Run game looks good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Did I miss this discussion? Out of all the things that we've seen this preseason that's been "consistent" is really well blocked run plays.

Of course, the worrier in me thinks that McVay won't run enough of them but I'm really heartened by them and hope they keep it up when the regular season starts.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
havent seen too much of gurley but cant complain so far. teams will stack the box until they cant :p

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
There have been some hiccups on the right side but there was substantial improvement from Fisher's middle school offense. I expect Gurley to be running on the left side often. At least Whitworth/Saffold/Sullivan can get the job done consistently.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There have been some hiccups on the right side but there was substantial improvement from Fisher's middle school offense. I expect Gurley to be running on the left side often. At least Whitworth/Saffold/Sullivan can get the job done consistently.
I'm not sure but I think most teams run more to there right than there left so if we do the opposite that can't hurt!
Can anyone tell me what the average is League-wide on this subject!!? Right? Left? Up the middle?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

And about the time teams stack the left side hit em with a run to the right from the same formation as the left side runs.

Ram65

Legend
Did I miss this discussion? Out of all the things that we've seen this preseason that's been "consistent" is really well blocked run plays.

Of course, the worrier in me thinks that McVay won't run enough of them but I'm really heartened by them and hope they keep it up when the regular season starts.

I think your worries will be unfounded. McVay knows the value of the play action pass. Consider Goff is young and new to the offense the run game will be his best friend. Look at the Raiders game as a great example of the benefits of running the ball. IIRC McVay said he wanted to be more balanced on offense referring to his days with the Skins. They didn't have the benefit of Todd Gurley. Last year the Skins were 61.56 pass to 38.44 run. These percentages depend on game circumstances to a certain extend. I would like to see 55/45 ratio or something close to that. The real test is being able to run when you need to.

http://fftoday.com/stats/16_run_pass_ratios.html

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
It does, the O line looks good. Hope my boy J Davis can get some reps and hold on to the ball.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It does, the O line looks good. Hope my boy J Davis can get some reps and hold on to the ball.

The Rams need a 3rd down back. Brown shows a lot of power . Tavon Austin is another added feature as well .

I think Sam Rogers is going to be cut because of his lack of speed.Has a The hustle in the world. A real good young man.

Agree about McVay about his time with Washington. All he has to go & do is look at game tape of his rookie year of game calling. He just dominated The Rams with the Run Game.
The Rams could not stop them. T. Williams ran all over Robert Quinn. D. Williams had no answer, & Foles only had one real chance to bring The Rams back.
He beat Fisher at his own game.The power run game is so cool when it is working right. It does show a dominance.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In malcolm brown's recent interview with Dani, he said he's really worked on pass pro.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In malcolm brown's recent interview with Dani, he said he's really worked on pass pro.

McVY said Davies has improved & showed willingness to pass pro . Was not afraid to put his face in there.,

Hemmingway getting hurt really sucked

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm odd again, I have not seen a well blocked running game yet.
I'm with you. They appeared to try running right against starting d, and it was pretty disasterous. Don't recall any running left.
Against backups with backups it looked better. Not sure what that tells us.
TE blocking didn't look great across the board.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
8 Runs in a row against Chargers mostly starting defense and was very successful.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The run game remains a big question mark for this offense. They were "solid" against the Raiders, but got their @$$e$ handed to them vs the Chargers when their starting DL was in (the DL was pulled before the LBs). Runs to the right faced penetration and there was very little push or gaps to be seen overall.

Truth is it's been a mixed bag and we don't know whether the run game will be there or to what extent they can rely on it. Chances are though it still is going to come back to the ability of the passing game to dictate, to eliminate defenses run/pass blitzing the F out of the line.

IMO we're not going to really know for sure what we have on offense until somewhere around week 8 and the bye. Because at that point we'll have played all NFC West opponents and will have a half season's production to refer to. It's going to probably be up and down tbh, too, where they might look really good weeks 1 and 2 (Colts and Skins) only to fall back to earth in SF and Dallas. Basically we just gotta buckle our seatbelts and hold the F on, because this is going to be a crazy season.

JRobinson

MiLB
IMO we're not going to really know for sure what we have on offense until somewhere around week 8 and the bye. Because at that point we'll have played all NFC West opponents and will have a half season's production to refer to. It's going to probably be up and down tbh, too, where they might look really good weeks 1 and 2 (Colts and Skins) only to fall back to earth in SF and Dallas. Basically we just gotta buckle our seatbelts and hold the F on, because this is going to be a crazy season.

I get your logic Merlin, really, I do. But I tell you what, we better know what we have before week 8, because every defense that we play against will surely know. There is plenty of film on what McVay was doing in Washington and will want to do with the Rams. It obviously won't be completely identical, but it will definitely be close to what resembles Washington's offense.

It will be an up and down roller coaster of events this year with everything that has taken place. But, I trust and feel that our coaching staff has a very good idea of what we are going to look like on both sides of the ball; even now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get your logic Merlin, really, I do. But I tell you what, we better know what we have before week 8, because every defense that we play against will surely know. There is plenty of film on what McVay was doing in Washington and will want to do with the Rams. It obviously won't be completely identical, but it will definitely be close to what resembles Washington's offense.

It will be an up and down roller coaster of events this year with everything that has taken place. But, I trust and feel that our coaching staff has a very good idea of what we are going to look like on both sides of the ball; even now.

From what I'm seeing these guys look like they're going to need time to settle in on the OL. Just too many questions and defenses are going to attack them. Same deal at QB, I love Goff but the kid might get beat up a bit early on while things settle and we'll have some rookie moments undoubtedly. I wish I could say the run game was ready to go, but like everything else we just don't know.

That roller coaster you insinuate (which I agree with) is going to result in a crazy swing of positive and negative among the faithful week to week. So even though we should see an improved offense, which I think we can bank on of course, these guys are going to be a work in progress through much of the season. Week 8 is just a guess, a milestone I think we can look at as a last resort, where good or bad we'll know what we have for sure.

Remember the league changes around week 6. That's when the pretenders start to fall. I've seen plenty of teams and offenses look good in the first quarter or so of the season only to get exposed over a bigger sample size. Our own Rams, as a matter of fact, that started 5-0 in STL were a good example of that. As I said, we're gonna have to strap in.

JRobinson

MiLB
From what I'm seeing these guys look like they're going to need time to settle in on the OL. Just too many questions and defenses are going to attack them. Same deal at QB, I love Goff but the kid might get beat up a bit early on while things settle and we'll have some rookie moments undoubtedly. I wish I could say the run game was ready to go, but like everything else we just don't know.

Yeah, and we both that it's mainly the right side of the line that has the question marks. I think it's pretty clear that the left side, including the Sullivan, are ready to go. As any NFL team, health is going to be the primary concern for this entire unit. Can I just say again how much Witworth means to this team.... seriously.

That roller coaster you insinuate (which I agree with) is going to result in a crazy swing of positive and negative among the faithful week to week. So even though we should see an improved offense, which I think we can bank on of course, these guys are going to be a work in progress through much of the season. Week 8 is just a guess, a milestone I think we can look at as a last resort, where good or bad we'll know what we have for sure.

A work in progress for sure. But I'm not gonna count out the potential that they could be good in a short amount of time. One thing that I would like to see that I haven't seen in a while is halftime adjustments by the coaching staff. If I had to bet today whether or not our staff is going to be able to do this, I would say yes.

Remember the league changes around week 6. That's when the pretenders start to fall. I've seen plenty of teams and offenses look good in the first quarter or so of the season only to get exposed over a bigger sample size. Our own Rams, as a matter of fact, that started 5-0 in STL were a good example of that. As I said, we're gonna have to strap in.

Agreed here. This league is about consistency, the ability to game plan successfully, and execute on a week to week basis. Knowing the trends of the opposition is obviously paramount.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like the can run to the left better. Gurley looks showed some patience and power. McVay can show some nice balance to keep defenses honest. Throw in some quick passes to Kupp and Woods. Burn them deep with Watkins and the others. There is going to more options this year. Hopefully Tavon gets some carries and fakes. Like Goff said stay ahead of the chains and good things will happen.