Rookie Profile: WR Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 33ab276597

Quick_feature_420_310.jpg

Name: Brian Rumeal Quick

Position: Wide Receiver

Number: 83

College: Appalachian State

Height: 6’3

Weight: 222 pounds

High School Career: Lettered in basketball and football at Ridge View High but didn’t begin playing organized football until his senior season under coach Raymond Jennings…Tallied 885 yards and 11 touchdowns in his lone season playing football…That performance earned him All State, All Region and All Area honors as well as the team’s offensive MVP Award…Landed a scholarship to Appalachian State for his work.

College Career: Took a redshirt for his first year after appearing in two games…Began to make noise as a redshirt freshman in 2008 as he posted seven touchdowns on just 23 catches…Became an All American as a junior as he led ASU with 47 receptions for 844 yards and nine touchdowns…Broke through at a senior with 71 catches for 1,096 yards and 11 scores on his way to becoming a consensus All American and being named the NCAA FCS Subdivision Elite Wide Receiver Award…All told, caught 202 passes for 3,418 yards and 31 touchdowns, all good for school records…Became the highest draft pick ever from Appalachian State.

Need to Know: After playing basketball exclusively his first three years in high school, Quick harbored hopes that he could continue playing hoops at the college level. Upon hitting a huge growth spurt and taking up football as a senior, Quick soon saw his unrealized potential on the football field and began working toward finding an opportunity on the gridiron. Despite playing just one year of high school football, Quick landed a chance at Appalachian State where he became the most prolific wideout in school history as well as a hero for a blocked kick in the Mountaineers historic win at Michigan his freshman season.

He Said It:
“I was a little guy. I was a lot smaller than everybody. I got bigger. I was actually kind of average height. I was like 5’9 or 5’8 in high school playing basketball. My cousin told me ‘Look, you need to play football. I can see you going out there and catching footballs.’ I have it a shot.” – Quick on how he became a football player.

They Said It:
“First of all, you’ve got a big man. He’s tall, 225 pounds, long arms, can catch it. He’s got rare hand-eye coordination so he can go snatch a ball. He’ll get rebounds for us but that same big man can cut on a dime and he can get off the ball really fast. I think we worked out a lot of receivers and this guy was as good or better than all of them.” – GM Les Snead on the appeal of Quick.

“We went to Appalachian State last weekend and we worked him out. We had both of our quarterbacks Tom Brandstater and Kellen Clemens throw and when we got in the car to head to the airport they said, ‘Wow.’ And I think that’s where we were, too.” – Coach Jeff Fisher on a private workout with Quick that sealed the deal for the Rams’ drafting him.

Outlook: Considering his draft position and potential, Quick will almost certainly step in as a starter from day one on the outside. Although he is thought to be just scratching the surface of his potential, Quick will get plenty of opportunities as a rookie though he likely won’t reach his vast potential until he’s been in the league a couple years.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Cosell out today suggesting BQ could end up being the best WR from this years draft.

After doing tape study of Rams rookie Brian Quick, NFL Films' Greg Cosell says Quick has a chance to be the best receiver in the 2012 draft class.

Cosell says Quick and Justin Blackmon ran similar routes in college, and "you can make the argument" that Quick shows more athleticism than Blackmon on tape. "With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class," Cosell wrote of Quick. "I know some teams saw him that way." Picking Quick at No. 33 was viewed as a "reach" in draftnik circles, but league evaluators saw it much differently.

My initial reaction to the pick was that it was a reach. The more articles, like you posted, the more excited I become about BQ's potential. I think that this years draft was lacking elite WR talent but we may have stolen the best. IMO BQ's upside is potentially higher than Blackmon and Jenkins, maybe not has high as Floyd's tho