S/ILB and other draft thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ILB - Littleton, Kiser, Dakota Allen
S - JJ, Weddle, Rapp, Christian, Countess, Scott

Last year we kept 4 ILB and 4 Safeties - we currently have 3 and 6 - Christian played an ILB spot on several 3rd downs - a role that they probably envision Rapp stepping into when he's ready.

Matthews provides further insurance at ILB, but I bet we keep 5 safeties this year with the intent on using Rapp or Christian at ILB more frequently - some have questioned drafting Nick Scott, but this sets up a scenario where Christian and Countess are in a camp battle with Scott. Additionally, Scott seems like a perfect candidate for the practice squad, with the staff envisioning him stepping into a backup role next year with the potential release of Weddle.

Some of our draft picks from last year, like Travin Howard, will also be battling for their jobs.

I loved this draft as our safeties, ILB and DL should now be set for years to come. If we can re-sign Fowler and Peters, our entire defense will be set for years.

Our OL, WR, RB are also set. Which means next year's draft we can take an edge rusher, CB, TE and QB - and in reality, we can probably fill Edge, CB and TE by re-signing our own or FA before the draft if we wanted to.

Fantastic job by Snead.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think we are a long way from set at ILB.

Kiser is unproven. I mean, his next snap at ILB will be his first in a regular season game.

And Allen is the epitome of unproven. A late 7th rookie.

Scott is probably gonna make this team on ST. Fassell simply loves him.

I love this draft to death, but let’s don’t get carried away just yet.

WestCoastRam

Legend
They seem to be talking Kiser up at ILB but he's untested for the most part. I suspect they go with him and if he fails they end up playing Matthews at that spot more. Plan plan 1a would be for Matthews as the 3-4 OLB/Joker/Spinner role.

I don't think you can EXPECT anything from Allen more than depth/ST play. That's what a 7th rounder is.

Countess on the outside looking in right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They seem to be talking Kiser up at ILB but he's untested for the most part. I suspect they go with him and if he fails they end up playing Matthews at that spot more. Plan plan 1a would be for Matthews as the 3-4 OLB/Joker/Spinner role.

I think he will nominally be the starter, but between Matthews taking snaps and the large number of 3 safety packages they will run, they are expecting him to get backup snaps. That could change, once he shows in actual games that he can handle the pass defense aspects of the position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
ILB - Littleton, Kiser, Dakota Allen
S - JJ, Weddle, Rapp, Christian, Countess, Scott

Last year we kept 4 ILB and 4 Safeties - we currently have 3 and 6 - Christian played an ILB spot on several 3rd downs - a role that they probably envision Rapp stepping into when he's ready.

Matthews provides further insurance at ILB, but I bet we keep 5 safeties this year with the intent on using Rapp or Christian at ILB more frequently - some have questioned drafting Nick Scott, but this sets up a scenario where Christian and Countess are in a camp battle with Scott. Additionally, Scott seems like a perfect candidate for the practice squad, with the staff envisioning him stepping into a backup role next year with the potential release of Weddle.

Some of our draft picks from last year, like Travin Howard, will also be battling for their jobs.

I loved this draft as our safeties, ILB and DL should now be set for years to come. If we can re-sign Fowler and Peters, our entire defense will be set for years.

Our OL, WR, RB are also set. Which means next year's draft we can take an edge rusher, CB, TE and QB - and in reality, we can probably fill Edge, CB and TE by re-signing our own or FA before the draft if we wanted to.

Fantastic job by Snead.

it's a bit early to say fantastic job imo. To me this draft could go either way. I like the high character theme. They seem like some good players, but no pick made me giddy.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's a bit early to say fantastic job imo. To me this draft could go either way. I like the high character theme. They seem like some good players, but no pick made me giddy.

For me, Gaines was the best pick and made me ecstatic. Every fan wanted the Rams to get better against the run, but most of us resigned to the fact that Wade typically doesn't like that type of DT.

Long was another outstanding pick - he will almost certainly be starting next year.

I didn't necessarily think of safety as a huge need, but Rapp upgrades our nickel D this year most likely and takes over for Weddle next.

I wasn't thrilled about taking a RB, but then I heard McVay talk about how having Henderson will allow us to get into some different personnel groupings - I expect that this offense now has everything McVay wants to do everything that he wants to do (Everett and Reynolds developed last year, now have the type of RB they wanted (signed Lance Dubar that first year)).

The OL I don't know a ton about but trust Kromer.

He said that Scott was Bones' favorite special teams player in the draft. Allen could end up being a steal.

Having elite players raises the level of play of others - that's why Kiser and Brian Allen are going to start this year with little playing time - the same will happen next year with Long and Evans IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams have zero depth at OL.
I mean guys you would feel comfortable saying "start the next six games" because of injury.
OT seems to be a position with a pretty steep learning curve.
Assuming 8 lineman dress for games either Neary or Demby for depth at G and Evans a T. May end up have to dress both T's if one can only handle one side.
Blythe (I assume) would be the 2 C and not Neary.
Maybe some UFA or a cheap pre camp FA is added to the mix.
Gaines was my favorite pick of the draft.
Seems to fit Wade's system very well and I would expect him to get a fair number of snaps early.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
The Rams have zero depth at OL.
I mean guys you would feel comfortable saying "start the next six games" because of injury.
OT seems to be a position with a pretty steep learning curve.
Assuming 8 lineman dress for games either Neary or Demby for depth at G and Evans a T. May end up have to dress both T's if one can only handle one side.
Blythe (I assume) would be the 2 C and not Neary.
Maybe some UFA or a cheap pre camp FA is added to the mix.
Gaines was my favorite pick of the draft.
Seems to fit Wade's system very well and I would expect him to get a fair number of snaps early.

Agreed. We drafted 4 or 5 OL in one draft. How many are here now? Even though some showed promise

I like the picks, but we will sign a veteran swing tackle or guard before the start of season. We need at least one reliable back up. So, with that in mind we might have to put Evans on the PS or have 9 or more on the active roster... nothing is set yet, not even close