Round Two: Tackling Rams' needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Don Reed
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/round-two-tackling-rams-needs/article_cf3e368c-89c3-5b6b-a5f0-ca6766eaef0d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... aef0d.html</a>

TODAY'S QUESTION:

Is it just me or does it seem petty for Rodger Saffold (or his agent) to be complaining about the Rams upgrading with Jake Long at left tackle and moving Saffold to right tackle? How is the team supposed to get better if every time they get a chance to sign a top player, someone else wants to be traded or is unhappy about it?

BERNIE MIKLASZ:

Let's go to the numbers ...

The Rams have run 2,015 regular-season plays from scrimmage over the past two seasons.

Because of injuries R. Saffold has missed just under 40 percent of the total snaps over 2011-2012 combined.

I'm not sure why the big fellow — or his agent — feel entitled to automatic ownership of the left OT position.

It's not as if Saffold's presence at left OT was automatic in 2011, 2012.

JEFF GORDON:

Rodger Saffold did an OK job at left tackle. That is it. If he really wants to create a showdown, perhaps his biggest contribution in 2013 will be showing the others what happens when you cross Jeff Fisher.

STEVE OVERBEY (Freelance sports writer):

I think this is more about the position switch to RT than anything. Saffold has put in three solid seasons on the left side and is likely uncomfortable about changing spots. Can't blame him there. But this is a business and he must bear down and make the transition without complaining. This the final year of his contract, the most important season of his career financially, and he's got to roll with the punches. With several talented right tackles available in the upcoming draft, Saffold could be expendable although the team would rather keep him. His attitude and work ethic starting Monday with voluntary workouts should help clarify the situation.

DAVE LUECKING (moundcitysports.com):

Either Rodger Saffold is getting bad advice from his agent and should hire a new one, or he needs a serious reality check. Earning big money playing football, he's much better off than the average schmoe making next to nothing or looking for a job and worrying about, say, eating and feeding his/her children. People are sick of pro athletes complaining, when folks in more noble professions and the unemployed struggle to get by. If someone was paying me a kabillion dollars and told me to jump, I'd ask how high and then do it. Whatever it takes, wherever it takes me, as Jerry Seinfeld once said.

ANDY STRICKLAND (KFNS radio host):

The Rams, in reality, haven't won a thing in years yet they have individuals who want to put themselves ahead of what's best for the organization. They need players whose only concern is about winning. Rodger Saffold has some potential but the idea he's done enough to dictate where he should play shows a lack of maturity on his part. This is where agents do their clients a disservice by telling them what they want to hear vs. what they need to hear. The Rams won't be adjusting their plans to appease Rodger Saffold and the fact he'd even consider creating drama is comical. Remember the player who used to say I'll do whatever it takes to help the team win?