Rule Change

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The NRL cracked down hard on the hip drop tackle last season. The predictable whining from players and public ensued .... what are players supposed to do, the game is going soft, dribble, dribble.

Fast forward to this season and we haven't seen a hip drop tackle yet. After 3 weeks of play.

Correction, there has been one hip drop tackle. The player is out for 6 weeks with an ankle injury.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Kupp and Bradford were both injured and missed games from hip drop tackles. Now some of you are against eliminating this tackling method?

Psycho_X

Legend
Kupp and Bradford were both injured and missed games from hip drop tackles. Now some of you are against eliminating this tackling method?
Agreed, good riddance to it. Almost all the examples I saw there was no reason the linebackers couldn't wrap up and try to drive through the player making a normal tackle. The only reason they don't is because it takes more effort, skill, and strength.

I am scared about how the refs will judge it though from one instance to the next. I have no faith in refs being consistent anymore.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Agreed, good riddance to it. Almost all the examples I saw there was no reason the linebackers couldn't wrap up and try to drive through the player making a normal tackle. The only reason they don't is because it takes more effort, skill, and strength.

I am scared about how the refs will judge it though from one instance to the next. I have no faith in refs being consistent anymore.
Honestly, I have no trepidation at all with the application of this rule. It's a sinister tackling method applied by bad people who can't form tackle. It's easy to spot when it happens.

Needs to be an ejection and suspension equal in length to the victim's missed games.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
With this new hip drop tackle would a flag been thrown on this play?

Many replays in the second half of the video.

View: https://youtu.be/R3eukxNnm0M?si=1PFa5hJZxJugoL6D

"The Tackle" was one of the most impressive text book form tackles in the history of football.
Not sure how that tackle can in any way shape or form be mistaken for the martial arts move that breaks legs and incapacitates ones enemy.

Look here the 1:22 mark. Even Rugby players are celebrating this nefarious tactic being removed from their sport.

View: https://youtu.be/A-2It7gj-Ek?si=ucobfl3kCun5luXr&t=82

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Question on this new KO rules. Can you have two return men deep?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
"The Tackle" was one of the most impressive text book form tackles in the history of football.
Not sure how that tackle can in any way shape or form be mistaken for the martial arts move that breaks legs and incapacitates ones enemy.

Look here the 1:22 mark. Even Rugby players are celebrating this nefarious tactic being removed from their sport.

View: https://youtu.be/A-2It7gj-Ek?si=ucobfl3kCun5luXr&t=82

Yeah that is horrible.

They may be preventing that but if you read the rule it seems to "maybe" fit The Tackle also.

It will be a judgement call that yet many fans will cry about. One way or the other.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Yeah that is horrible.

They may be preventing that but if you read the rule it seems to "maybe" fit The Tackle also.

It will be a judgement call that yet many fans will cry about. One way or the other.
Not quite. Jones never gets his legs tangled up underneath the runner and puts him in the spin cycle. It violated the first two rules, but not the third:

View: https://youtu.be/EVKfgYd4j_0?si=NU3GoWYG112eyxEX

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Not quite. Jones never gets his legs tangled up underneath the runner and puts him in the spin cycle. It violated the first two rules, but not the third:

View: https://youtu.be/EVKfgYd4j_0?si=NU3GoWYG112eyxEX

Not quite what? I am not going to get caught up in the fray here.

I am just saying it is a judgement call. Some will be close. I have clearly been doubtful about The Tackle being that. But it is a judgement call now.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Not quite what? I am not going to get caught up in the fray here.

I am just saying it is a judgement call. Some will be close. I have clearly been doubtful about The Tackle being that. But it is a judgement call now.
The third part of the rule states: “And then lands on and traps the runner’s leg(s) at or below the knees.”

At no point does Jones land on or trap the knees. He had a hand on the hip which was being tackled. Compare that to Kupp, and it’s obvious what is a penalty and a dangerous play, and what is not.

View: https://youtu.be/SsH31VvNaAQ?si=ma_QHKBb8PqoI6Wd

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The third part of the rule states: “And then lands on and traps the runner’s leg(s) at or below the knees.”

At no point does Jones land on or trap the knees. He had a hand on the hip which was being tackled. Compare that to Kupp, and it’s obvious what is a penalty and a dangerous play, and what is not.

View: https://youtu.be/SsH31VvNaAQ?si=ma_QHKBb8PqoI6Wd

I really need to stop participating on these boards.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
I hate the hip drop tackle.
It's bush league bullshit. It's seriously injuring players and ruining careers.
It's a lot of things.
One thing it isn't, is "sport".
Form tackle your opponent or find another sport.

Spearing with the crown of the helmet, horse-collar tackles, body slamming....None of that shit is sport. It's stupidity.
The hip drop tackle is weak ass, cop-out bullshit for the less athletic, scumbag, cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-assed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed, aren't good enough to form tackle sack of monkey shit players that use it.
Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

I can't believe anyone is in favor of allowing the bullshit play to stay in football.

View attachment 64965
The stats said this type of tackle was 20+ times more dangerous than a regular tackle, they had to get rid of it.