Rush Lande: Feeling the Rush About the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Feeling the Rush

By Russ Lande

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...g-rushing-attack-and-an-elite-defense#!bdbVmx

In OTAs (Offseason Talk & Analysis) all through June and July, the Sports on Earth NFL team will break down each team's offseason transactions, boldest moves and burning questions as they prepare for training camp. Click here for links to every entry in the series.

Although general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher have done an excellent job of upgrading the Rams' overall talent level since taking over the franchise, they're stuck in a division with what many consider to be the two best teams in the NFL -- the Seahawks and the 49ers -- and therefore are faced with potentially never making the playoffs. As the saying goes, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results," and many believe this is what the Rams are doing by counting on Sam Bradford to not only stay healthy for an entire season -- something he's only been able to do in two of his four seasons -- but to also play at a consistently-high-enough level for the Rams to win. For all the talent and potential the Rams have, the reality is that the biggest story during training camp will be whether Michael Sam does enough to make their roster.

Biggest Offseason Move: Selecting Aaron Donald in the first round

While many will point to the Rams' selection of Michael Sam as their biggest move of the offseason, I believe it's clearly the addition of Donald. On a defensive line with three other first-round picks, Donald steps into a great spot and has the potential to make an immediate impact. With his rare first-step quickness, underrated strength, excellent hand use and uncommon ability to get skinny, Donald will be able to blow up plays behind the line of scrimmage and pressure the quarterback. He'll make it even harder for offenses to block defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long effectively. And playing next to massive defensive tackle Michael Brockers should help both of them, as their styles complement each other -- Brockers is a powerful, two-gap defensive tackle who can control one-on-one blocks (and make it look easy) and can even anchor against double teams.

In a division with Seattle and San Francisco, who try to control the game by dominating the line of scrimmage and wearing down their opponents, the Rams' defensive line could force both teams to adjust their offensive game plans when they meet. As those teams have proven in recent years, an elite defense can be enough to carry a solid offensive team to the playoffs; adding Donald to their defensive line shows that the Rams feel that is their best chance to challenge for the division.

Biggest Offseason Gamble: Banking on Bradford

If you only looked at stats, you'd feel confident that QB Sam Bradford has made big strides throughout his career and is on the verge of becoming a frontline starter in the NFL. However, when evaluating him on film, it seems clear that some of Bradford's biggest faults are still an issue. For a quarterback with his physical talent, he does not play with the confidence I would expect. He often seems hesitant to pull the trigger quickly and doesn't stride into his throws aggressively or decisively, and this leads to his passes lacking consistency both in zip and accuracy. Additionally, the sign of a top quarterback is his ability to raise the level of performance of his receivers -- there's an old saying that good quarterbacks make average receivers good and good receivers great -- but Bradford has not been able to do this. He seems to be much more of a throw-to-an-open-receiver quarterback than one who can lead his receivers open and excel on quick-hitting timing routes.

Although Bradford is a better athlete than he gets credit for, he is clearly more of a classic pocket passer who struggles when he has to adjust within the pocket. This has been a major issue in recent years due to the Rams' offensive line struggles. Unfortunately, I'm not sure their line will be significantly better this year. Having Jake Long back at left tackle is definitely good, but after his knee injury late last season, he likely won't be back to his old form until halfway through this season. Left guard Greg Robinson is a huge man who dominated as a run blocker at Auburn, but his pass protection needs work. While I believe he'll eventually be a good pass blocker, his struggles as a rookie will likely lead to Bradford being pressured from the inside more often than is acceptable. Rodger Saffold is also returning from injury and will be playing right guard next to Joe Barksdale, who struggled mightily with consistency in 2013. I'm confident that the Rams offensive line will be much better in 2015, after they've had a year to work together and get their injured players back to peak form -- but the same unit will struggle more than expected this season.

Biggest 2014 Question: Do the Rams have enough receiving weapons?

Tight end Jared Cook was the Rams best receiving weapon in 2013 -- but he wasn't a dominant game-changer who upgraded their entire passing attack. I believe he has what it takes to be a 70-catch-per-season weapon, but if he's their only quality receiving option, then their offense will not be proficient throwing the ball. The diminutive Tavon Austin was too often a non-factor during the season despite possessing elite physical talent. His development will not only be key for their offense and big play ability, but will also show us whether Rams' offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can figure out how to incorporate him into their offense correctly. I spoke with numerous people around the NFL this offseason, and they pointed out that with players like Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson, it's the job of the offensive coordinator to figure out a way to get the ball in their hands regularly, regardless of what issues they may have that limit their ability to fit into the offense traditionally.

While the Rams want to see Chris Givens rebound and play at the level he played in 2012 -- and hope that Austin Pettis and Stedman Bailey continue to develop -- the receiver who could have the biggest impact on the Rams is Kenny Britt. Few receivers match Britt's size and athleticism, and when he's focused -- competing hard and taking care of his business off the field -- he has shown the talent to be a frontline, No. 1 receiver in the NFL. His natural hands, body control and size enable him to easily make highlight-reel catches seem routine. With his size, strength, quick acceleration and playing speed, he can turn short passes into long gains with shocking ease. While I would never bet on a player with Britt's background to turn things around, his signing was a great bargain-basement move and could turn out to be one of the best value moves in 2014 if he stays on the straight and narrow.

Bold Prediction

With the selection of offensive lineman Greg Robinson -- who was the most dominating run-blocking offensive linemen in the 2014 NFL draft -- and running back Tre' Mason, there is no doubt in my mind that the Rams plan on running the ball a ton in 2014. With the combination of Mason, Zac Stacy and the unheralded Benny Cunningham, the Rams have three runners who are decisive, instinctive and aggressive. They all are comfortable running between the tackles, keep their legs churning after being hit and consistently gain yards after contact, which will help them to wear down opposing defenses. I believe the Rams see the example set by the Seahawks and 49ers and have built their team around a great defense and strong rushing attack. I boldly predict that the Rams will league the NFL in rushing attempts and yards. If they are able to lead the league in rushing yards, then I'm confident they will win games many don't expect them to win and challenge to win ten or eleven games, which would be enough to make the playoffs.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
While many will point to the Rams' selection of Michael Sam as their biggest move of the offseason, I believe it's clearly the addition of Donald.

Apples and oranges. While the Sam pick got all the press, the Donald pick blew it away in terms of impact on the football field.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
While many will point to the Rams' selection of Michael Sam as their biggest move of the offseason, I believe it's clearly the addition of Donald.

Apples and oranges. While the Sam pick got all the press, the Donald pick blew it away in terms of impact on the football field.
Just a couple and paste article from other previous ones however, a lot of what he says about Sam are true which IMO is a product of the talent/coaching he's had the last 4 years

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Just a couple and paste article from other previous ones however, a lot of what he says about Sam are true which IMO is a product of the talent/coaching he's had the last 4 years
The Sam I was referring to there was Michael Sam... not Bradford. ;)

SierraRam

Recreational User
'While many will point to the Rams' selection of Michael Sam as their biggest move of the offseason...' OK - who?

Many? nobody on this forum... I started reading the article but couldn't get past this nonsense.

Biggest off season moves:

GW in as D coordinator
Saffold Resigned
Signed Hill, Joseph, Carrington, Britt
Draft of Robinson, Donald, Joyner...

All bigger moves to Rams' fans

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What injury is Saffold recovering from? The loophole injury the Raiders came up with to void his contract? smh.

RFIP

LOL and this guy is a former Ram scout!?

Let me paraphrase for those who don't feel like wasting their time reading the whole article.

Bradford is a weak armed, injury prone QB who is weak in the pocket and under pressure.

Cook is a stud TE but the rest of the wr's suck (I know but it's not me saying it this time!)

Aaron Donald is Warren Sapp.

We have three of the four horseman in the back field!

Robinson can pass block and will get Bradford killed but he'll be a road grader in the run game and (presumably) for Shaun Hill!

Shake well, add a touch of "our division foes are the 70's Steelers" and WELLA!

What does his final thoughts say?!?!

This sad sack of a QB-less team will win ten or eleven games!!!!!!

LOL you can't make this one up!

FRO

Legend
Russ Lande is a joke. His draft info is terrible.

Again what receiver has done better since leaving Bradford. Amendola arguably got worse.

RFIP

Russ Lande is a joke. His draft info is terrible.

Again what receiver has done better since leaving Bradford. Amendola arguably got worse.

Not to mention WHO WAS AMENDOLA BEFORE SAM?

Who was Brandon Gibson? (who got a nice second deal).

Who was DX before Sam?

Clayton played better with Sam than he ever did in Baltimore too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He said Joe Barksdale struggled mightily with consistency. Everything I ever heard or read was that he was a pleasant surprise playing at RT. I do agree they will try to run the ball. And run it a lot. That will take the heat off of the passing game which still has questions. And if they can do it successfully they will win some games we might pencil in as losses.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Another day of hearing about how Sam hasn't elevated his 4th round and free agent receivers careers yet.

Throwing to an open receiver instead of throwing them open? That's how you get a 14 to 4 TD/INT ratio, but I guess if you want, as one poster put it, a startled Jake Plummer I guess he can start throwing jump balls. I like how he assumes that Fisher wants him to throw high risk passes, but he's just too scared and inaccurate.

Absolutely love this quote:

"I spoke with numerous people around the NFL this offseason, and they pointed out that with players like Austin and Cordarrelle Patterson, it's the job of the offensive coordinator to figure out a way to get the ball in their hands regularly, regardless of what issues they may have that limit their ability to fit into the offense traditionally."

I didn't speak with a damn soul and I figured that part out pretty quickly, like around 12 or 13 yrs old.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you only looked at stats, you'd feel confident that QB Sam Bradford has made big strides throughout his career and is on the verge of becoming a frontline starter in the NFL. However, when evaluating him on film, it seems clear that some of Bradford's biggest faults are still an issue.
The reverse is true here.
Sam's numbers have been pedestrian. His play on the field when evaluating game situations will show you what he's capable of.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
F- that guy. Any analysts that puts more of an emphasis on Sam than the running game is FULL OF CRAP!!! Stacy running behind Saffold and Robinson is the REAL story of our offense. It's a scape goat for avoiding the conservation that we'll overtake SeaHookers and Vaginers. This is crap...