Russian Troops Entering Ukraine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The "invasion" has started, for those not familiar with Ukrain and the Crimean Peninsula ,the area is what is known as the "bread basket " of eastern Europe the Crimean Pen. is where the Russian Black Sea fleet docks .
What is hard to accept is that the timing of this is coincidence,it's widely known that the Russian intelligence community works to create unrest and instability in the Eastern Block ,that this all comes down immediately after the Russian hosted Olympics is too ,too cute.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have a friend I have known since middle school(over 16 years ago), who went to the Ukraine a few years back working for the Peace Corps. Still works there and got married recently. Usually keeps me and others updated on everything going on there. Hope he remains safe. Also most of my wifes family is there as well. Not an easy time over there for sure.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Big shock Putin sending troops in - eh? Maybe we should warn them. Oh wait!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have a friend I have known since middle school(over 16 years ago), who went to the Ukraine a few years back working for the Peace Corps. Still works there and got married recently. Usually keeps me and others updated on everything going on there. Hope he remains safe. Also most of my wifes family is there as well. Not an easy time over there for sure.

Hope your friends and loved ones can stay safe and away from the violence. Hopefully the fighting stops and there's a peaceful resolution to this,

bluecoconuts

Legend

Seems like a pretty good breakdown, I agree that on the diplomatic side suspending Russia from the G8 should be done, and cancel the meeting, which I've heard most if not all of the other countries (UK, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, Italy) are ready to agree to this, as well as some strict economic sanctions. Obviously we want to avoid war, but you can't let Russia just do what they want. If they want to advance further into the country, then I'd say force is likely needed, similar to what happened in the first Gulf War. It's a difficult situation for sure, you need to smack em down but try to avoid a big ass war. I'm certain for all of Putin's talk, if the US, UK, and Canada sent over forces to the area with orders to fire he would back off in a second like a pussy, because he knows it's a war he'd get spanked in. However if you do that and he does have a deathwish, then you have to be worried about potential nuclear actions. Which is why regardless of what happens, you don't follow them into Russia and push that can of worms. Probably going to require a mix of hard and soft power to teach them a lesson, just have to be careful. Too little and he doesn't learn, too much and nukes could fly. In the end I feel Putin is pressing to see just how far he can go, so you stop him there, and let him beat himself. Putin's popularity in Russia fluxes pretty wildly, in December they were the lowest since 2000, in the low 40's, and now they're highest since in inauguration of 2012 in the high 60's (likely due in part to Russia's good showing in the Olympics). However if he pisses everyone off, even China, get's booted from the G8, has uprisings in Crimea, and facing harsh economic sanctions that could be problematic for reelection. Of course since Russia moved to 6 year terms, he's got till 2018, so there's plenty of time for things to change, and he'll be pushing 66 so he may not want to serve until he's 72.

Tricky situation, but two things are certain, Putin sucks and he needs to be smacked down a bit. This is why I couldn't ever be president, I'd just drop a Delta Team in there and tell them to not do anything to him, just leave a Presidential Coin for him to find. Then call him up and say "See that? That's how close I can get, next time they'll be speaking the international language of 5.56"

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Big shock Putin sending troops in - eh? Maybe we should warn them. Oh wait!
Oh yeah, that wacky Sarah Palin spoke of this in 2008. How did she get so insightful? :whistle:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From the article:

In any event, Washington’s response should be clear and forceful. Russia has violated all kinds of laws and norms, including most crucially, a treaty that it signed with Ukraine guaranteeing that country’s borders, in return for which Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons.

Proving ONLY that disarmament is a game for fools when played with Russia

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Seems we also have a treaty to defend Ukrain

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
From the article:

In any event, Washington’s response should be clear and forceful. Russia has violated all kinds of laws and norms, including most crucially, a treaty that it signed with Ukraine guaranteeing that country’s borders, in return for which Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons.
Proving ONLY that disarmament is a game for fools when played with Russia
Always be wary of a government or official that says you don't need the tools to defend yourself.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It is my expectation that Crimea will be ceded to the Russians for more hollow assurances and we will keep our fingers crossed that they don't decide to go further .
IDK if anyone has seen the vids but our current Sec. of State mocked ridiculed and demeaned Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin both for suggesting this was in the offing.He's got egg on his face now and we now are at risk that our diplomacy will include face saving along with all the rest.
Again I recommend the book Command Auithority it reads like in depth coverage of current events with some twists the news would never report because they wouldn't know.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The conspiracy theory side of me feels like this whole affair is an orchestrated "wag the dog" event and when I say orchestrated, I mean by multiple leaders of countries involved. Endgame? I haven't a clue.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
The Europeans are afraid to do too much because it's winter and the Russians could shut the flow of natural gas off, (which BTW they DO in the book) .
No one wants war , Hitler correctly gauged the French didn't want to fight and actually beat a French army that was by all accounts larger and better equipped than his. IMO Putin knows the same thing that the continent of Europe after two world wars on their soil in the last 100 years are reticent to fight,but what the French don't understand and so many other western nations as well is that the very reason someone decides to come after you is because they think you won't fight,so their pacifism invites aggression.
Maybe we "should" take this opportunity to annex Mexico and all of central America down to and including the Panama Canal and say we are only doing it to protect the relatives of all the illegal aliens in this country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...utin-mocks-the-West-and-threatens-to-turn-off

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Europeans are afraid to do too much because it's winter and the Russians could shut the flow of natural gas off, (which BTW they DO in the book) .
No one wants war , Hitler correctly gauged the French didn't want to fight and actually beat a French army that was by all accounts larger and better equipped than his. IMO Putin knows the same thing that the continent of Europe after two world wars on their soil in the last 100 years are reticent to fight,but what the French don't understand and so many other western nations as well is that the very reason someone decides to come after you is because they think you won't fight,so their pacifism invites aggression.
Maybe we "should" take this opportunity to annex Mexico and all of central America down to and including the Panama Canal and say we are only doing it to protect the relatives of all the illegal aliens in this country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...utin-mocks-the-West-and-threatens-to-turn-off

And do it with troops with generic uniforms on and claim they are not our troops.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you think Europe is too afraid to fight, or that they would just sit back or that we would allow Russia to do anything remotely what you're suggesting you're completely off base. If Russia even positioned themselves for that they would be crushed. Their military is not that strong, not even close. French aren't afraid to fight either, France of the 30's and France of the present are two completely different animals.

Ram_of_Old

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It is only the Thug Putin trying to reassemble the old Soviet Union. There is very little that we can do about it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It is only the Thug Putin trying to reassemble the old Soviet Union. There is very little that we can do about it.

Oh he most assuredly IS a thug (take note Richard Sherman) and while his people live in poverty he robs them blind,which in the end will defeat him because he lets everyone else rob them blind so they support him and eventually their corruption will render their military outdated and inconsequential

Ram_of_Old

Oh he most assuredly IS a thug (take note Richard Sherman) and while his people live in poverty he robs them blind,which in the end will defeat him because he lets everyone else rob them blind so they support him and eventually their corruption will render their military outdated and inconsequential

That's right...he is a WHITE THUG!