Roster flexibility

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thinking about the Rams D in particular. The group is talented and deeper than it has been in forever.
Running the traditional 4/3/4 out there and the Rams have several elite level play makers on the D.
It gets interesting when you start thinking about how Williams can get guys on the field.
I could see a 5 man Dline with Long/Fairley/Brockers/Donald/Quinn with Ogletree and JL at the LB spots. I could see a "blitz" package with the 4 Dlineman, Ogletree, Ayers and LB and Barron coming in in his "rover" position.
The depth in the D back field is really emerging. Very exciting stuff there.
On the Oline several guys have the ability to add versatile depth. Jones, Reynolds, Saffold, Barnes and Washington that can play multiple spots. Flexibility seems to be areal focus with this roster.
On D Williams should have plenty of ways to get guys on the field. When you can have guys with the talent of Johnson, Roberson at CB and Joyner, Barron and Alexander competing for spots/time....well, compared to just a couple of years ago the depth is fantastic.
I like the idea of a 5 D man front to mix in a different look and Barron on the field with Ogletree and Ayers.
On O Cook is a guy that can be used different ways. Austin should be, but, we will see.
Any thoughts about D and O personal packages?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice topic.

For me the big unknown is how we intend to use Barron and Alexander.

The whole heavy nikel thing. I'm not sure we used it to the fullest last season as it seemed more conceptual then. Anxious to see if it evolves into a more used package.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I like the 5 d line set for max rush without having to bring the house.With Tree and Ayers at the Lb position we lots of speed and I think Barron will see the field a lot this year with his versatility.The cb are solid and we're deep everywhere honestly I wouldn't be surprised if our D finished #1 overall.We have the talent were returning all starters and it will be their 2nd year in the same system.Aside from that ugly game vs the giants they were giving us a glimpse at what the defense can do towards the end of the season.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the 5 d line set for max rush without having to bring the house.With Tree and Ayers at the Lb position we lots of speed and I think Barron will see the field a lot this year with his versatility.The cb are solid and we're deep everywhere honestly I wouldn't be surprised if our D finished #1 overall.We have the talent were returning all starters and it will be their 2nd year in the same system.Aside from that ugly game vs the giants they were giving us a glimpse at what the defense can do towards the end of the season.
I like the 5 D line set to mix in vs a team like SF who has a very mobile QB who struggles adapting (as a passer) to the rush. I think the coach in SF is just gonna let Kap do what he did two years ago....tuck and run plenty. I like the 5 man line because they are all athletic. Long and Quinn can maintain contain pretty well and force Kap to step up in the pocket. Donald, Fairley and Brockers (or Hayes) will generate a rush. You could even have Ayers or Ogletree spying Kap. SF would be forced to keep the RB in to block and probably the TE also. Our pass rush vs. his ability to find the open guy quickly.
The risk there is an inside run with a LB out of position opens a lot of green space potentially.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Don't forget about Christian Bryant. I think he takes Cody Davis' spot as the backup free safety. A guy who can play slot cornerback, free safety, and special teams well? That's the kind of guy I want to keep. Kudos to @Mackeyser for calling Bryant completely.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Nice topic.

For me the big unknown is how we intend to use Barron and Alexander.

The whole heavy nikel thing. I'm not sure we used it to the fullest last season as it seemed more conceptual then. Anxious to see if it evolves into a more used package.
I can imagine a heavy nickel set with McDonald, Barron, and Alexander.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't forget about Christian Bryant. I think he takes Cody Davis' spot as the backup free safety. A guy who can play slot cornerback, free safety, and special teams well? That's the kind of guy I want to keep. Kudos to @Mackeyser for calling Bryant completely.

Maybe:cautious: but the size of Cody Davis where he has over 4 1/2 inches on Bryant & Cody's 4.37 in 40 is pretty special. Bryant is not slow either but not close to Cody's range. I posted earlier on Bryant in a very positive way & feel he could be a surprise 53 master roster maker.

What I am waiting to see is if he can remain healthy:(. Fact is Bryant has some serious durability concerns with a laundry list of injuries that forced him to miss playing time, including a foot infection (2010), shoulder injury (2011) and a broken left ankle (Oct. 2013) :eek:that ended his college career. Hopefully here in August of 2015 all that is behind him(y).

Could young talented super low cost strong safeties C.B. Bryant & Mo Alexander make the high cost often injured soon to be UFA, Mark Barron available for trade for future draft picks:bueller:?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'ma piggy-back on @CGI_Ram ...with a twist...Get Barron on the damn field! TJ & Mark....Let them both get comfortable as the deep single high safety....and leave them out there...Get Mo Alexander ready to play both spots too....No moar missed tackles!!!!

I think simplicity is usually the best policy @fearsomefour with the offensive & defensive personnel....If you have talent, line up and see if the opponent can beat you while you are performing at your best...Trickery usually comes with and results in silly mistakes from overthinking things....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Could young talented super low cost strong safeties C.B. Bryant & Mo Alexander make the high cost often injured soon to be UFA, Mark Barron available for trade for future draft picks:bueller:?
I hope not Boni....I'm never interested in getting rid of talent....We got Barron, now lets use him and turn him into the superstar he's supposed to be...Esp. if he likes our defense....We were 17th in the league in defense....I'm not looking at this D through rose colored glasses....Replace under performing players with better players...thats how it's always been done. We allowed 100+ yards rushing a game...Put Barron on the field...Dude was a 1st round pick for a reason.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thinking about the Rams D in particular. The group is talented and deeper than it has been in forever.
Running the traditional 4/3/4 out there and the Rams have several elite level play makers on the D.
It gets interesting when you start thinking about how Williams can get guys on the field.
I could see a 5 man Dline with Long/Fairley/Brockers/Donald/Quinn with Ogletree and JL at the LB spots. I could see a "blitz" package with the 4 Dlineman, Ogletree, Ayers and LB and Barron coming in in his "rover" position.
The depth in the D back field is really emerging. Very exciting stuff there.
On the Oline several guys have the ability to add versatile depth. Jones, Reynolds, Saffold, Barnes and Washington that can play multiple spots. Flexibility seems to be areal focus with this roster.
On D Williams should have plenty of ways to get guys on the field. When you can have guys with the talent of Johnson, Roberson at CB and Joyner, Barron and Alexander competing for spots/time....well, compared to just a couple of years ago the depth is fantastic.
I like the idea of a 5 D man front to mix in a different look and Barron on the field with Ogletree and Ayers.
On O Cook is a guy that can be used different ways. Austin should be, but, we will see.
Any thoughts about D and O personal packages?

Didn't the Giants (when Spagnuolo was DC) run 5 man fronts a lot? They had so much talent up there for awhile.

The 5 man front you mention would be unblockable and if they had the LB's to support it and make the checkdown hard to hit this defense would be nearly impossible to throw on.......meaning the times the QB was able to get rid of it before being sacked of course :)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Remember when Rams starting safeties were Mike Furry and Michael Hawthorne? Glad those days are over.

iced

I can easily see Ayers taking Barron's spot in "Big nickle" - more versatile... people keep saying he took Dunbar's spot - I think he did that and took some snaps from Barron

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Maybe:cautious: but the size of Cody Davis where he has over 4 1/2 inches on Bryant & Cody's 4.37 in 40 is pretty special. Bryant is not slow either but not close to Cody's range. I posted earlier on Bryant in a very positive way & feel he could be a surprise 53 master roster maker.

What I am waiting to see is if he can remain healthy:(. Fact is Bryant has some serious durability concerns with a laundry list of injuries that forced him to miss playing time, including a foot infection (2010), shoulder injury (2011) and a broken left ankle (Oct. 2013) :eek:that ended his college career. Hopefully here in August of 2015 all that is behind him(y).

I'm thinking that perhaps Bryant can more than make up the size differential vs Cody Davis with his instincts and coverage skill advantage, Bonifay.

One camp reporter commented on his "stickiness" in coverage.

I think that both Bryant and Alexander are included in Ram long term plans. Possibly, as you have suggested, as starters in the near future.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think the flexibility along the offensive front is a bit overlooked as well. Saffold, Donnal, Jones, Barnes and Brown all have the ability to play multiple spots up front. There are plenty of guys capable of filling any holes that hopefully never materialize.

On defense; I think that Mo and Barron go hand in hand. Both those guys are Safeties that can be brought up in the box and blitz or play the run like LB. Ogletree is also super athletic in that regard. Bryant has been getting reps as a CB too, which should help hone his coverage skills.

I realize a lot of these young guys have shown nothing more than potential, but I really like the potential shown. Plus it's been years since we've had even that much to get amped up about!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I was'nt aware of Ayers size along with his speed he has shown and on a blitz if given a hole could almost be unblockable by todays snmaller RB's some teams use. Please don't jump me for just one negative comment. I want all of our blitzing LB's S's or whatever combo Williams wants to run. I want THAT guy to be fast enough to get to the QB before he can throw PERIOD. Don't think the great JL as he has proven can now get there. (SORRY) JMHO. I know Ogletree especially with wingspan will get there or block or tip pass along with Ayers who can even bull rush if not a direct opening and cause a FF or TFL or sack and of course Barron up near the LOS also.

Not that our DE's or DT's especially now with Aaron Donald able to almost walk on water (Man he should rain down HELL on offenses). Brockers will have many man on man situations this season just due to Aaron Donald's skillset and teams needing to even try to double plus chip him. I worry about our DE's head hunting QB's and the resulting edges I've seen them give up with Long especially not able to do both (rush and set edge.).

I wish we had more info on the Foot injury of our CB . If its a tear we may not have him much this season and will cause some changes we did'nt anticipate. Whatever the outcome it will come down to how much pain our guy can tolerate and still compete at a high level. Thats just bottom line. I'm obviously the only one who has seen McGee out of Miami play with skills that in his second season should have slowed down and he should be able to Flash unless his slightness in size will constantly bring nicks and dings. Many slight CB's have flourished in our league so its individual basis.

Foles is basically right now a first read success guy. Warner could hit his 4th or even 5th read if flushed. The speed at which your eyes read and move. Don't know how Weinke can improve this skill except those lighted hand eye coordination boards or continue bringing the heat every practice till we see improvement. I think we throw everything at this offense everyday to cause the Refiners Fire . The line will catch hell in the Film Room and we can weed out dead wood much faster. Battle gets a break being so new to things but must show he's improving for the future. They will battle and if we see heads hanging we can address that too. What does'nt kill them will make them stronger. Plus going through it together is building One Hell of a major Bond with our final starting Five OL.

Center as always is my key position and smarts being first and not being able to be Bull rushed as easily as it has been is just KEY to me. Centers on our team are gonna need help from one of the OG's but teams attacking our Pivot weakness will throw confusing stunts to blow up the inside gaps thus putting hands on Foles very,very quickly. I know Coach O does'nt put much stock in 1 on 1 drills against a center. Yet we need 1 of our 3 prospects to handle bull rushes MUCH better. Much more leg exercises with heavier weights as all three are weak in leg strength. This is work that should have been prioritized off season. When to panic? Lets see how the plowboys rush us up the middle. Is it just our DL?

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't the Giants (when Spagnuolo was DC) run 5 man fronts a lot? They had so much talent up there for awhile.

The 5 man front you mention would be unblockable and if they had the LB's to support it and make the checkdown hard to hit this defense would be nearly impossible to throw on.......meaning the times the QB was able to get rid of it before being sacked of course :)
Yeah, I think you are right with Spags running a 5 man D front.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not see the Ram defense playing five DL'ers myself. The addition of OLB Ayers will provide Gregg some big options from the blitz.

Ayers can bring the heat from the LB'er position. Rams so much talent now @ DE that in passing situations this 4 player DL should raise the heat in the backfield to temps close to Hell itself.

I expect Gregg to use his talent big safeties as much as possible to give the offense something they usually don't see much elsewhere. If the super playmaker Barron remains healthy there just no way you keep him on the sideline. Barron as we saw in cameo opportunities can flash to the QB at Quinn speed when he blitzes.