Russell Wilson wants to be highest paid NFL player

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I absolutely love this type of news! Lol
GJ Seagulls! Lock his ass up !

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just hope they pay him CLOSE to that price because of the cap damage it will do.

They've been paying him like a 2nd year reserve LB for the past few years in a QB driven league and getting away with it.

Even with Marshawn Lynch, the guy has had to make plays and plenty of them and made them.

They're going to have to pay him SOMETHING because who else is out there? Some kid in the draft? Are they REALLY going to replace him with some guy in the third round and think lightning strikes twice?

Maybe lightning strikes twice here in Central Florida if you continue to run naked in the middle of lightning storms holding a nine iron. But with the NFL draft? Not so much...

Is Russell Wilson worth more than Aaron Rodgers? Nope.

Is he worth more than the LACK of Russell Wilson? Is he worth paying him versus the going with the alternative? Because THAT's the actual question their GM is facing and THAT question may be yes.

And that is what makes me happy and Seahawk fans sad...so very, very sad.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
29982faa5fb85756c0b09ace664431e1.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll echo those that want to pay him... frankly, I can't think of a more deserving player!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm no big Russell Wilson fan, but the kid has gone to the big dance twice, and really should have two rings to show for it if his coach wasn't an assclown.
Not sure why he get's the game manager title when the Hags damn sure hadn't been to the promised land without him. Not sayin he should be the highest paid, but give the man his credit.

I think he gets the game manager title because he epitomizes what a game manager is. Last year he ranked 19th in pass attempts and only Cam Newton had less for QB's who started more than 14 games. He was 15th in yards and 16th in TD's Very similar to his 2013 numbers which where 22nd in attempts, 16th yards and 10th in TD's.

He is a very good game manager though, he is able to extend plays with his legs and makes good decisions, but at the end of the day he is a game manager. That being said, I don't think he should be the highest paid QB, but I hope Seattle takes good care of him and pays him handsomely lol.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, he kinda holds all the cards at this point. No way the squawks let him walk, so bend over get ready for the salary cap pounding Pete. The seachickens have come home to roost!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm no big Russell Wilson fan, but the kid has gone to the big dance twice, and really should have two rings to show for it if his coach wasn't an assclown.
Not sure why he get's the game manager title when the Hags damn sure hadn't been to the promised land without him. Not sayin he should be the highest paid, but give the man his credit.

I think that's where it gets interesting. Does he deserve to be paid like a starting NFL QB? No doubt about it. But the thing is - if you're being honest with yourself - how many QBs could have led this dominate Seahawk roster to the superbowls? I'd say at least 15. So how do you gauge his value?

Then again, we're talking a difference of probably $3 million between the 1st and 10th highest paid QBs, which makes me think there is something else going on here. My best guess would be that Seattle thought they could paid Wilson $15 mil per year and he'd be fine with it, and the hang up is actually a difference of close to $10mil

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well, he kinda holds all the cards at this point. No way the squawks let him walk, so bend over get ready for the salary cap pounding Pete.

Not so fast.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eaving-seattle-in-2016-is-a-real-possibility/

Russell Wilson leaving Seattle in 2016 is a real possibility
Posted by Mike Florio on June 26, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptcwodlhogu4ndg1nmu2mzi3zmi3yjaxy2e4mmvjztli-e1422879415272.jpeg
AP

Russell Wilson surely wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL. And he almost surely will be, at least until Andrew Luck or someone else sets the ever-rising bar even higher.

The real question becomes whether he’ll get that record-setting-until-the-next-record-setting deal from the Seahawks or someone else.

The Seahawks currently face the three options set forth earlier today: (1) sign Wilson to a long-term deal; (2) apply the non-exclusive franchise tag; or (3) apply the exclusive franchise tag. (There’s technically a fourth option that will be addressed in a later post — that’s called a tease, Jimmy.)

Those are the choices the Ravens faced in February 2013 with quarterback Joe Flacco, and the Ravens opted to make Flacco the highest-paid player in the league, a title he held for barely two months. The Ravens gave Flacco a contract $120.6 million over six years (which included $62 million over the first three) because the exclusive tag would have cost more than $19 million for 2013 (and nearly $75 million over three), and because the non-exclusive tag would have opened the door for the Browns or someone else to swoop in and offer the market-value deal the Ravens wouldn’t.

The possibility of the Seahawks opting not to pay a market-value deal and also opting not to use the exclusive franchise tag (which likely would result in a three-year payout to Wilson of more than $98 million) would leave the Seahawks with one choice: Apply the non-exclusive tag, assume the risk that someone else will sign him to an offer sheet reflecting a market-value deal, and either match the offer or accept two first-round picks as compensation from Wilson’s new team.

Apparently, Wilson already has accepted the possibility that he’ll eventually be moving from Seattle to a new NFL city, in the same way he moved from North Carolina State to Wisconsin. Per a league source, the Seahawks for now remain intent on working out a long-term deal with Wilson.

At some point, though, the possibility of using the non-exclusive tag and harvesting a pair of first-round picks will become more distinct — especially if the two sides can’t make real progress toward a long-term agreement.

There’s still plenty of time before the drop-dead point arrives. In a deadline-driven business, the real deadline for the Seahawks comes just as the annual window for applying the franchise tag arrives in 2016. But Seattle can create a practical deadline for Wilson by making a very large offer short of his market value before training camp opens, or at the latest before the season begins.

Although Wilson seems to be content to play in 2015 at a mere $1.5 million, there’s a number less than what he could get after his rookie deal expires that would change his mind now. In the coming days and weeks, an effort undoubtedly will be made to craft such an offer.

But if a long-term deal can’t be reached before the regular season begins, the wheels will be in motion on a train that could result in Wilson rolling to another NFL city for 2016.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/28/a-trade-is-also-possible-for-russell-wilson/

A trade is also possible for Russell Wilson
Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2015

cd05oddlnmnhy2mwmjrlzwqzntjhm2viytq1y2vly2yzocznpwywywy0mtk2ytrkn2ywmzmxyti3otc5n2njytu2mwix.jpg
Getty Images

It remains too early to know how quarterback Russell Wilson’s long-term future will play out in Seattle. It’s not too early to identify the potential outcomes.

On the surface, there are three options for the Seahawks and Wilson beyond 2015: (1) new multi-year contract with Seattle; (2) exclusive franchise tag, which prevents him for entertaining offers elsewhere; and (3) non-exclusive franchise tag, which allows another team to sign Wilson to an offer sheet, and to give up two first-round picks if the offer sheet isn’t matched.

There’s also a fourth option. The Seahawks could trade Wilson.

A trade on or before the 2015 deadline for doing so is highly unlikely; with the offseason programs concluded, it would be too hard for Wilson’s new team to get the most out of him. It also would be too hard for the Seahawks to prepare another quarterback, whether it’s a quarterback on the roster or someone who would be signed or, in theory, acquired via a Wilson trade.

Making a trade before October even less likely is the reality that, before the two sides would divorce, they’d have to want that outcome. They’re not there yet, and there’s no reason to think they’ll be there before the trade deadline.

But they could be there by February. If ongoing discussions (discussions that could be continuing as soon as this week) fail to result in a long-term deal, the Seahawks could opt for a trade of Wilson over mere placement of the non-exclusive tender and acceptance of a pair of first-round picks from whichever team convinces Wilson to sign.

Here’s how it likely would unfold. The Seahawks would apply the exclusive franchise tag, preventing another team (like the Rams, a division rival) from pursuing Wilson. The Seahawks then could shop Wilson, simultaneously controlling his next destination and seeking compensation other than a pair of first-round picks.

They could seek more than two first-round picks. (If Robert Griffin III was worth three ones and a two, what is Wilson worth?) The Seahawks could seek the first overall pick from whichever team earns it, if there’s a clear-cut franchise quarterback emerging in the 2016 draft. They could try to get a veteran quarterback as part of the package.

And that’s where it gets very intriguing. Three and a half decades after the Raiders and Oilers swapped Ken Stabler and Dan Pastorini, the Seahawks could send Wilson to another team for its starting quarterback.

Plenty of teams would consider that. From Seattle’s perspective, the challenge would become finding the right fit for the offense — and for the short-term and long-term interests of the franchise.

In the end, Wilson would get what he wants, a contract making him the highest-paid player in the game. And the Seahawks actually could end up with an arguably “better” quarterback who is willing to accept less money in order to pursue championships and to cement his own NFL legacy.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I hope they hold tight, and he holds out until 1 day before we open with them. He plays, he's very rusty and we knock the living sh*t out of him. The result will send the sea-chickens into a tail spin for the entire season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(If Robert Griffin III was worth three ones and a two, what is Wilson worth?)

Well, first - RG3 WASN'T worth three ones and a two - the league realizes now the Redskins gave up way too much. Second, RG3 arguably was better than Wilson has ever been his rookie season, he got hurt and has never been the same. Third, RG3 was getting a rookie contract, NOT demanding to be paid the most in the NFL. His demanding that much and possibly holding out greatly reduces Wilson's trade value.

But tell you what, Seahawks. I'd be willing for the Rams to trade Austin Davis for him - straight up. A lot cheaper, starting experience, etc. I'm sure all the cornerbacks in the NFC West would love the pick 6s they would be getting.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/russell-wilson-mentions-a-figure/

Russell Wilson mentions a figure: $25 million
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2015

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has yet again been interviewed. And he has yet again avoided questions about his contract with the team.

But Wilson has finally floated a figure, during an interview with ESPN’s Marty Smith.

Said Smith, “Nobody’s won more than you in the last several years. We’ve seen what some of your peers have gotten on the market recently. Based on the current market for the quarterback and based on your resume, what do you deserve?”

Wilson opted to be coy. “I don’t know, how much would you pay me, Marty?” Wilson said with a laugh.

“I mean, you have a Super Bowl and you took ’em to another Super Bowl,” Smith said.

“I think ultimately it comes down to the play,” Wilson said. “Just let my play speak for itself, and let the rest take care of itself. Continue to love the game for what it is, continue to fight, continue to play. No matter how much I’m getting paid, whether it’s $25 million or $1.5 million. I’ll be ready to go.”

The second number is what Wilson is due to make this year. The first number could be what Wilson is aiming to get, a possible slip of the tongue. (Or maybe he was simply thinking about the jersey number worn by teammate Richard Sherman.)

Wilson also called his relationship with the Seahawks “great” and “I don’t think it’s a bad relationship by any means.” He also reiterated his desire to stay in Seattle.

That’s fine, but at some point the desire to stay in Seattle and the desire to get paid will conflict, especially if he’s serious about making $25 million per year — which is $3 million more per year than the current high-water mark in the NFL set two years ago by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.