say. And has any team been more bold than the Rams this side of maybe Philly?

They have been bold with all the moves. The trades for Peters and Talib where bolt moves. When you add in the Quinn and Tree trades and a remake of the defense while saving money is extremely bold. With or without Suh they still have moves to make bold or not to solidify the defense.

dang

Legend
It would be a let down.

Either way the Rams still have to add players on defense.

They have been bold with all the moves. The trades for Peters and Talib where bolt moves. When you add in the Quinn and Tree trades and a remake of the defense while saving money is extremely bold. With or without Suh they still have moves to make bold or not to solidify the defense.

So what to do with the $$$ the Rams cobbled together for Suh if he signs elsewhere? I would like to see them continue to wisely invest in the Defense. Some sort of upgrade at NT, add Edge player, etc. Its time to think about plan B if Suh falls through.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what to do with the $$$ the Rams cobbled together for Suh if he signs elsewhere? I would like to see them continue to wisely invest in the Defense. Some sort of upgrade at NT, add Edge player, etc. Its time to think about plan B if Suh falls through.

Going for Suh WAS plan B (actually, plan D, I guess). The original plan imo was to save money to front load Donald's extension, if they didn't resign Watkins. Then they also tried to spend some of that money on Eifert.

Most likely (especially at this stage) they sign a few bargain basement vets and use the money for Donald.

Ram65

Legend

Junior Galette has been mentioned as a lesser cost edge rusher which would be a good sign. Unfortunately, there isn't much remaining in free agency. They haven't been mentioned with NT Johnathan Hankins so I don't think they are interested. Another lesser free agent or two signing and the draft. The Rams always surprise us of late. Could be a veteran that is cut.