Ryan and Buffalo moving fast

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Already asked Schwartz to return, and looks like they're bringing in Roman. Ryan might end up with a pretty good staff and it'll be funny if he wins in Buffalo... Hearing the gnashing of teeth from the NY media will be entertaining.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only team that plays in New York doesnt call itself New York and the local media supports the local teams that play in New Jersey, but call themself New York.
Its all confusing around here...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Already asked Schwartz to return, and looks like they're bringing in Roman. Ryan might end up with a pretty good staff and it'll be funny if he wins in Buffalo... Hearing the gnashing of teeth from the NY media will be entertaining.

The problem is he's in almost the same situation as he was in NY. The difference is he might have a better WR in Buffalo, along with better RBs. He'll have a really stout defense.

Does keeping Schwartz mean he's going to keep the 4-3 going up there?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I was wondering about him keeping the 4-3 with Schwartz as well. I assume he will keep it, makes no sense not to if you're gonna keep the DC.

I suspect Ryan learned a lot with the Jets, given that decision. The Bills have significant talent, much like the Rams they have needs but are very close with explosive players all over. Would not surprise me if they become a playoff team under Ryan, because players do play hard for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That Bills team is significantly more talented than the Jets...This is a great move. I suspect he'll have the tools to beat Brady...Now if he could either fix EJ or draft a great QB....

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem is he's in almost the same situation as he was in NY. The difference is he might have a better WR in Buffalo, along with better RBs. He'll have a really stout defense.

Does keeping Schwartz mean he's going to keep the 4-3 going up there?
Good question about the 4/3. Buffalo makes sense with the D they already have. To me it would be foolish to change something that is working. With a little help from the O Buffalo is a very good team. For the record I still like Manuel as a QB.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah I was wondering about him keeping the 4-3 with Schwartz as well. I assume he will keep it, makes no sense not to if you're gonna keep the DC.

I suspect Ryan learned a lot with the Jets, given that decision. The Bills have significant talent, much like the Rams they have needs but are very close with explosive players all over. Would not surprise me if they become a playoff team under Ryan, because players do play hard for him.

Good question about the 4/3. Buffalo makes sense with the D they already have. To me it would be foolish to change something that is working. With a little help from the O Buffalo is a very good team. For the record I still like Manuel as a QB.

I just know Schwartz currently runs a 4-3. I have no idea about his past (if he has any experience at all with a 3-4.)

fearsomefour

Legend
I just know Schwartz currently runs a 4-3. I have no idea about his past (if he has any experience at all with a 3-4.)
Me either other than he ran a 4/3 in Detroit, so, I am sure he is a 4/3 guy. But, you know, switching to a 3/4 requires changing out personel to a certain degree....why mess with something that is working? Of course, I would not put anything past Ryan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only team that plays in New York doesnt call itself New York and the local media supports the local teams that play in New Jersey, but call themself New York.
Its all confusing around here...

No confusion the Cowboys play in Arlington and are called Dallas, the Rams used to play in Anaheim and were called Los Angeles the 49ers play in Santa Clara and are called San Francisco I understand New Jersey is a different state, but that Metro area is connected so it makes sense to New Yorkers, plus nobody wants to mention Jersey!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
That Bills team is significantly more talented than the Jets...This is a great move. I suspect he'll have the tools to beat Brady...Now if he could either fix EJ or draft a great QB....

Gonna have to be the year after next, unless he gets him with a 2nd. Knowing Rex he probably will reach on someone in the 2nd round then be happy going into camp with competition between 2 below average players.

I do look forward to that defense getting after Brady though agreed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Hopefully Boston will be upset, too. :sneaky:

iced

Why do people think Rex is a 3-4 only guy? If you have 2 All-pros on your defensive line you don't change schemes.

because schwartz just left over "philosophical differences" and ryan is a known lover of the 3-4...

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
because schwartz just left over "philosophical differences" and ryan is a known lover of the 3-4...
Ryan may very well prefer the 3-4 but he's run a 3-4 and a 4-3 and mixed in the 46 partially. I have no idea what he will run in Buffalo, but personnel suggest he will run a one-gap scheme, which can be either a 3-4 or 4-3.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's good, because Buffalo moved so slow and predictable, that made the endangered list.. Fuck, Ryan. Serious.

iced

Ryan may very well prefer the 3-4 but he's run a 3-4 and a 4-3 and mixed in the 46 partially. I have no idea what he will run in Buffalo, but personnel suggest he will run a one-gap scheme, which can be either a 3-4 or 4-3.

i'll wager any amount he runs a 3-4.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
i'll wager any amount he runs a 3-4.
What kind of 3-4? A one-gap or two gap? The kind of 3-4 he runs is a one-gap system where essentially one of the OLBs plays the technique of a DE and the inside guys align like a 4-3. The difference is one of the OLbers stand up and depending on the strength of the offense which means it's not always the same OLBer who plays the DE role. If gives flexibility.

The key to what defenses do is not the number of DL and LBers, it's what techniques they play and the easiest way to see that is where they line up and if they play solid or shade on the offensive linemen.