Run Game/Passing/Run D/Pass D: Which One Will Improve the Most?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here are the cases for each:

Running Game
The "upgrade" here is (potentially) Cam Akers. He should be even healthier than he was when he made his miraculous comeback at the end of last season. Kyren Williams also could be a factor, along with Darrell Henderson. The OL is a question mark. With two new starters, will the run blocking be better, worse or the same?

Passing Game
Matthew Stafford's comfort level in the offense should only increase. He'll have a new target in Allen Robinson, who brings a huge catch radius and ability to win on 50/50 balls. OBJ late in the season is a potential factor as well. Again, with the OL, time will tell.

Run D
This was an overlooked aspect of the Super Bowl run, in my opinion. Towards the end of the year and into the playoffs, the Rams were very stingy against the run. The addition of Bobby Wagner and the continued development of Ernest Jones could help the Rams reach elite status in this aspect of the game.

Pass D
As long as we have Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd, the pass rush will remain strong. On the back end, there are several candidates at CB. It will be interesting to see who emerges. At safety, Jordan Fuller's return is a plus.

So which do you see improving the most?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both run games largely because I think they were the ones that needed the most improvement. Bobby Wager by himself upgrades the run D if he's anywhere near the player we played against. Likewise lets hope the health of our RB and the additions of Bruss and Williams help the run game out a lot.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am torn between Pass O and Run D. The additions of Bennett and BWags could be huge on both fronts.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think the Rams will still be good on both sides of the ball but I would have liked to see Sony Michel around for another year.

oldnotdead

Legend
It depends upon McVay's willingness to admit his run-play designs are fatally flawed. Either the blocking scheme needs to be changed or a true lead blocker needs to be incorporated. I don't consider a WR as a true lead blocker. They don't open a hole, they try to impede a tackler. There is a difference. If he simplifies it to strictly outside or inside zone then it would help for a while. But a power gap scheme is much harder to stop. It's why the 49ers consistently run the ball so well. They double at the POA and the lead blocker takes out the ILB springing the RB into the secondary. It forces the DC to run only zone pass defenses because of the run threat.

21 personnel still gives the QB multiple receivers, i.e. X, Z, and TE after a chip plus the RB and FB after the play fake. It's the best way to slow down a pass rush or a team that loves to blitz. McVay needs to commit to the run in his play designs as much as he does with the passing game. That is something he has yet to do.

What caught my attention was one of the UDFA. Roger Carter, played as a blocking TE at GA. But he entered the draft as a FB at 6'2" 250 lbs, he's not fast but is reputedly a willing and effective blocker. Will have to learn the nuances of playing a FB in the NFL but that should be done in OTAs and TC. He's got limited straight-line speed but has good hands as a receiver. If he indeed is a FB it will be interesting how they use him. Lining up in 21 personnel forces the defense to stack the box and that will open up things for Higbee and Robinson if the secondary doubles Kupp. Too many times Akers needed just one block to break the run. I'm hoping they indeed use Carter as a FB because it could really change this offense and make them more consistent and deadly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am excited to see our run D. I think Wagner adds something we haven’t had in a while.

It also feels; Robinson + Wagner > Von Miller for this team.

Pretty scary to think our oline is 40% new. We have a lot riding on their success.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
All good points!

The coverage has to improve otherwise our pass rush might become more limited

They traded for V Miller because of a weakness that they didn’t believe we could address in house. Our pash rush became scary good and took over games.

We need to find a more balanced way forward baring one of our year 1 or 2 Edge guys making a major jump. If our coverage improves then our pass rush improves which should balance out the major loss of V Miller

If we can tighten coverage and still force QBs to get rid of the ball early, look out, because they have continually drafted play makers and we can expect our ILBs to play lights out fantastic in the short to intermediate zones as well as against the run

This is an interesting article that relates to my point

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, the Rams Offensive Line with the new additions are still going to be better at pass blocking then run blocking. Noteboom is better in pass protection, but has improved his run blocking and new RG Logan Bruss excelled at pass blocking at Wisconsin although playing Guard he should offer something in the run game too.

The run defense should be better because of the additions of Wagner plus having Ernest Jones and A'Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines and big bad Bobby Brown I expect the Run Defense to be vastly improved. RB Kyren Williams will be an upgrade in pass protection and being a former WR, will really offer something coming out of the backfield too. Anxious to see how TE's Blanton & Hopkins develop as they answered the call in post season, so I expect the growth to continue.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m going to change your question just a bit, and present it as a hope. I hope that our offensive run game will improve the most for many reasons…not the least of which is keeping Mr Stafford upright and healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Run D for sure. It was solid and came on late and was indeed a big part of winning it all. Then they added Wagner.

They knew once Von left the rush would be less so they switched gears and beefed the run defense and drafted secondary help so even with less of a rush the defense might end up being very stout.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to think the run defense is most improved over the entirety of the season. However, it will be difficult to improve much over what we saw in the playoffs and in WINNING THE FUCKING SUPERBOWL!!!! YEAH BABY!

I really think McVay wants to vastly improve the rushing offense. So my hope is to see that vastly improved. I'm just not sure I see enough of a significant change there. We all want me to be wrong.

Pass defense is going to be interesting. We will be needing a lot of unknowns (to us fans) step up for it to improve. I see us being slightly degraded there but again, I don't know what the coaches think of our MANY young players in the backfield and at OLB/EDGE.

Our pass offense may very well be improved. With the addition of Robinson, potential of Bruss, very little LT pass blocking drop off, Staff with another year in the system, and a possible new receiving threat coming out of the backfield on 3rd downs, we could see a significant improvement. I'm just not convinced we will put up much more yardage. I think the real goal is going to be more points and that I could see ramping up.
Al l in all, I still see run defense as being the most improved on a consistent basis.

They traded for V Miller because of a weakness that they didn’t believe we could address in house. Our pash rush became scary good and took over games.
Tough to say. This current regime never seems to be reluctant to pull the trigger on any player within reach that can be an improvement. Obviously Von is a rare player that is an improvement over virtually any edge in the league. Does that mean McVay & Co don't think that the guys we had/have CAN'T step up? I don't think any of us really know. Do the Rams even think they need that edge that most fans seem to think we need? Is edge last year's center debate where we clearly valued an upgrade at center more than the regime considered the need? Did they decide that a player like Wagz in the middle is an equal upgrade to Von on the edge?

It's going to be interesting to see it play out.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I am not sure but I think our Run D is what I’ll be looking to most of all. With A’Shawn and Wagner we should be solid, barring serious injury.

My biggest wish is either Garrett or Hardy becoming a solid edge option. If we can develop them, we will be very good.

Our O is fine, except I’m not sure our run blocking is up to par. I think we need help there.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What caught my attention was one of the UDFA. Roger Carter, played as a blocking TE at GA. But he entered the draft as a FB at 6'2" 250 lbs, he's not fast but is reputedly a willing and effective blocker. Will have to learn the nuances of playing a FB in the NFL but that should be done in OTAs and TC. He's got limited straight-line speed but has good hands as a receiver. If he indeed is a FB it will be interesting how they use him. Lining up in 21 personnel forces the defense to stack the box and that will open up things for Higbee and Robinson if the secondary doubles Kupp. Too many times Akers needed just one block to break the run. I'm hoping they indeed use Carter as a FB because it could really change this offense and make them more consistent and deadly.
Carter was waived today.

He will, however, be starring in the next ESPN 30 for 30 seconds.

Ram65

Legend
BWagz and Jones are going to help the run defense. They should be a big help to the pass defense too. The Rams have had trouble covering the short middle and short edges too. Both are hard-working smart players that will be well prepared to defend both the run and pass. They could help improve both areas on defense.

I think the offensive line will surprise with run blocking. McVay and Carberry will figure out how to help them with a tweak or two in blocking. Having healthy running backs will also help the run game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Excellent thread topic and some great posts made, too.

Honestly, I think a good case could be made that all 4 areas could have net upgrades over our SB roster.

But which one will be most improved? Who knows? And who cares, really?

If forced to pick just one I would say passing O.

Stafford’s 2nd year in evolving system. Let that sink in for just a minute.
Addition of Robinson is beyond huge. AR will thrive as a target for Stafford and be virtually uncoverable.
Jefferson should be fine until OBJ returns in November and this year OBJ will not need a learning curve.
From November through playoffs Rams will deploy 3 uncoverable WR’s on every play. Goodness.
Bruss will be a slight upgrade in pass pro over Corbett. There, I said it.
Williams will be an improvement over Hendy in both pass pro and pass receiving in his limited snaps.

Add all of this up and I see a scary good O for Rams this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All depends on how well the new OL holds up.

Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has always had good OL play - the only season we didn't was 2019 until the last five games, and had more to do with injuries than anything. Other than that stretch, our OL has always been good, so not worried about it.

This team is going to be scary. No weaknesses anywhere now with Akers and Wagner.