Roster move prediction for WR Thomas return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tavon isn't going anywhere. If they keep Thomas, my guess is that they cut a DB since Thomas would take that core special teams job.

Could be, did not see much of Countess today, but they have 10 offensive linemen and Lucas was on the street, so I'm betting he's been inactive every week and unless they really like his upside I could see them releasing him and adding him to the practice squad.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Dude's back from his suspension now, let's hear some predictions on roster moves!

My bet is that even though it looks like they'll pull from the defensive side, they're gonna keep it on the O side of the ball. IMO the Tavon trade I've been unsuccessfully predicting all offseason will finally happen this week.

At this point Tavon is far too important to our run game.

James Otto

Starter
Austin is going to rush for 500 yards this year. No doubt in my mind. He will get more and more involved and provide relief to Gurley's huge touch load once he gets situated completely in the offense.

Just wait until McVay starts lining up Gurley and Austin in the backfield - together :)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kudos to the OP. Great question!
I think tavon has taken the #rb job so Thomas in effect would be wr #6
Don’t know where we are heavy

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I disagree. Our run game right now is starting to click on every level. The OL and now more importantly the skill position players are executing their assignments. They do not need the threat of Tavon holding the back side, and furthermore he's not the only player capable of taking a jet sweep for the obligatory 8-10 yards or whatever he's getting.

Now I agree it's unlikely they move Tavon, but at this point I figure I might as well continue to ride that "trade" bandwagon.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I disagree. Our run game right now is starting to click on every level. The OL and now more importantly the skill position players are executing their assignments. They do not need the threat of Tavon holding the back side, and furthermore he's not the only player capable of taking a jet sweep for the obligatory 8-10 yards or whatever he's getting.

Now I agree it's unlikely they move Tavon, but at this point I figure I might as well continue to ride that "trade" bandwagon.

Did you watch today's game against the Cowboys?

Jason Garrett tried some similar plays using Switzer. . . they sure weren't as productive as Tavon.

It is completely asinine to ignore what Tavon brings to this offense. McVay is just starting to realize it! No way does that Todd Gurley TD happen if it's Pharoah Cooper running the fake jet sweep.

James Otto

Starter

Sorry, but you are wrong here. You cannot just plug anybody into Tavon's role and expect the same result. He is a DC's nightmare. Go watch his runs from today - few players can wiggle and maneuver like that.

You are grossly oversimplifying Tavon's impact, and also disregarding the very complex though process going on in McVay's mind.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is completely asinine to ignore what Tavon brings to this offense.

I am not ignoring what he brings to this offense. I acknowledge he brings some things to this offense, but I simply don't value those things as much as you do. And I don't buy the coach speak that McVay's serving up on it.

Now IF, five games from now, his share of the offense increases greatly and he is putting up yards and TDs, I will gladly eat crow. But I don't think that's the way this thing is trending. We will see if I'm right and it certainly won't be the first time if I'm wrong.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Kudos to the OP. Great question!
I think tavon has taken the #rb job so Thomas in effect would be wr #6
Don’t know where we are heavy

Running back if you count Tavon. Isn’t Dunbar coming back this week?

Gurley
Brown
Davis
Austin
Dunbar

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not ignoring what he brings to this offense. I acknowledge he brings some things to this offense, but I simply don't value those things as much as you do. And I don't buy the coach speak that McVay's serving up on it.

Now IF, five games from now, his share of the offense increases greatly and he is putting up yards and TDs, I will gladly eat crow. But I don't think that's the way this thing is trending. We will see if I'm right and it certainly won't be the first time if I'm wrong.

Duuuude.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If you watched Tavon today and how he REALLY changes things for this offense you would be silly to trade him. He's starting to have an impact with the ball. He already has a big one just being on the field.
Trading Tavon to give Thomas a spot would be insane, IMO. Said it before and will again, there is nobody on the team that can do what he does.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Thomas is insurance for next year if for some reason they cant sign Watkins. I would think he and Reynolds would try to play Watkins' role.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Or any chance they can trade Thomas even if for only a 6th or 7th? Maybe a conditional pick?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Is it me or is Tavon being used in the Skins Thompson role?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He is huge in helping the running game, and not just when he carries it (although he had some very good plays today.) I want to give him and McVay a chance to see whether he can round into a similar role in the passing game. Too soon to say he can't do it. Remember when Goff was a bust too, and this year was about maybe waiting for Kirk Cousins? (looking at you Peter King.) Austin was also certainly hurt by missing all of training camp when reps were really critical to learning the new passing scheme and getting timing down with Goff.

Now that we finally have playmakers on the field let's not be so eager to get rid of them. IMO they would be foolish to trade Austin now unless someone offered a player they could not turn down, which is not going to happen.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's try this from another angle... what team right now in the league would trade for Austin? Oddly enough, I think his best fit would be in Seattle but that's not happening.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Let's slow our roll with Thomas right now... He hasn't been practicing ..and still his blunders last years in real games are his only real game experience..

Thomas would be behind Reynolds on the depth chart right now.... Pharoe has been shaky but you aren't going to let him go for a guy that hasn't even been practicing... I think we'll move an O-lineman or a defensive guy off the roster for Thomas and let him get back up to speed..

right now moving Tavon makes no sense...he has a role as a change of pace RB who can catch the ball..and return punts...for now that's cool..