Roster cuts/trades around the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh. I wonder if he just never got strong enough or if it was a health thing. I always expected he would come around.
Not me...Ha always seemed to be a Weak sister on the Oline...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh. I thought that he would be a good pick for the Saints. Shows how much I know, haha. :p

Saints fans say he’s been destroyed by injuries, just doesn’t have any speed or burst.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/sn_ohio/status/1035582678224044032?s=21

If the Browns get Mack to pair with Garrett ..... well, I suppose they will still be the Browns.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_are_expected_to_explore.html

Browns expected to inquire about trading for Khalil Mack, source says
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are expected to inquire about trading for Raiders premier defensive end Khalil Mack, a league source told cleveland.com.

During a conference call on Friday afternoon, coach Hue Jackson also didn't slam the door shut on the Browns' making a blockbuster move over the weekend.

"Oh, like a splash or something like that?" Jackson said in regards to a general question about adding big-name players in the next few days. "It'd be hard for us to do, but nothing's out of the question. Nothing's off the table. I think we'll definitely look at everything, and if we think it fits for our organization and football team, we'll certainly do it.

Jackson wasn't asked specifically asked about Mack, because he's not permitted by league rule to comment on acquiring players from another team. But he made it clear the Browns will continue to aggressively improve the roster.

"We have to look at everything,'' he said. "This is the time of year when you get an opportunity to make your football team better. So we're going to look at any and everything that would help us do that."

Mack would pair nicely with 2017 No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett, giving the Browns two monster ends and opposing quarterbacks nightmares. The Browns would have a surplus of ends in that scenario, but are not believed to want to part with 2016 second-round pick Emmanuel Ogbah as part of a package.

Talks between the Browns and Raiders for the disgruntled 2016 Defensive Player of the Year -- whom Cleveland passed on with the No. 4 overall pick in 2014 -- would be a natural. Browns GM John Dorsey and Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie were longtime colleagues with the Packers. Same with Raiders coach Jon Gruden and Dorsey. The two front offices are close and would be willing trade partners.

Josh Gordon to practice Monday with the goal of facing the Steelers

In addition to the Browns' quest for a big turnaround from 0-16, they have more than $58 million in cap, most in the NFL. The New York Daily News reported that the Jet are also interested in trading for Mack.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissaro reported Wednesday that McKenzie has fielded calls about the premier end, but that execs have come away with the vibe that the Raiders have "no imminent interest" in trading him. But that could change if the Browns make an offer they can't refuse.

Pelissaro also reports that the starting point would likely be two first-round picks. But the Browns have some players that could sweeten the pot.

"Reggie McKenzie has had multiple offers to him -- a first-round pick and another high pick," Pelissero said on Total Access. "I've been told he's been offered a player for Khalil Mack. To this point, none of that has gotten anywhere. So what people around the league believe is that to even start the conversation, you're talking about having to offer two first-round picks on top of needing to give [Mack] a top-of-market, $20 million-plus per year contract."

Mack, 27, is heading into the fifth and final year of his rookie contract worth $13.846 million and holding out for a big extension. The Rams' Aaron Donald just signed a six-year extension worth $135 million, including $87 million guaranteed.

Former Browns general manager Ray Farmer had a chance to draft Mack with the No. 4 overall pick in 2014 but traded down to No. 9 with Buffalo and then back up to No. 8, where he drafted collossal bust Justin Gilbert. With the 22nd pick in that round, he tabbed Johnny Manziel.

The Browns could've drafted Mack and Raiders quarterback Derek Carr that year instead of double-busts Gilbert and Manziel, and they could've turned around the franchise four years ago.

Now, they have a chance to correct that mistake and land one of the best players in the NFL.

Mack said via Twitter that he misses playing football. If the Browns can help it, they might change that.