Rookie Tutu Atwell aims for speedy induction into Rams' talented receiving rotation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rookie Tutu Atwell aims for speedy induction into Rams' talented receiving rotation​

Trading for Matthew Stafford qualified as only one piece of the puzzle.

Rams coach Sean McVay was not about to let the veteran quarterback arrive on the scene without adding a speedy receiver to exploit Stafford’s strong right arm and deep-ball capability.

So, the Rams added not one but two players that can stretch the field.

In March, they signed veteran DeSean Jackson. Then they used their first pick in the NFL draft to select Tutu Atwell in the second round.

Those receivers, along with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and second-year pro Van Jefferson, give McVay and Stafford multiple options.

Defenses beware, Woods said.

“We’re going to be coming at ‘em with a lot of speed, a lot of weapons in our rotation,” Woods said this week in a videoconference after an organized-team activity workout. “We’re just loaded at the receiver position. Throughout the game, you’ll be getting hit with a lot of different type of styles.”

Woods, an eight-year veteran, and Kupp, entering his fifth NFL season, established themselves as 1,000-yard receivers in previous seasons. Each received a lucrative contract extension in 2020.

But McVay and general manager Les Snead, who equipped previous offenses with deep-ball threats such as Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks, failed to provide the offense with that option last season. Quarterback Jared Goff’s longest completion was a 56-yard touchdown to Woods.

Seeking more explosive plays, the Rams in January traded Goff and two first-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for Stafford. Then they found him more targets.

Jackson, 34, has been one of the NFL’s most dynamic deep threats for most of his 13-year career. Injuries limited him to eight games the last two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, but he will enter the 2021 season with 56 touchdowns and career average of 17.4 yards per catch.

Atwell, listed at 5-feet-9 and 165 pounds, caught 20 touchdown passes and averaged 16.6 yards per catch in three seasons at Louisville. After the Rams drafted him with the 57th overall pick, McVay described him as “a big-time gift.”

The Rams’ veteran receivers, Atwell said, are helping him acclimate. Jackson has told Atwell to be patient running routes — “It’s all about timing,” Atwell said — and he is confident that everything else will come in time.

“They set the tone,” Atwell said of the veterans, “and I follow.”

Woods only has been on the field with Atwell for a few days, but said the Florida native plays with “a ton of heart and speed” that will help the offense.

“You’ve got to play with swagger,” Woods said. “He has that attitude and knows how to do things with the ball in his hands.”

Atwell said he has never paid attention to those who questioned his size. Instead, he said he focused on doing whatever was necessary to play at the next level of competition.

“I just play with a lot of swag,” he said. “If you don’t have swag, the game won’t be fun, so you got to put your own little swag to it.”

Atwell does not consider himself a one-dimensional deep threat. He said that he was fully capable of catching balls over the middle.

“A big part of it, honestly, is having heart,” he said. “I feel like if you don’t have heart then you shouldn’t be playing football — and that’s one thing I got. So big hits, I’m going to get up. Any type of hit, I’m going to get back up.”

New special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis also is expected to give Atwell opportunities as a kick returner. Atwell returned only four kicks at Louisville — he averaged 21 yards per return — and said returning punts for the Rams “would be a big deal for me.”

But this week and next, Atwell and the other receivers mainly will concentrate on establishing rapport and timing with Stafford.

During workouts, Stafford has sought feedback from receivers about routes and where they like to catch the ball.

When they are studying film individually, Woods said he will record a clip and send it to Stafford with a message such as, “Hey, we haven’t run that concept, but if I get the ball here in this window, this is a great area for us to have being able to have yards after the catch.”

During meetings, Woods said he can whisper, “Hey, if you can throw this backside, I’ll be open for you.’ Just little things like that, communication, building trust so when you do have these looks in the game it’s like you already had a mental rep.”

The goal, Woods said, is to empower all Rams receivers to have confidence in being playmakers.

“As soon as you get in … if it’s your rotation, that you’re out there and you have the confidence that you’re the best on the field and you can make the same plays and dominate like you always have,” he said.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Will LA Rams Tutu Atwell punt PR/KR Nsimba Webster to the bench?​

From the moment that the LA Rams drafted a Louisville speedster at wide receiver named Tutu Atwell with the 57th overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, there has been an abundant number of questions over how the LA Rams might deploy Atwell. You see, he is a bit on the smallish side for a heavy dose of special teams and offensive use. Will he be a special teams player? Will he be used exclusively in offensive sub-packages?

Whether you place your faith in his 2021 NFL Draft profile description of 5-foot-9 and 155-pounds, or his LA Rams’ team profile description where he is listed at 5-foot-9 and 165-pounds, everyone can agree on one thing: Durability will be a question mark for the young man.

Durability is a hefty and important concern for a second-round pick for any NFL team, and when it happens to the LA Rams with their first time selecting in any NFL Draft, it should be officially recognized and addressed. Well, without the official part, it seems like a role for the fleet-footed football weapon has been carved out for Tutu Atwell. He will be a punt returner for the LA Rams in 2021.

Rams rookie Tutu Atwell says he’s “going to play punt return” this season: “It will be a huge, huge deal for me.”
— Greg Beacham (@gregbeacham) May 26, 2021

Now the question is, what will the team do with 2020’s punt returner, Nsimba Webster?

To be honest, Webster should have recognized the signs from the moment that the team hired new special teams’ coordinator, Joe DeCamillis. The next set of clues happened throughout the 2021 NFL Draft when the Rams drafted hyper-athletic players who all seemed to be standouts in special team roles in college football.

Now, at least one such player has claimed that he will return punts for the Rams this year. He may not be the last rookie to make some version of an announcement about an early role on special teams units. In the meantime, LA Rams veterans who played primarily in a special teams’ role in 2020 should be prepared to up their play significantly in 2021.

jap

Legend
DJax & Tutu will be taking off tops & sides off of NFL defenses this season. Matthew Stafford will be a bazooka-armed gunslinger with no-look shooting capability. Cam Akers will be doing his best to have Rams Nation forget about the heyday of Todd Gurley. The Leprechaun declares, "It's the Super Bowl or bust!!!"

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has to win the role. That is important to remember here. That means showing some consistency and impressing. But I sure do like the idea of him getting one or two punts in space per game. He has the explosive speed and quicks that you are concerned with when that kick carries past your coverage control.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He has the explosive speed and quicks that you are concerned with when that kick carries past your coverage control.

A good returner forces directional punts and high punts intended for no return. Eventually a team screws up doing that. So even the THREAT of a good return changes things big.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has to win the role. That is important to remember here. That means showing some consistency and impressing. But I sure do like the idea of him getting one or two punts in space per game. He has the explosive speed and quicks that you are concerned with when that kick carries past your coverage control.

I also want to note that he is a true receiver. His size seem to be tripping people up, but he will probably secure the ball just fine.

Tano

Legend
I also want to note that he is a true receiver. His size seem to be tripping people up, but he will probably secure the ball just fine.
I hope your right.

I just see those legs and think to myself - if a DB gets a pinky on him - he is going down

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams just can't stay away from double named ultra light kick returners. First there's Jo Jo now its Tu Tu.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We remember the great receivers on TGSOT but we don't always remember the special teams contributions they made. Az was a great punt returner (though many remember the fumble in Nawlins) and Tony Horne was a threat every time he touched the ball. It would be nice to have a legit threat in the return game.

MauiRam

Rookie
Tutu I believe will surprise people. He is a far different player than Tavon. Atwell has an uncanny ability to track the football while going at top speed looking over both shoulders if needed to haul it in. He makes contested catches. There is an abundance of film on him displaying those talents. This kid may be small, but he's tough - no alligator arms - he wants the ball & will fight for it.

That said, sure he may get hurt - it's football. I do not see his size as being a major issue. I think he'll be a winner for us ...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A good returner forces directional punts and high punts intended for no return. Eventually a team screws up doing that. So even the THREAT of a good return changes things big.
Yep. Look how a pack of coverage affected Hekker... wasn’t pretty.

Ram65

Legend
JoJo to TuTu sounds good. The Rams missed that juice JoJo gave the team after making a good return and taking a hit. It really seemed to fire up the team. JoJo was a quick tough little dude.

It would have been nice if TuTu had some more college experience returning punts. No mention of high school experience which would be better than nothing. I knew the Rams would have to give him a shot in camp. He mentioned in an interview his desire to play on special teams, so I see him putting in the work to try and win the job. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

The Rams really need to step up the STs game in every phase this year. They did make an effort with this year's draft class to get high-level special teams guys.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Tutu I believe will surprise people. He is a far different player than Tavon. Atwell has an uncanny ability to track the football while going at top speed looking over both shoulders if needed to haul it in. He makes contested catches. There is an abundance of film on him displaying those talents. This kid may be small, but he's tough - no alligator arms - he wants the ball & will fight for it.

That said, sure he may get hurt - it's football. I do not see his size as being a major issue. I think he'll be a winner for us ...
No doubt in my mind Atwell could be a real threat as a punt returner. But being given a look is not the same thing as the Rams giving him the job.

Two reasons not to give him the job: (1) injury risk, and (2) distracting Atwell from putting full attention into learning the offense and the WR plays, which will be a full-time job.

Seems to me that getting Atwell in the offense ASAP should take precedence over punt returns, unless McVay thinks he can do both and hold up physically on the returns.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
No doubt in my mind Atwell could be a real threat as a punt returner. But being given a look is not the same thing as the Rams giving him the job.

Two reasons not to give him the job: (1) injury risk, and (2) distracting Atwell from putting full attention into learning the offense and the WR plays, which will be a full-time job.

Seems to me that getting Atwell in the offense ASAP should take precedence over punt returns, unless McVay thinks he can do both and hold up physically on the returns.

Two Very Good Reasons!!!