Russ Lande: “I Wouldn’t Consider Dix at 13 No Matter What”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Russ Lande joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the NFL Draft, why Manziel might be the best option for the Texans, the Rams position in the draft, why they are in the best position to take an o-lineman, he warns against the safeties in the 1st round and more on the Rams QB search in the draft.

Listen to Lande Talk Rams Draft

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Best draft analyst I know. He really studies his craft. Interesting take on Ram QB situation but ultimately, I doubt the Rams take one before round 3 unless they have three picks in the second.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Call me crazy but I'm thinking Manziel to Texans is a real possibility.

In fact, I'm 60/40 on it. It makes sense;
  1. They desperately need a QB.
  2. Say what you want, but JM will bring a buzz to the team.
  3. He's already got a Texas fan base.
  4. Clowney's work ethic and love for football is a legit question mark. He's bit hook, line, and sinker on all the praise throw his way.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Best draft analyst I know. He really studies his craft. Interesting take on Ram QB situation but ultimately, I doubt the Rams take one before round 3 unless they have three picks in the second.

Lande's good, and in line with several posters on this forum. The Dix supporters are outnumbered by those wanting Dennard, Gilbert, Donald or a WR at #13.

We'll have alot of solid QB's to pick from in the 3rd/4th round. (maybe sooner with the Barrett Jones news)

"one of the better young teams in the NFL" oh yeah!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Russ Lande is a smart man, especially on the safeties @ 13 IMHO. Thanks for posting Rambill. Much appreciated man.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russ Lande is a smart man, especially on the safeties @ 13 IMHO. Thanks for posting Rambill. Much appreciated man.

You're welcome.

I think Snead will be in line with Lande on Dix. Dix doesn't seem to be special and I don't know if they value the position enough to use a mid first rounder on a safety, unless it's an Earl Thomas type.

Snead has referred multiple times about wanting to come out of this draft with HOF type players if possible....like the Ravens did with Ogden and Lewis. Dix doesn't seem like that kind of player.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm all for Jimmy Ward or Terrence Brooks in the 2nd. Use 13 to trade down and take BPA wherever you land(Verrett?) that way we should be able to get an extra 2nd. Pair that with a trade down from 2 to 6 where we take Evans and we should have a total of three 2nd round picks. :D Perhaps use that third 2nd on an OT?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Call me crazy but I'm thinking Manziel to Texans is a real possibility.

In fact, I'm 60/40 on it. It makes sense;
  1. They desperately need a QB.
  2. Say what you want, but JM will bring a buzz to the team.
  3. He's already got a Texas fan base.
  4. Clowney's work ethic and love for football is a legit question mark. He's bit hook, line, and sinker on all the praise throw his way.

I tend to agree with you my man. Only thing is pairing Clowney with Watts is a hell of a combo.
It can go either way though.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm all for Jimmy Ward or Terrence Brooks in the 2nd. Use 13 to trade down and take BPA wherever you land(Verrett?) that way we should be able to get an extra 2nd. Pair that with a trade down from 2 to 6 where we take Evans and we should have a total of three 2nd round picks. :D Perhaps use that third 2nd on an OT?

Yea I'm with you on the trade down at 13 and Ward in the second. I stayed up late last night just watching a bunch of player highlights and Ward stuck out at the safety position. The highlights I saw had him both in the box and playing center field, and the guy just brought it. He's a great blitzer and the guy just hustles to the ball. Seems like the perfect interchangeable safety Williams prefers. The only hiccup is his size, where scouts are concerned about injury, but elite free safeties don't always necessarily have to be big (Reed, Thomas, Byrd, etc.). If I had it my way (no trades):

1a. Robinson
1b. Dennard/Donald
2. Ward
3. Murray
4. Gabe Jackson

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No way to know who will be there @ 1.13 & which player or player who could fall but if things go close to what is Mocked I would be looking hard @ two players.
#1-DT Aaron Donald
#2-CB Justin Gilbert

If these two are gone I would suggest seeking a trade down later in the First round picking up a 3rd round pick if possible. Fisher needs a Nickleback or a starting corner that would permit JJ to take up the Nickle. In no way do I suggest the Rams select a safety with this 1.13 pick.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yea I'm with you on the trade down at 13 and Ward in the second. I stayed up late last night just watching a bunch of player highlights and Ward stuck out at the safety position. The highlights I saw had him both in the box and playing center field, and the guy just brought it. He's a great blitzer and the guy just hustles to the ball. Seems like the perfect interchangeable safety Williams prefers. The only hiccup is his size, where scouts are concerned about injury, but elite free safeties don't always necessarily have to be big (Reed, Thomas, Byrd, etc.). If I had it my way (no trades):

1a. Robinson
1b. Dennard/Donald
2. Ward
3. Murray
4. Gabe Jackson

Other than Bonifay's suggestion of Gilbert at 1b too, I'm 100% down with these picks. One question: if we get Donald at 1b, which CB do we get late?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wait on one hand, many media folk say a player isn't "worth" a 1st round pick, they wouldn't touch him with the proverbial non existent 10 ft pole, "reg flag red flag red flag"...yet the player will end up where he's projected. Who's right then? Media folk or the teams actually doing the drafting?

Guys like Hasean, Jake Matthews, Dennard Robinson, Justin Gilbert are guys that have been 1st rounders since college, and have been consistent for the most part throughout this whole process. Those are the types of players to take. Not these "stock risers" and combine performers.